Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scope choices for Rimfire and Centerfire

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Thanks John!

I am the poster boy for rabbit holes when it comes to identical.

The 3-9s have adjustable objectives and are intended for airguns/rimfires. They will adjust down to 10m. They are just 3-9 instead of 2-7 with tighter eyeboxes, shorter eye relief and fine duplexs.

I would just get a 3rd one of them and put it on a one of the centerfire rifles but the eyebox is noticeably smaller and the eye relief is about an inch shorter.

I had thought about swapping out and getting a 2-7X33 Rimfire scope on everything but I am not sure how much parallax would affect the centerfire shots. I know from personal experience using the 2-7X33 centerfire Leupolds on rimfire scopes that parallax can throw off a shot on a squirrel. That is why I originally got the 3-9 EFR scopes. I have never tried the reverse though with a short parallax scope on a rifle intended to shoot at 100-400 yards.

Always a problem with me.
    I just put one of the VX Freedom 2-7x33 Rimfires on a Marlin 60. Sighting it in at 25yds, parallax was an issue above about 5X. I then pushed the target back to 100 and maxed out magnification to 7X and had zero issues with parallax.

I'm pretty big into rimfires and also an optics geek. In the past I've had one of the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR Rimfire Target scopes. Trying to squirrel hunt with that thing was a nightmare. Everyone talks about how great the EFR (Extended Focus Range) scopes are for rimfires, but outside of a bench with known distance I've found them to suck because they're just too sensitive. Like, the difference between setting the parallax adjustment on 10yds and 20yds is enough to give you trouble with the shot.

Generally speaking, I just use the "Rimfire" Leupolds on .22's. They're supposed to be parallax free at 60yds and I've not had issues with them out to 200yds. On my 10/22 Target model, I replaced the Leupold 6.50-20 EFR with a Leupold 4.5-14 Tactical AO. It has the capped target style turrets and the AO goes down to 25yds, which works well enough for me. Unlike the EFR scopes, which have multiple revolutions to the AO, the standard AO is only about 180 deg revolution to go from 25yds to Inifity and as such, setting it somewhere in the middle (100yds) is perfectly useable for most field conditions, but it can be dialed down if shooting at close range.

In your situation, I'd sell both those EFR scopes (they bring a lot right now), but the 2-7x33's on the centerfires and pick up a VX-Freedom 2-7x33 for the rimfire.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I just put one of the VX Freedom 2-7x33 Rimfires on a Marlin 60. Sighting it in at 25yds, parallax was an issue above about 5X. I then pushed the target back to 100 and maxed out magnification to 7X and had zero issues with parallax.

I'm pretty big into rimfires and also an optics geek. In the past I've had one of the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR Rimfire Target scopes. Trying to squirrel hunt with that thing was a nightmare. Everyone talks about how great the EFR (Extended Focus Range) scopes are for rimfires, but outside of a bench with known distance I've found them to suck because they're just too sensitive. Like, the difference between setting the parallax adjustment on 10yds and 20yds is enough to give you trouble with the shot.

Generally speaking, I just use the "Rimfire" Leupolds on .22's. They're supposed to be parallax free at 60yds and I've not had issues with them out to 200yds. On my 10/22 Target model, I replaced the Leupold 6.50-20 EFR with a Leupold 4.5-14 Tactical AO. It has the capped target style turrets and the AO goes down to 25yds, which works well enough for me. Unlike the EFR scopes, which have multiple revolutions to the AO, the standard AO is only about 180 deg revolution to go from 25yds to Inifity and as such, setting it somewhere in the middle (100yds) is perfectly useable for most field conditions, but it can be dialed down if shooting at close range.

In your situation, I'd sell both those EFR scopes (they bring a lot right now), but the 2-7x33's on the centerfires and pick up a VX-Freedom 2-7x33 for the rimfire.
    Thanks ASH.

Do you find the MOA hash marks on the Freedom 2-7 distracting? I have only ever really used duplex and the reticles in my other 2-7s are Duplex. The only non-duplex reticle I have ever had was on a Accupoint 1-4 with the triangle and I hated it/had problems picking an aiming point with it.

Your idea was actually my initial thought but the differences in reticles were what I was hung up on. That was why I was originally thinking about just buying 2 more of them and using them on the centerfires. That was before I thought about just getting Leupold to swap the reticle. I could either do that on the Freedom Rimfire or have it done on both of the VX2s.

That was before I got down into the weeds of getting something nicer.

I will add my 2 cents even though I only hunt varmints and steel. Most of my rifle shooting has been with a "busy" reticle for over 20 years, BDC, mil or MOA grid, etc.

I have a 4-16x SFP mildot on one 22 with an adjustable parallax from 10 yards to infinity. The other has a 6-24x FFP with a christmas tree style reticle and similar parallax adjustment. I shoot paper at 25 or 50 yards once in a while but mostly steel at 25-300 yards, and the occasional ground squirrel at various distances. Dialing or dealing with a duplex reticle gets old so I using the provided lines on the reticle to hold based on what my ballistics calculator tells me.

I have similar scopes on my precision rifles but are higher quality glass with mil based reticles. One of my ARs has a BDC based 1-4x LPVO and the other has a 1-8.5x mil reticle. Inside of 400, the BDC works but overall I prefer a mil reticle on all my rifles.

Once you get the hang of a mil or MOA grid reticle, I doubt you will ever go back.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Thanks ASH.

Do you find the MOA hash marks on the Freedom 2-7 distracting? I have only ever really used duplex and the reticles in my other 2-7s are Duplex. The only non-duplex reticle I have ever had was on a Accupoint 1-4 with the triangle and I hated it/had problems picking an aiming point with it.

Your idea was actually my initial thought but the differences in reticles were what I was hung up on. That was why I was originally thinking about just buying 2 more of them and using them on the centerfires. That was before I thought about just getting Leupold to swap the reticle. I could either do that on the Freedom Rimfire or have it done on both of the VX2s.

That was before I got down into the weeds of getting something nicer.
    When I first took the scope out of the box I was disappointed at the BDC reticle as I had not expected it, but in use I found it to not be an issue.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List