Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rear BUIS in front or in back of MRDS?

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    They installed the plate to the slide originally. After it came loose I remounted using SoCalDep’s method.
    Interested in learning SoCalDep's method.

I've become skilled in bedding scope mounts "stress free" to receivers using JB-Weld. I believe the judicious use of JB-Weld on a plate could be beneficial.

Shamelessly stolen from SoCalDep regarding his agency run optics program:

Optic Mounting Steps:
    1- Inspect pistol to ensure it is compliant with policy and has backup iron sights
    2- Inspect the optic to ensure it is an authorized model and is functional
    3- Test fit the optic, plate (if applicable) and screws to ensure they are compatible
    4- Degrease all interacting parts (slide/plate threads, screws, excess oil in optic cut or on plate)
    5- Apply Loctite 248 to the screw threads where they will engage with the plate and or slide threads
    6- Tighten the screws until resistance is felt then apply alternating torque until the specified torque spec is reached
    7- Apply indicator marks (I prefer oil-based paint pens – put the paint on something and then apply with a toothpick unless you really like taking risks)
    8- Co-witness the reticle to the backup iron sights to make zeroing easier
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Shamelessly stolen from SoCalDep regarding his agency run optics program:
    Thanks!

Not to derail, but I believe this is relevant to the use of plates. This is a link that describes the process of bedding a rifle scope mount to a receiver. In my case, I used this process on a Remington 700 (where it's really needed) and a Savage Mk II;

https://www.murphyprecision.com/Page/Scope_Base_Bedding

The primary purpose on a rifle is to ensure the mount does not deflect when tightening the screws for "stress-free" scope mounting (rings perfectly aligned on an unstressed base). The epoxy used (in my case, JB-Weld) is also a powerful bonding agent that keeps the mount tight and stable under all conditions with no chance of movement (no release agent used except on the screws). Judicious use of a torch softens the epoxy if and when the mount must be removed, so obviously this process can NOT be used for a direct-mount optic or for mounting the optic to a plate.

My plan is to mount the plate to the slide using this method. A thin layer of JB-Weld is applied, the plate is set in place and the screws gradually snugged over a period of a few minutes to gently squeeze out any excess epoxy. During that time, JB-Weld cleans up nicely with WD40 and Q-Tips. Once the JB-Weld has cured, the screws are removed, cleaned and re-installed with Loctite and torqued to the correct value.

Based on my experience with this method, I can be confident that the plate will not move and eliminate any possibility of the plate/slide interface being the source of dot drift.

In the photo below you can see the JB-Weld under the mount where it filled the gap between the receiver and scope base due to the imperfect fit typical of these parts;

Just a word of caution regarding sending your slide to CHWPS- they took my slide in early October 2020, promising a 3-4 week turnaround. After getting multiple “almost finished” updates upon monthly check-ins, I finally got my slide at the end of February 2021 after the owner said I “was being a Richard” (his words).
    I appreciate you sharing this experience. I have read similar commentary elsewhere.

After much Internet sleuthing, I discovered there are not many places that will mill a PPQ slide. So far I could only find one, and they don't mill for the MRDS I have in mind.

So it seems CHWPS may be the only game in town for what I want to do. So I'm taking a cautious approach and ordered the plate I want to have it in-hand before I send the slide for milling. Already there are signs of not-so-speedy service - the plate I ordered was listed "in stock" and four days after ordering, I had not received any tracking information. I called and was informed that they're waiting for screws (that come with the plate) and it will be "a few weeks" before they have them. Good thing I'm taking the cautious approach and am not in a hurry.

Once I get the plate (whenever that is) and evaluate if it meets my expectations, I'll make my decision on proceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I appreciate you sharing this experience. I have read similar commentary elsewhere.

After much Internet sleuthing, I discovered there are not many places that will mill a PPQ slide. So far I could only find one, and they don't mill for the MRDS I have in mind.

So it seems CHWPS may be the only game in town for what I want to do. So I'm taking a cautious approach and ordered the plate I want to have it in-hand before I send the slide for milling. Already there are signs of not-so-speedy service - the plate I ordered was listed "in stock" and four days after ordering, I had not received any tracking information. I called and was informed that they're waiting for screws (that come with the plate) and it will be "a few weeks" before they have them. Good thing I'm taking the cautious approach and am not in a hurry.

Once I get the plate (whenever that is) and evaluate if it meets my expectations, I'll make my decision on proceeding.
    I will say I was happy with how quickly CHWPS shipped my last two part orders.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I will say I was happy with how quickly CHWPS shipped my last two part orders.
    I have had a number of Chip Wiz orders in the last few months, and all have come quickly, and the products have been excellent.

Recently, I took a SRO off a PDP on a Chip Wiz plate, dropped it on a 320 slide with a Chip Wiz plate, and the zero was exactly the same at 25 yards.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I look forward to getting my PPQ set up with a MRDS on the sight-forward plate!

I'm leaning RMR Type 2 RM06-C-700672 now, but have some time to make the final call before I have the milled slide in-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I look forward to getting my PPQ set up with a MRDS on the sight-forward plate!

I'm leaning RMR Type 2 RM06-C-700672 now, but have some time to make the final call before I have the milled slide in-hand.
    I just had my P365 milled by Culper. Beautiful work! Friendly people.

I think having the PPQ milled for a direct mount would be better than having it milled for a plate. With direct mount, the optic sits lower.

Better yet, get the PDP. As much as I love my PPQ, the PDP is better. Better grip texture, better iron sights and better optics options. The PDP uses plates, but the slide is milled so that, even with the plate, the optic sits much lower than other pistols. The PDP uses CHPWS plates and you can get one plate free from Walther.

I believe the dynamic trigger you ordered will fit the PDP. A PPQ holster will not.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

I think having the PPQ milled for a direct mount would be better than having it milled for a plate. With direct mount, the optic sits lower.
    Culper is still a consideration, though having the entire slide coated is not something I want to do. The only optic option they list that I would be interested in is the 507K, which is OK but my preference remains a RMR. Looks like Dawson Precision could be a source for higher sights to work with it.

I appreciate the feedback!

User Tag List