Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear BUIS in front or in back of MRDS?

Rear BUIS in front or in back of MRDS?

I'm planning to install a MRDS on my 5-inch PPQ using CHPWS to mill the slide and install a Walther plate. The plate I'm planning to use is offered in two versions: one with the BUIS to the rear and the other with the BUIS in front of the RDS.

I'm looking for feedback on the advantages/disadvantages of the forward placement. I'm thinking that with the BUIS in front, it provides a cleaner view of the window and with a 5-inch barrel still provides a 5-inch sight radius (about the same as my EDC PPS). Right now I'm leaning toward having the sight forward of a 508T Gen 2, but as always I value the input of those who have experience with this.

As a side note, I also have a Walther Dynamic Performance Trigger inbound, and I'll be placing an order with JMCK for a new OWB holster.

TIA for your insight and advice!

I have my sights behind the RDS in its traditional position. In some of my Glocks, the rear sights have come loose or drift. It is much easier to adjust them with conventional sight pushers if they are in the rear. Otherwise, I don't really see them when shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I have my sights behind the RDS in its traditional position. In some of my Glocks, the rear sights have come loose or drift. It is much easier to adjust them with conventional sight pushers if they are in the rear. Otherwise, I don't really see them when shooting.
    I don’t have any sight forward pistols, but I was considering it before I decided to go naked on my carry guns. The adjustment issue is something I never thought about.

One thing I like about the rear position is that they serve as a protection for the RDS.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

(By the way, that PPQ is dead sexy.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    (By the way, that PPQ is dead sexy.)
    Thanks Ken!

BTW, we need to get together to throw some lead.

I have them milled behind the optic but mainly because it looks aesthetically better to me and is cheaper. I slightly wish I had the sight dovetail milled in front of the dot though, if for no other reason than to have the lens get less debris on it while firing since it would be farther from the ejection port.

The red dot you have in mind is great. I have 4 of them and love them.

I have a very strong preference for the rear sight in front of the optic, so it doesn’t tear up me and especially my clothing. I have probably spent more money on torn shirts than on rear sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My CZ 75 has the rear sight behind the RDS. When (if?) My P30 ever returns with the dot mounted, the rear sight will be in front of the RDS. That is the default location for Wright Armory. The only advantage I have heard is that the rear sight can obscure the dot when mounted behind the RDS, whereas if it is in front, the dot will be in view. I have only been running a dot on my CZ for about six months and have never encountered a problem like this.

I should add that Cajun Gun Works installed sights that are very low in the window, so its almost impossible for the rear sight to obscure the dot. I really like the work they did.

Thanks to all for your responses!

I will now admonish myself for not using the search function;

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-front-of-RMR

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-behind-optic

May be worth revisiting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    The red dot you have in mind is great. I have 4 of them and love them.
    Chinesium was never in consideration, but they have obviously come a long way. The 508T Gen 2 has everything I'm looking for and from what I have read, are excellent optics.

User Tag List