Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: If You Hadn't Gone Glock, What Would You Have Gone With?

I moved on from Glock in the Gen 3 years. If I was to go striker fired polymer again these days and it had to be optics ready, I would take a hard look at the M&P M2.0, CZ P10 and FN 509 handguns. As for me these days though I prefer DA/SA and the Beretta 92, CZ P09 and P07 work pefrect for me.

I'm becoming convinced that I need to move back to Glock myself.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    S&W and FN gave me more pistol duds than any other brand besides Kel Tec. However, my two Shields are reliable, and I have not owned one of the recent M&P's but hear that they work. I would not buy an FN or Kel Tec to test either. I own three reliable 1911's but years ago relegated them to woods and stream adventures where I carried them in a flap holster with an empty chamber. I have owned several BHP's and never had a lemon. When my wife and I traveled with two small boys, I carried one then because the mag disconnect served to make it safer in storage while in a motel. This is not the forum to discuss single actions. I have owned and shot them for over 50 years and see them as superb woods companions. My two favorites are the New Model BH in 41 mag, 4 5/8 inch barrel and New Vaquero in 45 Colt, 51/2 inch barrel. The New Vaquero has a smaller frame. It now resides in my sock drawer.

Listening to Clusterfrack, I bought a P-07 and consider it to be outstanding in every way. The term super solid selection sticks in my head.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I did briefly go Glock, back when the Gen 3 was fresh. From there I went to the PX4. Latterly, I have mostly fooled with 9mm 1911s even though I will never really trust the best of them as defensive pistols. My gut tells me that the PX4 or some flavor of 92 is the right answer for this old cat, the former being the more cost-effective of the two and also probably the one less likely to be... umm... "lemony" on an individual basis.

The Glock Gen 5 G19 sure seems like it would be the easy button, though. Too bad I am striker-phobic nowadays.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

My first handgun was a 1911. I still have it. My second was a Gen 2 19. I sold it within a year, and it took a long time to “circle back”.

If Glocks were all to disappear, the only one I’d really miss is my 43. I shoot it freakishly well for its size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    My first handgun was a 1911. I still have it. My second was a Gen 2 19. I sold it within a year, and it took a long time to “circle back”.

If Glocks were all to disappear, the only one I’d really miss is my 43. I shoot it freakishly well for its size.
    I still have the 1911 I bought new in March of 1970 for $115. Before then I was shooting everybody else's GI 45 brought home from the war. My early 3rd generation Glock 26 shoots like a a ray gun. I once took great pleasure using it to outshoot my cop buddies and take their money. This was late in the day. I don't drink, but they would be half drunk. Since I bought the beer and food for these hunting and fishing trips I don't feel too bad. Having a weirdly accurate firearm is indeed a pleasure.
    Last edited by willie; 01-17-2022 at 09:59 PM.

User Tag List