Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Hadn't Gone Glock, What Would You Have Gone With?

If You Hadn't Gone Glock, What Would You Have Gone With?

I got a Beretta for my lady after she expressed an interest in my dad's INOX 96 and we finally got to take it shooting yesterday.

She learned to shoot on Glocks and has tried other pistols, but when she shot the Beretta she looked over at me with a delighted look on her face and said "this is it!". Made me think I should've taken more time exploring other brands.

So I'm curious - if you hadn't decided to roll with a Glock, what would you be using right now and why?

Some parameters:

Needs to be able to have a red dot (RMR or Holosun)
    Mostly reliable factory mags (which IMO would eliminate the Staccatos)
    Can find well-made AIWB holsters for it
    Last edited by Jay585; 01-02-2022 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Awkward sentence I had to revise
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Smith M&P was the best alternative at the same time I went with Glocks. A few years later it would have been an HK VP9.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I haven’t found a semi auto use/need/want that I cannot fill with either a Glock or a Beretta. So for me no Glock means getting something from Beretta. No Beretta means getting something from Glock.

If I were forced into some awful universe where all the Glocks and all the Berettas ceased to exist entirely I’d probably go with HK and/or CZ.

All in all tho, as long as the pistol is reliable and doesn’t go bang when it shouldn’t, pretty much everything else as far as issues is something that can probably be trained around.

CZ P10C Optics Ready would be choice #1 for a G19 replacement. As much as I want to love the M2.0, the grip never really meshes with my hand, and the optics mounting system doesn't seem to be very popular. However, the M2.0 has the best thumb safety option, if you're looking for that. The P320 is a contender, but I still don't trust Sig's general production QC to put a safe and reliable pistol of that complexity onto the market - especially given the production pressures from the DOD contract and other large LE contracts.

Having said all that, I spent the day on Friday shooting nothing but DA/SA pistols - the P228 and P2000, specifically. While they don't offer easy optics mounting options, even with my 56 year old eyes, they were plenty easy to be ringing steel all the way back to the 80 yard line shooting standing unsupported, so I'm not sure that an optic is all that "must have" right now. If you're willing to forego the optics requirement, the P2000, P30, P229, P226, and P07 would all be "no brainer" places to start for an EDC pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Over the last 25 years, I've gone through this evolution of carry guns:
    S&W TDAs
    HK
    Glock
    Sig p320
    CZ P-07
    Ruger LCR

and ended up with:

CZ P-07, Glock, LCR.

I will never own another S&W, 1911, or Sig. I like HK, but don't have a need for them.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm one of those people that doesn't really like Glocks and wishes they liked them more. If I liked them, it would be really hard to go with anything else. No other company is as consistent about offering literally the same gun in every size you would need. Lots of companies have their "Glock killer" with the caveat that it's only such if the only Glock you need is a 19 or a 17, or maybe a 26 if you're lucky.

Sure, lots of other companies have guns in all the right sizes, but they're often not the same gun, usually because the trigger and/or safety features are different. Brands with good DA/SA pistols are an example. Their G43 equivalents are all striker fired, almost always without decent manual safeties or an SCD type feature.

It seems if you aren't carrying Glock, you're likely compromising on the consistency across your carry options to one degree or another. The only other way I can see to get to the same place is if you go with Sigs or non-safety-equipped M&Ps.

HK hammer-fired, especially if the dot isn't a hard requirement.
    If it is, Beretta.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

I switched from M&P 2.0’s to Glock Gen 5’s so if there wasn’t any Glock, I’d still be with M&P.

Though right now I’m on a serious 1911 kick so who knows.

At the time I decided to settle on Glocks, my next choice would have been Sig. Only the Classic P-2xx series was an option then.

If I had to switch now it would almost certainly be the Beretta PX4 Storm. I've only rented and tried three different pistols recently -- Walther PDP, Beretta 92, and PX4. The PX4 was the one I shot best with groups comparable to my Glock. It was surprisingly "familiar" for being a gun I never shot before.

M&P or, later PPQ.

User Tag List