Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Hadn't Gone Glock, What Would You Have Gone With?

Beretta or HK, with an honorable mention to the M&P or maybe even P320.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

For my EDC? M&P most likely.

If the Shield Plus would have come out sooner, I could have easily ended up carrying one of them rather than the G48.

For a range toy? M&P 2.0, VP9, and maybe a Turkish made example or two.

I would probably go all in on DA/SA guns with Beretta ala Langdon Tactical.

If I wanted striker fired, I think S&W would probably be the best option. Massive availability, parts, service, holsters, cheap magazines, etc..

I am also a fan of the offerings from Walther.

CZ P07 or P10c direct milled for optics.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

LTT Beretta 92 Centurion with Holosun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P320/P365 family with manual safeties, my 1911's would stick around.

Site Supporter
    I’m not sure that eliminates staccatos, at least the most current ones. It’s a gun that certainly seems to run best as a closed system with the exception of MBX mags. From what I’ve heard, and the little experience I have with staccatos, that seems to be holding true.

To your question though, when I was shopping for my first gun (which ended up being a Glock) I very nearly bought a Beretta 92a1. Since then I’ve tried to switch away from glocks to the FN 509 MRD, P30v1 with L&M RDS plate, a full house LTT PX4 compact with RDO cut, a LTT 92 centurion, and a sig p226 with some GGI parts. For one reason or another, I went back to a G45 MOS from each of these. For most of them, it was because I just didn’t shoot them any better than a Glock with a red dot, so it wasn’t really worth switching all my support gear over and dealing with whatever quirks that particular gun had. It’s been frustrating because I genuinely like all of those guns more than I like glocks. I think if I were to switch, and wanted to keep things as glocky as possible, I’d probably go with the M&P 2.0. As it is, I’m thinking about picking up a Staccato C2 and getting it milled for a dot. The ones I’ve shot have been undeniably easier to shoot well, especially with one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I'm one of those people that doesn't really like Glocks and wishes they liked them more. If I liked them, it would be really hard to go with anything else. No other company is as consistent about offering literally the same gun in every size you would need. Lots of companies have their "Glock killer" with the caveat that it's only such if the only Glock you need is a 19 or a 17, or maybe a 26 if you're lucky.

Sure, lots of other companies have guns in all the right sizes, but they're often not the same gun, usually because the trigger and/or safety features are different. Brands with good DA/SA pistols are an example. Their G43 equivalents are all striker fired, almost always without decent manual safeties or an SCD type feature.

It seems if you aren't carrying Glock, you're likely compromising on the consistency across your carry options to one degree or another. The only other way I can see to get to the same place is if you go with Sigs or non-safety-equipped M&Ps.
    I have a G19 and it does nothing for me. There is never a day when I go the the range and I think "Hey. I should take the Glock to the range." Pretty much the only time that it goes is when I know someone who wants to try one out. I did take it to the GSSF match a few years back and came in 3rd out of 40 in my class.

There are way too many nicer pistols to shoot. HK makes a P30 and a P30sk, and that is all the options I need. I just picked up a VP9 OR and it's turning out to be a lot of fun.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    If this was a question about when Glocks first became popular and they didn't exist then? A 3rd Gen Smith - EDC a 3913LS most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I have a G19 and it does nothing for me. There is never a day when I go the the range and I think "Hey. I should take the Glock to the range." Pretty much the only time that it goes is when I know someone who wants to try one out. I did take it to the GSSF match a few years back and came in 3rd out of 40 in my class.

There are way too many nicer pistols to shoot. HK makes a P30 and a P30sk, and that is all the options I need. I just picked up a VP9 OR and it's turning out to be a lot of fun.
    I'm in precisely the same boat. I've been a G19 for duty guy for the last 20+ years, but, if someone waved a Harry Potter wand and made all the GLOCKs in the universe disappear, I'd be perfectly OK. There are way too many other options that match it's accuracy and reliability that don't require anywhere near as much effort on my part to shoot well.

User Tag List