Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Various Used Revolvers @ Centerfire Systems

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Somebody buy that Model 67 before I’m forced to.
    That made me a little drooly.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I couldn't resist the 2" 12-2 RB. Thankfully someone bought that 2" nickel 36 with the old Rogers grips on it....

Site Supporter

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Dammit...got a third issue Dick Special coming. @Tokarev owes me a beer.

I guess I don't need that 3" Python now.
    I just got it in and am pretty pleased with it. It appears almost unfired, and I think I cleaned off some of the original factory preservative when I went over it. There's some very small and unobtrusive (6-8 pt.) electropenciled writing on the frame right below the cylinder window on the right and the same letters and numbers on the cylinder, from which I infer that it was a PD gun originally. There is zero wear on the bluing, though there are a few nicks that would be consistent with handling for inventory control over the years. According to Colt's website, it dates to 1972, so I've got an almost-new 50-year-old revolver.

The range report and photo will follow in the "What did you shoot today?" thread.

Site Supporter
    Well, dang! It doesn't work. The cylinder will only make it half as far as it needs to when you pull the trigger at normal speed or cock it to fire single action. It'll go all the way when I really yank it, but that doesn't help with sight alignment. I don't know if it's a mechanical issue or just gummy lube on the inside. I'm going to see what I can find on YouTube.

When I could get it to fire, it was quite accurate.

Well, dang! It doesn't work. The cylinder will only make it half as far as it needs to when you pull the trigger at normal speed or cock it to fire single action. It'll go all the way when I really yank it, but that doesn't help with sight alignment. I don't know if it's a mechanical issue or just gummy lube on the inside. I'm going to see what I can find on YouTube.

When I could get it to fire, it was quite accurate.
    Gummy lube.

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? That would be the easiest way. But barring that pull the cylinder off, cock the hammer back (Colts can be cocked with the cylinder open). And dump it in a bowl of very hot water and dish soap. Rinse it with hot water under the faucet. Blow it out with compressed air. Decock.

Then after all that remove the side plate. At that point you hopefully won't have much gunk left. Lube with whatever (I'm still a silicone oil rated for incidental food contact guy).

Just keeps you from trying to scrub all the bits and pieces of a Colt. Of which there are more than a comparable Smith.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Gummy lube.

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? That would be the easiest way. But barring that pull the cylinder off, cock the hammer back (Colts can be cocked with the cylinder open). And dump it in a bowl of very hot water and dish soap. Rinse it with hot water under the faucet. Blow it out with compressed air. Decock.

Then after all that remove the side plate. At that point you hopefully won't have much gunk left. Lube with whatever (I'm still a silicone oil rated for incidental food contact guy).

Just keeps you from trying to scrub all the bits and pieces of a Colt. Of which there are more than a comparable Smith.
    I pulled the cylinder/crane assembly and pulled off the sideplate and cleaned and lubed what I could get at without further disassembly. There was a lot of dried stuff in there that I could see and probably some that I couldn't see. I've got it running (dry fire) in DA but it won't carry up when I thumb-cock the hammer in SA. I don't need the SA, but the fact that it's not working probably means that there's still crud in there somewhere. I'm going to go to the range again today and run some ammo through it DA, come home and pull the side plate and give it a thorough soaking in Tri-Flow, and let it sit overnight. Then I'll blow it out with canned air and see how it works.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    I couldn't resist the 2" 12-2 RB. Thankfully someone bought that 2" nickel 36 with the old Rogers grips on it....
    The 12-2 turned out to be a great deal! A few minor finish issues on the cylinder and trigger guard, but it times perfectly and locks up super tight. Detail stripped it and there was almost no wear on the anodizing inside the frame or on the crane. Other than the minor cosmetics it is practically new! I am completely happy with it. I chopped the hammer spur down and put an old t-grip on it.

Site Supporter
    I pulled the cylinder/crane assembly and pulled off the sideplate and cleaned and lubed what I could get at without further disassembly. There was a lot of dried stuff in there that I could see and probably some that I couldn't see. I've got it running (dry fire) in DA but it won't carry up when I thumb-cock the hammer in SA. I don't need the SA, but the fact that it's not working probably means that there's still crud in there somewhere. I'm going to go to the range again today and run some ammo through it DA, come home and pull the side plate and give it a thorough soaking in Tri-Flow, and let it sit overnight. Then I'll blow it out with canned air and see how it works.
    The Tri-Flow soaking didn’t help. I actually found a local-ish gunsmith who works on Colt revolvers and brought it to him. He’s got it fixed, said that someone had messed with it and he had to rebuild the hand and bolt. I’m working today so I’ll pick it up tomorrow. It’s just a chance you take when you buy something without checking it out.

Site Supporter
    Name:  E3FD28F7-2CD4-46B9-AFD4-F1677411C179.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  50.6 KB

All ready to hit the range!

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    All ready to hit the range!
    Congrats on an awesome find!

-Rainman

User Tag List