Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint's next "big announcement" ???

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A micro ACRO for smaller guns could be a thing but how are you going to mount an enclosed optic to a footprint which requires top mounted screws ?

IMHO the cross bolt mounting system of the ACRO is one of it’s most under appreciated features. Mounting is 50% or more of the optic durability equation.

A “slim line” ACRO footprint would be a much better choice.
    Good point, I’m just thinking about how many small pistols now are set up for the RMSc footprint. Maybe a thin adapter plate?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

If they did a “T3” I would want the ability to switch between dot and a Eotech type “circle dot” reticle.
    I'm told that this is likely impossible to do without significant parallax issues that are less noticeable on handguns, but can be more readily seen when shooting longer distances with long guns. EOTechs being a HWS get away from this issue due to being able to project on multiple planes, while RDSes are inherently single plane. Or so I was told.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'm told that this is likely impossible to do without significant parallax issues that are less noticeable on handguns, but can be more readily seen when shooting longer distances with long guns. EOTechs being a HWS get away from this issue due to being able to project on multiple planes, while RDSes are inherently single plane. Or so I was told.
    SIG and Holosun are able to do it and the SIG 4M and 4T, and the Holosun 515 ("military") series have passed various LE and military testing.

SIG and Holosun are able to do it and the SIG 4M and 4T, and the Holosun 515 ("military") series have passed various LE and military testing.
    What do you mean by "do it"? I'm not disputing that putting in the ring reticle is totally doable (I know the MRO HD also has the circle, and I remember using multiple reticles back in my old NcSTAR airsofting days), but the question is more of how much utility does that ring give for long guns, given the alleged parallax issue, and whether the pros outweight the cons. Though I'll stress again that this is simply what I've read from a relatively reputable source, and am not stating that it is an absolute fact I know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen Lee
    LED diode is not capable of producing a multiple plane reticle like an EOTech and still able to keep it somewhat parallax free. All optics have parallax but if you use a diode reflective design, you can only stick to the single dot and still guarantee some type of parallax free, which you can see from any Aimpoint products, they don't have any fancy reticles. Where as EOTech you can have a multiple plane reticle because they use a laser projection which does eliminate that parallax issue with the reflective diode. The Holosun design is not as apparent as in a handgun RDS, but for rifle, you will notice parallax as your engagement distance increases.
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/9299...72061376230563
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 01-05-2022 at 12:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What do you mean by "do it"? I'm not disputing that putting in the ring reticle is totally doable (I know the MRO HD also has the circle, and I remember using multiple reticles back in my old NcSTAR airsofting days), but the question is more of how much utility does that ring give for long guns, given the alleged parallax issue, and whether the pros outweight the cons. Though I'll stress again that this is simply what I've read from a relatively reputable source, and am not stating that it is an absolute fact I know for sure.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/9299...72061376230563
    For users who mostly use carbines at room and < 25 yard distances and moving targets, the ring reticle has considerable utility.

Given some of the users running 4M's (FBI) and 4Ts (DHS/ICE and UK SAS among others) I would expect to hear about parallax issues if they were significant but I can ask around. The 4Ts are still fairly new but the 4Ms have been is use for several years and the only complaints I'm aware of on the 4M's are cheap mounts failing and random electrical failures killing some of the sights.

Site Supporter
    For users who mostly use carbines at room and < 25 yard distances and moving targets, the ring reticle has considerable utility.

Given some of the users running 4M's (FBI) and 4Ts (DHS/ICE and UK SAS among others) I would expect to hear about parallax issues if they were significant but I can ask around. The 4Ts are still fairly new but the 4Ms have been is use for several years and the only complaints I'm aware of on the 4M's are cheap mounts failing and random electrical failures killing some of the sights.
    I'm a poor civilian not FBI, but I did have a random electronics failure on a Romeo 4M a few years ago and haven't bought a Sig optic since. One quarter of the segmented circle reticle just stopped working. That same weekend my brothers Romeo 4B completely died after some light rain. Sig replaced both, but both new units went to ebay as soon as they arrived...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I'm a poor civilian not FBI, but I did have a random electronics failure on a Romeo 4M a few years ago and haven't bought a Sig optic since. One quarter of the segmented circle reticle just stopped working. That same weekend my brothers Romeo 4B completely died after some light rain. Sig replaced both, but both new units went to ebay as soon as they arrived...
    That matches the random electrical failures mentioned above. The 4M was something of an odd duck because at least the government supplied ones were imported as parts kits and assembled by a third-party vendor in the US to comply with the letter, if not the spirit of some federal acquisition rules.

Site Supporter
    That matches the random electrical failures mentioned above. The 4M was something of an odd duck because at least the government supplied ones were imported as parts kits and assembled by a third-party vendor in the US to comply with the letter, if not the spirit of some federal acquisition rules.
    To my knowledge, Sig would claim that all of their optics are US assembled, at least the higher end Romeo 4 models. I've also seen at least one Romeo 5 dead out of the box. There's no reason that they shouldn't be just as good as Holosun, right? But here we are...

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    So it's a slightly heavier, slightly scaled back, cheaper T-2?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List