Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: choosing a bolt action rifle to help me get better at shooting bolt action rifles

Site Supporter

choosing a bolt action rifle to help me get better at shooting bolt action rifles

I guess this might be a New Year's resolution, but this year I intend to work on my rifle shooting. I've enjoyed the "Rifle Caliber for Hunting in the West" thread and it caused me to re-think my pending purchase decision. My initial plan was to buy a Tikka T3x in .308 Win and shoot it as much as I can. However, now I wonder if I shouldn't get a T3x in .223. Expense and recoil is less with the .223. My goal is to become a "good" shot out to 300 yards from field positions, ultimately with a deer/elk capable cartridge. I'm not interested in bench rest shooting as an end unto itself. I have a Ruger No. 1 in .270 Winchester that I hunt with, so I don't need the new rifle for anything other than a practice gun. Right now I'm leaning toward the .223, but I'd appreciate any advice that anyone cares to share. Thanks.

I think the .223 bolt gun is a good plan. Even .308s are hard on me anymore so I enjoy my Savage 16 in, of course, .223. Remember the rule, though. .223 in a .556 chamber but not the other way around. A good rimfire to practice with is also a great idea, even if its not a bolt action. Good luck!

Tikka T1x + NRL22 targets ( and download stage descriptions)+ a couple bricks ammo would be a nice ROI (time and money wise) for making a person a better all around bolt gun shooter from field positions...

My , at the time, pre-teen son became a much rifle shooter (and hunter), from a relatively small number of competition specific practice sessions and NRL22 matches. I am an advocate of leaving the bench and the prone/bipod position that most rifle shooters employ and either:
    1. Improving basic rifle skills with a sling ala traditional 3/4 position nra style competition technique either with either rimfire or center fire equipment
    Or
    2. Get better at "field/improvised" type practical shooting via PRS/ NRL type shooting with NRL22 being the lowest barrier of entry, equipment wise.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Site Supporter
    I agree with the competition suggestion for most rapid improvement. I shot 3- and 4-position smallbore for a few years in HS back when none of us could afford Anschutzes, mostly through 4-H. Air rifles could be another fun option although I've never owned a good one. You could get a good sporter-stocked one and get in some really good practice with trigger manipulation including follow-through.

I think there are non-military High Power Rifle classes that allow you to shoot bolt rifles in .223 or other more affordable caliber with scopes. Pretty expensive sport to get into, though, if you want to be competitive. I dabbled in Service Rifle on a semi-local level 10 years ago or so...it was a good ole boys' club and I was 30 years younger than anyone else, so I didn't really fit in too well. And it was still expensive.

I'd check out what your locale offers first, then pick a sport that seems fun and a gun to shoot in it. NRL-22 is something I hope to try in the next couple of years. Just need to put a scope on a rifle I already have and pick up some ancillaries.

This may or may not fit the niche that you're seeking, but if you can find a CZ 527 in either .223 or 7.62x39 I'd jump on it before they become unobtanium (or ridiculously priced obtanium).

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    .22LR and/or .223 would be the way to go for your stated goals.
    Specific rigs may vary.

I have owned both the varmint barrel and sporter barrel version of the T3 .223 and both were amazing shooters. I sent the varmint barrel down the road simply for the fact that it really did not shoot any better than the skinny barrel gun did (and that is really saying something) and was way easier to pack in the field. The skinny barrel .223 accounted for probably 50 coyotes and shot some groups that was one of the reasons I seriously slowed down building custom bolt guns. I found zero reason to spend $$ starting with a Remington action, truing it, getting a custom barrel, etc, etc, when an off the shelf Tikka was more likely than not going to out perform it, have a better extraction system/be more reliable in the deep winter.

The only reason I got rid of it was I found I was hunting more with an AR. In retrospect I wish I would have kept it. It was such an amazing shooter.

Personally I would find an 8 twist T3 and not look back. I know a couple guys that use them to hunt deer with. I am not talking about little Whitetails but Mule Deer. They let their kids use them as "kid guns" and saw how easy they were knocking down the mulies, and decided to try it for themselves and put away their big guns. The one thing each of those guys have in common is that they are very accomplished shooters, but I still think it is interesting.

Anyways, my advice is to grab a .223 Tikka and a bunch of reloading supplies (if you reload). Mine would put 52 grain SMKs into tiny little clusters, and was hell on yotes.

Kimber's first real hunt when I think she was 5. She was immensely proud that we got a couple.

Anyways,

No question in my book, and I have used CZs, Savages, Remingtons, and Winchester .223s. Probably one or two I don't remember now

I would get a T3. Top it with an SWFA and a good sling and get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I guess this might be a New Year's resolution, but this year I intend to work on my rifle shooting. I've enjoyed the "Rifle Caliber for Hunting in the West" thread and it caused me to re-think my pending purchase decision. My initial plan was to buy a Tikka T3x in .308 Win and shoot it as much as I can. However, now I wonder if I shouldn't get a T3x in .223. Expense and recoil is less with the .223. My goal is to become a "good" shot out to 300 yards from field positions, ultimately with a deer/elk capable cartridge. I'm not interested in bench rest shooting as an end unto itself. I have a Ruger No. 1 in .270 Winchester that I hunt with, so I don't need the new rifle for anything other than a practice gun. Right now I'm leaning toward the .223, but I'd appreciate any advice that anyone cares to share. Thanks.
    Have you considered the Project Appleseed?
    https://appleseedinfo.org/

Duces

Based on recommendations of several friends, Caylen Wojcik's classes are excellent.
    https://moderndaysniper.com/services/

I would choose a decent .308, with a good mil/mil FFP scope.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My unsexy advice for learning basic rifle marksmanship would be to buy a good .22 bolt action and a couple cases of ammo.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List