Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for hydration drinks/powders?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Pedialyte if you can choke it down.... I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yes.

A lot of people use oral rehydration supplements way too liberally. Unless you're in extreme conditions for prolonged periods of time, they're usually unnecessary if you're eating 3 meals a day, and even still are not meant to serve as your primary source of hydration.

ETA: That, and misuse of the supplement, like diluting it down and drinking it slowly throughout the day. That doesn't engage the same physiological response of how they're meant to be used, at a specific ratio, consumed within a limited window of time.
    Yeah this. It turns out evolution did a pretty good job with the kidney (don't mean to brag or anything ). When you are dry you will feel thirst. Water does a great job at fixing that. Barring underlying heart/kidney disease, your body will hold onto all of the salt it needs until you are volume re-expanded.

Pedialyte and similar are really best used for intractable diarrhea. The sugar in these drinks helps your gut take up salt that it is otherwise wasting because of the cytotoxic effect of GI bugs on your colonic mucosa. Gatorade works too but not quite as well per oz so you have to drink a lot more. Expect interesting colors in the toilet bowl.

I like mother nature for hydration. The key to avoiding dehydration is to be properly hydrated in advance of serious sweat output.

If you're drinking heavily, straight liquor, without mixers (the sugar fucks you up worse) - balance each drink with equivalent amount of water. Drink in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I likely drank the Kool-aid, but post hard workout I like pickle brine. Just a couple of ounces. I don't use the expensive prepackaged supplement. I like pickles on my sandwiches, so I just do a shooter of the brine. When I buy pickles I add a couple of crushed cloves of garlic, some black peppercorns, and a couple of dried red chiles and let them pick up the flavors and make yummy sandwiches. I do it with dills and sweet pickles. Sometimes homemade pickles. When the jar is out of pickles I add a bit of potassium chloride as I finish the brine.

I drink a good bit of water preworkout. Usually a litre, followed by my beet based preworkout drink. The latter was recommended by my doc as I am trying to use exercise and diet to control my BP before trying meds. Seems to be working.

I also like extra dirty martinis with extra olives on the rocks.

I have also believed that electrolite replenishment for the most part is way overblown in a first world country. When I was running marathons I alternated water and 'aid at each station, and on half marathons I alternated nothing, water, and 'aide. Diluting sports drinks with water has been the recommendations for heat casualties since I was running EMS almost 30 years ago.

pat
    Which beet supplement are you using? I’ve tried a few but the one I like (beet elite) is getting harder to find at reasonable prices.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    Which beet supplement are you using? I’ve tried a few but the one I like (beet elite) is getting harder to find at reasonable prices.
    Power Beets from Sam's Club. $27.00 for 60 servings. I like Beet Elite, too, but way espensive around here. High glycemic enough to mix with creatine.

pat

For what it's worth there is an age-driven effect of high blood pressure. Highly recommend lifestyle as first attempt as you get many other benefits too, but at some point age often wins. Most people do well on a low dose of a single BP med. Highly recommend amlodipine as it has a great effect/side effect ratio, unless you also have diabetes in which case there is good evidence for an ACE inhibitor (eg lisinopril) or an ARB (losartan)

Home made hydration solution

https://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

The "Simple Solution" - Home made Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS) Recipe

Preparing 1 (one) Litre solution using Salt, Sugar and Water at Home Mix an oral rehydration solution using the following recipe. Ingredients:

Six (6) level teaspoons of Sugar
    Half (1/2) level teaspoon of Salt
    One Litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled - 5 cupfuls (each cup about 200 ml.)
    Back when I was young, I found this useful when training in an un-air conditioned gym in 95 F + weather. Way cheaper than Pedialyte and basically as effective.

Site Supporter
    Zero experience. Woot.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
    https://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

Back when I was young, I found this useful when training in an un-air conditioned gym in 95 F + weather. Way cheaper than Pedialyte and basically as effective.
    That’s the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Gatorade works too but not quite as well per oz so you have to drink a lot more. Expect interesting colors in the toilet bowl.
    Another reason to prefer drinks without coloring. ;-)

Gatorade Fruit Punch flavor:
    WATER, SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CITRIC ACID, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, NATURAL FLAVOR, GLYCEROL ESTER OF ROSIN, RED 40, CARAMEL COLOR

There are better options.
    Last edited by peterb; 01-01-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    When I am lazy, I tend to go 1 liter of water, for every 1 liter of store bought, 1 Pepsi max soda at lunch and the pattern repeats itself.

At Philmont, it was 2 liters of water for every 1 liter of flavored (Gatorade) and so on. “Clear and copious” output was the stated goal.

At Gunsite in June IIRC, it was 1 liter of water, 1 liter of their Gatorade mix which was about 1/2 strength and alternate. They of course had toilets right off the range with a color chart on the wall.

When I plan for a 3+ day class in MO/OK/KS in July-October I use 1 liter water then 2 liters Gookinaide/Vitylyte, 1 soda for lunch and repeat in the afternoon for 126-196. oz of total fluid intake during the shooting day.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List