Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Sometimes, putting two teenagers together, can bring out the worst in them. Maybe this applies to all age groups.

I don’t know Ken, but Bill is very inventive and constantly looking for the better mousetrap. The 1911 in 9mm is a perfect example — Wilson Combat really jumped on it and made these pistols sing. .300 HAM’R, 320 grip modules, the improved Brig Tac’s and on and on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Unfortunately this is the trend I'm seeing with Hackathorn.

Hate saying it...I'm "old school", and back in the day, learned a hell of alot from his writings and demonstrations. And I do respect the hell out of the man for his career and contributions to The Way.

But he's making himself less and less relevant these days. Last few vids I've seen posted have me rolling my eyes.
    With this one, after he took a jab at everything that’s been happening with regard to advancements in the last 5 years or so, including AIWB (yes, I know aiwb has been around since forever, bear with me) I was just waiting for him to point at the camera and say “all you need is a 45 auto LW Commander and a Summer Special.”

Like I said, I respect both of them for their contributions to the industry and the craft, but that video was 30 minutes of “Get off my lawn,” and not even the funny way either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Like I said, I respect both of them for their contributions to the industry and the craft, but that video was 30 minutes of “Get off my lawn,” and not even the funny way either.
    We all get old and eventually irrelevant. The key is to adapt or else we become Charo… a caricature of who we think we are in our head.

Name:  680D4A6E-F29E-455F-B6CE-2DE44B157A9D.jpeg
Views: 767
Size:  24.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Ego isn’t going to let them go quietly into the night.

My crystal ball says that they’ll hang onto glory days and get cringier and cringier with their videos…
    The sad part is it doesn’t have to be that way.

People tend to forget that for a long time Jeff Cooper was an innovator. The problem is he was an innovator until at some point he stopped trying new things.

Contrast that with Pat Rogers who retained a if there’s a better way let’s find it attitude and was making positive contributions to the shooting world right up until he passed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sometimes, putting two teenagers together, can bring out the worst in them. Maybe this applies to all age groups.

I don’t know Ken, but Bill is very inventive and constantly looking for the better mousetrap. The 1911 in 9mm is a perfect example — Wilson Combat really jumped on it and made these pistols sing. .300 HAM’R, 320 grip modules, the improved Brig Tac’s and on and on.
    Which makes the resistance to Pistol and Optics all the more curious.

Both of these guys were around 20 and 30 years ago when the same arguments they are now making with regard to pistol optics were made with regard to carbine optics.

Not to mention the fact that pistol optics benefit older shooters and otherwise vision compromised shooters more than those with perfect vision. This is not exactly a revelation, older bull’s-eye pistol shooters figured this out 20 years ago. It just took a little while for the technology to catch up on the Timmy side.

Pistol optics and more significantly mounting systems are not the equal of carbon optics at this time. But pistol mounted optics today are at least where carbine optics were in the early GWOT i.e. Not yet perfected but of enough practical used to be worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

People tend to forget that for a long time Jeff Cooper was an innovator. The problem is he was an innovator until at some point he stopped trying new things.

Contrast that with Pat Rogers who retained a if there’s a better way let’s find it attitude and was making positive contributions to the shooting world right up until he passed.
    Which makes the resistance to Pistol and Optics all the more curious.

Both of these guys were around 20 and 30 years ago when the same arguments they are now making with regard to pistol optics were made with regard to carbine optics.

Not to mention the fact that pistol optics benefit older shooters and otherwise vision compromised shooters more than those with perfect vision. This is not exactly a revelation, older bull’s-eye pistol shooters figured this out 20 years ago. It just took a little while for the technology to catch up on the Timmy side.

Pistol optics and more significantly mounting systems are not the equal of carbon optics at this time. But pistol mounted optics today are at least where carbine optics were in the early GWOT i.e. Not yet perfected but of enough practical used to be worth the trouble.
    Great points.

Ego is a killer but all it does is fool themselves. It doesn’t fool anyone else like they think it does.

The issue really is:

They need red dots but can’t swallow the pride long enough to work the learning curve to realize the benefits.

It’s clear to anyone who has put in the work that they’re just fooling themselves.

I appreciate the innovators and history, but at some point if you’re not moving forward and continuing to advance you get left in the dust. People scrabble and fight to hold onto their past glory but that’s a fool’s errand.

It’s no different than in any field. Nobody really cares about what you did 2, 5, 10 or 20 years ago if you fail to stay relevant.

I was pleasantly surprised when they started offering factory optic mounts and cuts to their EDC X9s. I can only assume that wise decision was made in the business office.

Back in the day I had to have mine milled by Nighthawk.

That's exactly right. I would've given this 10 likes if I could.
    I don't mind them bitching a bit about things because some stuff they said was fair. The youtube personalitrainers, people who run AIWB without any clues how to, even the optics part since we are just getting to where they are maybe trustworthy. What makes it so negative in my eyes is that rather than using his experience and position in community to improve on things, whether it AIWB curriculum or optics use development, Ken just presents it that he wished that those things has never happened.
    People moved to classes that allowed junk carry about the same time when Vickers, and Pat Rogers for that matter, banned even IWB in their classes for liability concerns. So maybe Ken could own up to his generation of trainers of not giving their students what they wanted.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That's exactly right. I would've given this 10 likes if I could.
    I don't mind them bitching a bit about things because some stuff they said was fair. The youtube personalitrainers, people who run AIWB without any clues how to, even the optics part since we are just getting to where they are maybe trustworthy. What makes it so negative in my eyes is that rather than using his experience and position in community to improve on things, whether it AIWB curriculum or optics use development, Ken just presents it that he wished that those things has never happened.
    People moved to classes that allowed junk carry about the same time when Vickers, and Pat Rogers for that matter, banned even IWB in their classes for liability concerns. So maybe Ken could own up to his generation of trainers of not giving their students what they wanted.
    It's not like AIWB is a recent development. Both Chic Gaylord and Bruce Nelson were carrying AIWB and making AIWB holsters in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't AIWB myself but done properly there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm not sure how much actual cop work KH did or did not do but I am aware Nelson spent 20 years working the street as a state narcotics agent.

Name:  Bruce Nelosn.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  20.0 KB

It's not like AIWB is a recent development. Both Chic Gaylord and Bruce Nelson were carrying AIWB and making AIWB holsters in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't AIWB myself but done properly there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm not sure how much actual cop work KH did or did not do but I am aware Nelson spent 20 years working the street as a state narcotics agent.

Name:  Bruce Nelosn.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  20.0 KB
    Whose photo is that, HCM?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

My recollection is Bruce Nelson designed a “Summer Special” before Milt Sparks popularized it. His had one strap as I recall, and he carried AIWB. Bill Jeans used the same holster to carry AIWB, before many of our current trainers were born. I also have a Nelson OWB holster for a 1911. You corresponded with him by mail to purchase a holster. Believe his wife was a lawyer and President or Chairwoman of the NRA.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List