Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Site Supporter
    About visual reference. I've known three men who could break 25 skeet birds in a row shooting from the hip. They could also pop doves doing this stunt. However, they could not accomplish the feat with an 18 inch barrel shotgun. They needed the visual reference of a longer barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I was texting with a friend from pf this morning and something occurred to me. There seems to be more push back with some shooters not because they think red dots are bad but maybe just not for them, right now. when rds shooters hear this the reaction seems to be to treat those people as fudds or like they are now somehow unarmed/not prepared because they are using irons. Others have said it before but group think is a hell of a thing.

before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand rds is the future, yada yada
    Vegans, crossfitters, firemen, dotters.........
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I was texting with a friend from pf this morning and something occurred to me. There seems to be more push back with some shooters not because they think red dots are bad but maybe just not for them, right now. when rds shooters hear this the reaction seems to be to treat those people as fudds or like they are now somehow unarmed/not prepared because they are using irons. Others have said it before but group think is a hell of a thing.

1) I have no problem if you (not you BT, the Royal you) try a red dot, and decide it's not for you.

2) I have a problem with people who try a red dot, and decide it's not for me. THOSE are the people I have a problem with.

* and as mentioned up thread, observing these discussions over in the Gen Pop forums, the boomer population seems to be over represented in category 2: I bin shootin' fer years. Ya'll don't need them chinee-commie gadgets, soon as break if you look at 'em. I mean hell all you'll do at close range is point shootin's anyway.

** PS I'm a boomer.

Site Supporter

I think this has softened a little bit since the late 2010s Roland Special obsession, but it's definitely a thing. You kinda get the same thing with WMLs from some people.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    1) I have no problem if you (not you BT, the Royal you) try a red dot, and decide it's not for you.

2) I have a problem with people who try a red dot, and decide it's not for me. THOSE are the people I have a problem with.

* and as mentioned up thread, observing these discussions over in the Gen Pop forums, the boomer population seems to be over represented in category 2: I bin shootin' fer years. Ya'll don't need them chinee-commie gadgets, soon as break if you look at 'em. I mean hell all you'll do at close range is point shootin's anyway.
    i agree with that and my assertion is the opposite. I run into way more people who act like if you dont have a dot, you suck then people telling dot shooters they are dumb for having a dot. I also shoot with mostly people around my age, 32.

edited to add, and I think you would agree Rich, the whole argument or chest beating is dumb. just shoot and have fun!

i agree with that and my assertion is the opposite. I run into way more people who act like if you dont have a dot, you suck then people telling dot shooters they are dumb for having a dot. I also shoot with mostly people around my age, 32.
    It's a well known fact boomerism can start early...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The student/instructor thing is very interesting. When people post on PF, and elsewhere, are they wearing the shoes of instructor or student?
    Can you wear one of each?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I am not observing that, but maybe I am missing those posts.

Not that it matters, but my personal view is that most shooters would do better using iron sights on their defensive handguns. For motivated and dedicated shooters, I believe the red dot offers many advantages over iron sights.

I am respectful of whatever decision they make on their sighting system. Where the rub comes, is when someone else tells me what decision is right for me. Do you feel others are trying to tell you what YOU should be doing, or is there just so much red dot love on PF you are getting sick of hearing about it? Between dots, 1301 shotguns, Rattlers, Lipsey's J frames and .32, we can be a funny group.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Can you wear one of each?
    I think at your core, you self identify as only one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Where I hang out in the real world, you know that ancient forgotten realm beyong the internet.........

I find RDS in the had of the AARP crowd far more than the younger set. I see it far more with the older bullseye shooters whose eyesight has gone south. The youngsters seem to be far more interested in there Gucci bedazzled Wick turbo blasters and AR15s.

That and competition circles. Competitors often forget how very niche their shooting sports are and how the majority of gun owners have never heard of split times and alpha/charlies.

edited to add, and I think you would agree Rich, the whole argument or chest beating is dumb. just shoot and have fun!
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List