Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Is it me, or is Ken's understanding of what RDS offers and how to work out its presentation without 1000 rounds lacking?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Is it me, or is Ken's understanding of what RDS offers and how to work out its presentation without 1000 rounds lacking?
    No, it's lacking.

It's also biased. It's only logical that someone who has spent decades shooting pistols with irons at a high level isn't going to magically reverse that in a thousand rounds, or a few thousand though, most of the work necessary to overcome that can be done in dry fire.

IME new shooters take to RDS like ducks to water and starting them with RDS then laying iron sights.

Personally, having put the work in, I am now faster with a dot. Timers and targets don't lie.

I've also found that while I can somewhat keep up with iron sights with RX glasses, when the Mike Tyson factor comes into play, i.e. no more RX glasses, I perform significantly better with the RDS.

Also while we haven't returned to 2019 prices, 9mm ball isn't anywhere near $700 a case.

The only two things in that video I agree with are the significance of the interface between the gun and the RDS and that closed emitter optics like the Aimpoint P2 are the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

The only two things in that video I agree with are the significance of the interface between the gun and the RDS and that closed emitter optics like the Aimpoint P2 are the future.
    I did agree with dot people sometimes having issues with transferring gun to support hand. I see issues with that all the time in shooters up to G level. I also think he's right that dot means more involved maintenance.

Overall, tho, what I've observed as a pattern in people who have spent some time with the dot but not truly invested in it is that their thought process is reduced to "dot is better past xx yards but I am good until then and that's kinda is all that's needed". Things like target/opponent focusing, superior low light capabilities, superior hit / miss reading (i.e. shot calling), big advantages in shooting on the move / moving targets is never a part of their opinion.
    Last edited by YVK; 12-31-2021 at 02:00 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I watched the whole video and other than a couple of chuckles I didn’t get much out of it. Well, there was that one pitch/plug for the Wilson P320 grip modules.

I’ve got a lot of respect for both of these men for all they’ve contributed to the industry over all the years but that video wasn’t exactly their finest hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I watched the whole video and other than a couple of chuckles I didn’t get much out of it. Well, there was that one pitch/plug for the Wilson P320 grip modules.

I’ve got a lot of respect for both of these men for all they’ve contributed to the industry over all the years but that video wasn’t exactly their finest hour.
    Ego isn’t going to let them go quietly into the night.

My crystal ball says that they’ll hang onto glory days and get cringier and cringier with their videos…

I did agree with dot people sometimes having issues with transferring gun to support hand.
    It is funny, but in my case off-hand shooting the dot is a huge help. But my off-hand shooting is really weak, so probably anything helps. And Ken mentioned having more difficulty doing a press-out, I think doing a press-out helps me.

Overall, tho, what I've observed as a pattern in people who have spent some time with the dot but not truly invested in it is that their thought process is reduced to "dot is better past xx yards but I am good until then and that's kinda is all that's needed". Things like target/opponent focusing, superior low light capabilities, superior hit / miss reading (i.e. shot calling), big advantages in shooting on the move / moving targets is never a part of their opinion.
    Yeah, I am the toe in the water phase, but I can do pretty much everything better, and pretty much did from the first range day with one. I think the times when I couldn't find the dot I made a crappy draw and was just fixing to miss the target anyway. I think with new shooters they also wouldn't be able to get the sights properly aligned either.

Seems like topics like this there is a tendency in the enthusiasts community to make absolute proclamations on stuff like this.

Hopefully all the new dot users obsess over sealing plates, batteries, screws, torque specs, proper sun angle, lockout / in modes...etc

Really, I hope they do.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

My crystal ball says that they’ll hang onto glory days and get cringier and cringier with their videos…
    Unfortunately this is the trend I'm seeing with Hackathorn.

Hate saying it...I'm "old school", and back in the day, learned a hell of alot from his writings and demonstrations. And I do respect the hell out of the man for his career and contributions to The Way.

But he's making himself less and less relevant these days. Last few vids I've seen posted have me rolling my eyes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

And all it would take is a “let’s talk to x” who’s been working with dots, and bam. Both sides could get some new viewers from their respective age groups.

User Tag List