Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Reference Ken's belief that the regular AM test is easier with iron sights, I can confidently say that the turbo version of the AM test is easier with a dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm kind of curious as to what those irons shooters with less than perfect eyesight do on the range? Do their shooting glasses match their prescriptions, or do they have shooting glasses especially optimized for shooting? Is getting a good focus on one's sights while wearing trifocals doable?
    I told my eye doc I needed an arm length focal plane in the top part of my glasses. I guess I have quadfocals now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm kind of curious as to what those irons shooters with less than perfect eyesight do on the range? Do their shooting glasses match their prescriptions, or do they have shooting glasses especially optimized for shooting? Is getting a good focus on one's sights while wearing trifocals doable?
    I don’t focus on the sights. I focus on the target.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Yes, and I don't believe in 'shooting glasses' because of my SD orientation. When I am on DA STREETZ, I don't use shooting classes with different focal characteristics. I wear my normal progressives in life and shooting. Three dot or Glock Stock sights - I shoot decently with them.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Yes, and I don't believe in 'shooting glasses' because of my SD orientation. When I am on DA STREETZ, I don't use shooting classes with different focal characteristics. I wear my normal progressives in life and shooting. Three dot or Glock Stock sights - I shoot decently with them.
    Same. @GJM turned me on to Verilux X progressive lenses, and they were a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I use really big, brightly colored front sights and a really deep, wide rear notch.

Air Marshall scoring

Reading more carefully, hits just have to be in the bottle to score 5 points, and not in the 4x6 scoring area I was using, per the written instructions with the Air Marshall test.

That kind of changes things, and makes it so much easier. I am frankly dumbfounded by such a loose accuracy standard.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Reading more carefully, hits just have to be in the bottle to score 5 points, and not in the 4x6 scoring area I was using, per the written instructions with the Air Marshall test.

That kind of changes things, and makes it so much easier. I am frankly dumbfounded by such a loose accuracy standard.
    LOL

Continuous ambiguity about correct target is a problem. Shooting Illustrated article quoted somewhere above talks about hits on inner bottle as counting for 5 points. Inner bottle shape also makes more sense from anatomic standpoint.

Name:  Screenshot_20240213_181132_Chrome.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  19.1 KB
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Back in my hard training and constant competitions days, I used the FAM test as my cold start of practice test. 3 targets, 30 rounds, it did not take too much time to run. It was very good at demonstrating what I needed to work on in the practice session.

Then I saw Todd's FAST and it was a lot simpler. The FAM test got left in the bin of old COFs like a broken toy. If I wanted to push hard on a test I used Defore's Pistol test #1.

Now with old age, Arthritis and Rotator Cuff problems, I'm lucky to get a FAST and some 4" dots practice in after doing rifle work. Waaa, waaa! Poor old me.

Gringop (mighty big talk for a 4 eyed, old fat man)
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List