Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    You may well be right. I was thinking that at least in Wilson Combat's specific audience, maybe not, but I've been around for a short enough time that I could be completely off base.
    Mike S has won a lot of IDPA matches. And has/had sponsorship from Wilson.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’d put Seeklander at least on a par with Hackathorne in influence as a trainer.
    Among the Tx IDPA diehards I shoot w/ at least on par or more-so & that vid w/ Paul was the fella I’ve known since late 2004, what ya saw is what ya get.

Hey Mods- this may be a good one for the Optics section.

There's lots of good RDS stuff going on here.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I’d put Seeklander at least on a par with Hackathorne in influence as a trainer.
    Not to mention I’m confident Seeklander could pass the Air Marshal Qual with a dot…

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not to mention I’m confident Seeklander could pass the Air Marshal Qual with a dot…
    Only if he's the 1%er....

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I know it's turned me away from wilson. I don't care about someone's past conduct, I care about the type of person they are now. It comes off elitist and I could really care less to spend money at wilson based on that
    I was raised to respect and listen to my elders, because that's how humans picked up crucial info prior to Reddit.

Don't write off anyone except obvious idiots (I'm talking to you WolfmanDan). You never know what nugget might be useful to you. Test things for yourself. Keep what works and jettison the rest.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I was raised to respect and listen to my elders, because that's how humans picked up crucial info prior to Reddit.

Don't write off anyone except obvious idiots (I'm talking to you WolfmanDan). You never know what nugget might be useful to you. Test things for yourself. Keep what works and jettison the rest.
    I listen to my elders until they prove to be narrow sighted. At a certain age the wisdom to age windows begins to narrow.

I can't get past the "You're doing it wrong", " Aiming is useless", that sort of clickbait bullshit.
    You forgot Watch Till the End!, I typically do not watch from the beginning on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I get the feeling that they hired a marketing firm that’s doing way more harm than good in the long run, and they don’t have the social media savvy to realize what they’re being sold.
    Does sound like advice from someone(s) that might be social media savvy, and gun savvy, but not gun savvy to the level folks like us are.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Earlier today, I spread steel targets across a wide bay, and took a video of how I keep my arms (turret) extended, and use my legs to move my hips between targets.
    Back to the Thread Drift!
    Yesterday I worked on using my upper body more like a gun turret as advised, just like I preach on the skeet field.
    We didn't setup the exact array of the other time, and that brought on an extra lesson, since I slowed myself down looking for a target we didn't place in that spot this weekend.
    The lighting conditions and lack of target visibility from shooting into the sun at unpainted steel standing in the shadows necessitated looking slightly over the optic (perhaps exacerbated by the characteristics of the SRO, and it was pretty dirty), but went well. Now I need to keep at it until the habit is ingrained.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You forgot Watch Till the End!, I typically do not watch from the beginning on those.

Does sound like advice from someone(s) that might be social media savvy, and gun savvy, but not gun savvy to the level folks like us are.

Back to the Thread Drift!
    Yesterday I worked on using my upper body more like a gun turret as advised, just like I preach on the skeet field.
    We didn't setup the exact array of the other time, and that brought on an extra lesson, since I slowed myself down looking for a target we didn't place in that spot this weekend.
    The lighting conditions and lack of target visibility from shooting into the sun at unpainted steel standing in the shadows necessitated looking slightly over the optic (perhaps exacerbated by the characteristics of the SRO, and it was pretty dirty), but went well. Now I need to keep at it until the habit is ingrained.
    If you can recreate this situation, this might be a perfect opportunity to put some painter tape over the front of the SRO to verify that you are fully target focusing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That...was a meandering series of straw men, red herrings and false dilemmas.
    Were it anyone else my reaction would be mockery and very pointed sarcasm, but this was kinda disheartening.

So this one...well...there ain't much to say that's good.

I shot the FAMS TPC weekend before last after I saw this video. I passed. I shot it on a B8 as I didn't have the proper target, but if you can pass it on a B8 then there ain't much question that you can pass it.

The FAMS TPC is no joke when shot as intended...truly concealed and cold. But the dot doesn't add any complexity to any of it. The tough part about the TPC is the par times. Especially the requirement to do it twice and not go over a combined figure. You don't have to get it right once, you have to get it right to a tight time standard twice in a row and oh, by the way, your job is on the line. (...and now you can see where Todd's requirement to run the FAST twice with something on the line comes from) Maintaining the level of proficiency required to do that first time every time takes significant sustainment work that far exceeds what your typical sworn, armed officer/agent/whatever is going to be doing. It's designed to be a high velocity impact directly to the testes to force people to work at it and maintain an incredibly high level of proficiency.

If someone is doing the kind of work that is required to be able to roll out of the car and pass the TPC cold, they're not going to have any problem finding their dot during the draw unless they've never used one and you just hand them a pistol with a dot on it and make them run it. If someone is used to doing fast draws with a front-sight-high presentation and they haven't yet figured out they need a level presentation of the gun to make the dot appear, they'll most definitely struggle to make the par times in the TPC.

But once they figure that out...they'll be fine. If one is used to being able to make hits with the front sight not in the rear notch...which is completely do-able and even useful...at speed, not being able to do that with a dot will most certainly be disconcerting.

The grain of truth in Ken's statement is find me somebody who can pass the TPC cold from concealment full stop. That's a pretty small number of people. I certainly can't guarantee that I'll pass the time requirements every time on all the stages. Fuck up one reload...which often happens from concealment...and you're toast.

The AIWB carry part of it is something that was thoroughly gone over back when Larry The Felon "banned" it from his classes. I noted at the time that having spent an embarrassingly large amount of money with him (I've paid handsomely for my opinion) there was never a medical kit or med plan in evidence. Ever. And the rationalization that it's not not a class on the draw when the draw is the fundamental skill of using a handgun doesn't wash. But Larry would say anything to keep his gravy train rolling. And having been in a couple of real clusterfuck classes where it was just him teaching a line with more than 25 people on it with hardly any individual coaching and no capability to maintain an acceptable level of safety...well, I found the protestations to be hollow.

"When somebody shoots themselves in my class, they're only shot a little bit!" isn't really a good tag line, you know?

There are elevated levels of risk with AIWB carry. PF is one of the rare places where that risk has been validated and mitigation strategies have been embraced. I don't carry a striker-fired gun without a safety precisely because I expect to fuck up one of the thousands of reholsters of a loaded pistol I perform every year. My Glocks have SCD's. My M&P's have a manual safety. I'm not terribly worried about the bit of the striker that interacts with the sear breaking off as I've not seen a single example of that anywhere on an M&P. Fully cocked hammer fired guns can break and drop a hammer, too...but Ken doesn't have an issue carrying a customized 1911 with no firing pin block, right?

So he's right in that there is some level of risk there, but it's not far off of the risk of carrying a true 1911 pistol. You know...the kind of 1911 pistols that Wilson sells. So that one is a little bit silly.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 02-12-2024 at 01:11 PM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List