Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Gah dang, y’all need to stop dropping great posts; my like button is getting wore out.

Love the way this thread is meandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    It could just simply be a matter of individual pros and cons which are of course subjective and not without biases.

I took a red dot pistol to a Paul Howe course and received the same individual instruction and attention as everyone else. Maybe even a tad more in observation.

No snide remarks in any way. Very professional and top notch.

At least thats my personal interpretation.
    A tad jaded as Paul was/is a mentor/friend/neighbor but PROFESSIONAL instruction w/out a lot of judgement is the CSAT way period.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I can think of nothing better than to spend an afternoon with Ken talking firearms history.
    I have known him for a long time (since I was a bushy headed 20yo in my avatar) and he is a great guy, and I owe a lot of my development to him. But this is a polarizing issue and he is polarizing it a bit, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I made a pretty smooth transition to the dot, and I attribute this to three things:

1. I bought the exact same pistol I had been shooting for several years and had it direct milled
    2. I put a large (SRO) window dot on it
    3. I use a press-out presentation I have been trying to utilize since 2006
    Similar experience so far. I've been shooting 1911s recreationally since the first time I shot a pistol, I've been carrying and focusing on them since 2019, and my recent dot switch involved direct milling 1911s. In my case I have the small-windowed EPS Carry but it's super low in the slide such that the dot is pretty much in the same place where I'd look for my irons. I think that has all helped.

At the very least, sticking with one platform you're familiar with seems to be a good idea to make the process as painless as possible.

Damn Hack, I ordered 25 of those targets today.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I taught my children to shoot with dots first, then irons when they got older and wanted to try out “old fashioned” guns out of novelty. For them at least, it seemed that it was much easier for them to go from dots to irons that it was for me to go from irons to dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been shooting Indoor GSSF Matches for a couple of years now. I stated off shooting iron sights and last year made the transition to a Holosun MOS. I found I could not track the dot as easily as the Dawson Sights. Recently I went back to the Dawson Sights and found my shooting with them has improved. Just a personal observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I have been shooting Indoor GSSF Matches for a couple of years now. I stated off shooting iron sights and last year made the transition to a Holosun MOS. I found I could not track the dot as easily as the Dawson Sights. Recently I went back to the Dawson Sights and found my shooting with them has improved. Just a personal observation.
    I'm finding my time to first shot on target has improved slightly when I go back to irons. Not a significant amount though. I'd say I gained .1 to .2 on average. I attribute this to the need for a better index when using a dot. The dot made me work harder.

Long range (>15 yards)/small target accuracy is still much better with the dot though.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Gah dang, y’all need to stop dropping great posts; my like button is getting wore out.

Love the way this thread is meandering.

Rich - I couldn't agree more. There are good threads here - and then there are iconic threads here. This is definitely one of the latter.

The sheer depth of knowledge, but much better - sharing that knowledge, plus their experience, is what truly sets pistol-forum apart.

To everyone that has contributed so far - thank you from one of the all-time leaders in the lurker category.
    Last edited by 11B10; 02-03-2024 at 12:07 PM.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by “tracking the dot?”

User Tag List