Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good thing this discussion of ED is in GD, or we would have to move it to long guns.
    Optics section, amigo, optics. It is not about if you use 7 inch rail or 11 inch. It is about how long your battery lasts.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Optics section, amigo, optics. It is not about if you use 7 inch rail or 11 inch. It is about how long your battery lasts.
    I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and a a like for this, because English is not your first language and I figure as a doctor you probably know something that I don't understand.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

because English is not your first language and I figure as a doctor you probably know something that I don't understand.
    That's kinda my excuse to my admin for every bad patient's survey I get.

Back to the topic at hand, as a smaller sub-topic, I wonder what Ken's opinion on target focused shooting in general might be. Not just the dots, any sights.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I respect you immensely and don’t want to say anything that seems disrespectful or is meant to be irritating.

Watching Ken’s shooting videos in the past year, he’s not shooting that great. Especially at speed.

He will often miss shots but the slow motion shows excellent trigger presses and mechanics as you would expect.

Which suggests that the limiting factor is vision.

He wears glasses and is of the age where vision and focus can get difficult.

Many competition shooters experience this decrement, only to have immediate restoration of vision and accuracy of hits with red dots.

So that’s my assessment. If Ken wants to shoot better (basically to his mechanical potential), he “needs” a red dot.
    Ken never does a re-shoot for his videos. When he shoots a drill, he does only one take and lets the hits fall where they may.

Ken has his flaws, just like everyone else I know, myself included. But he's a man of good character, much to be admired for his accomplishments.

If I ever had to go into a dark place, Ken is high on my list of those I'd want with me.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    And as others have noted/speculated, there may be a Wilson P365 in the near future and probably a grip module, etc. And what is one of the features of the P365XL? ... pre cut for SIG's Romeo zero dot. What's to say that in a few months there won't be a click bait video with a title something to the effect of "The (insert brand name, now available at Wilson Combat) has changed our minds about red dots. It's a game changer...." It's just marketing, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Like a new born baby it just happens every day.

Changed their minds about what? They are offering optic ready pistols already.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Ken has his flaws, just like everyone else I know, myself included. But he's a man of good character, much to be admired for his accomplishments.

If I ever had to go into a dark place, Ken is high on my list of those I'd want with me.
    I think the two statements can be exclusive of one another.

I’ll give you an example. There was a cardiovascular surgeon who was an honorable man and a pioneer in his field. He earned and deserved much respect.

But at about the same age as Ken, I would not pick him to operate on me if I needed it. Not to be ageist, but because the visible decrement of ability was apparent.

Same goes for any sport or technical skill.

I think the two statements can be exclusive of one another.

I’ll give you an example. There was a cardiovascular surgeon who was an honorable man and a pioneer in his field. He earned and deserved much respect.

But at about the same age as Ken, I would not pick him to operate on me if I needed it. Not to be ageist, but because the visible decrement of ability was apparent.

Same goes for any sport or technical skill.
    In fairness, you may be applying your standards of USPSA technical shooting to a person who could care less about USPSA technical shooting. There is also the inference that Ken’s skills have degraded, presumably because of age — and I don’t understand what is your basis for that belief.

At this point, it feels like this thread has run its course.

In fairness, you may be applying your standards of USPSA technical shooting to a person who could care less about USPSA technical shooting. There is also the inference that Ken’s skills have degraded, presumably because of age — and I don’t understand what is your basis for that belief.

I think that’s fair.

I tried to assess his ability based off just the drills he was demonstrating in his videos rather than off any gaming specific things, but you’re right that my standards are probably skewed.

I don’t think a good coach needs to possess active skills above a B class level to be an effective instructor and coach.

My estimation for the belief that his shooting has decreased due to age-related vision changes are that I have a difficult time believing that someone in the million-round shooting club wouldn’t have better peak skills than he demonstrates currently.

If I look at someone like Chuck Pressburg who is not a gamer, who can demonstrate the no fail on demand and has special forces background… that’s an impressive level of skill to me. Of note Pressburg uses a red dot.

There are a few lines of discussion here that have gotten kind of mixed and jumbled together.

The overall context is that I think Ken is a better mechanical shooter who is vision limited at this point but I’m not convinced has actually committed to improving with dots but I don’t know for sure.

I’m a little scared to see what videos come next from “The Gun Guys” though.

I’m a little scared to see what videos come next from “The Gun Guys” though.
    Don’t worry, unless “JCN” is in the title of their video, at which point I hope there are some other initials you are fond of.

It is not just this forum, there is a red dot revolution going on.
    It's not often we get the opportunity to buy the illusion of skill.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List