Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not observing that, but maybe I am missing those posts.

Not that it matters, but my personal view is that most shooters would do better using iron sights on their defensive handguns. For motivated and dedicated shooters, I believe the red dot offers many advantages over iron sights.

I am respectful of whatever decision they make on their sighting system. Where the rub comes, is when someone else tells me what decision is right for me. Do you feel others are trying to tell you what YOU should be doing, or is there just so much red dot love on PF you are getting sick of hearing about it? Between dots, 1301 shotguns, Rattlers, Lipsey's J frames and .32, we can be a funny group.
    I agree with everything you said. I love pistol forum and this is not the community of shooters I am referring to, that was my mistake to not be more specific. you see it a lot more in the bro-vet crowd and the cadre that gravitates toward that type of youtube content.

sorry for any errors, typing one handed

I think at your core, you self identify as only one.
    For me it's context dependent. In my areas of expertise, my self-image is expert/instructor. But, I work hard to embrace a student self-image elsewhere. For those of us with big egos, that's not always easy. I like to learn, so that helps. Some activities (e.g. martial arts) require switching between student and instructor roles on a regular basis.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    the Sonoran Desert and 6200' in the Tonto N.F.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    1) I have no problem if you (not you BT, the Royal you) try a red dot, and decide it's not for you.

2) I have a problem with people who try a red dot, and decide it's not for me. THOSE are the people I have a problem with.

* and as mentioned up thread, observing these discussions over in the Gen Pop forums, the boomer population seems to be over represented in category 2: I bin shootin' fer years. Ya'll don't need them chinee-commie gadgets, soon as break if you look at 'em. I mean hell all you'll do at close range is point shootin's anyway.

** PS I'm a boomer.
    Good points here.

And yes, I am a boomer

And yes, I am a student - have been around this forum for years, read it almost every day, but seldom post since I am looking to learn and not to educate

I do think the boomer issue is valid, and me being a boomer and a mechanical engineer I am alway looking at the classic risk assessment matrix as well - what is the likelyhood of RDS issues/failures and what is the severity of RDS issues/failures. The battery life is not a concern anymore as the technology has proven battery life and I have a schedule for battery replacement in my RDS. Shatter/fog up the RDS lens, well that is a different issue much higher on the matrix, although I have not read of a lot of cases on the forum where this has been a catastrophic issue so I will continue to monitor for these kind of events. And yeah, as a boomer the whole Chinese thing makes me pucker, but I also realize that there are also other options out there.

I have a 507K on one of my guns and working to incorporate it into my carry - it has not been until I read recent threads talking about target focus for the red dot vs front sight focus for irons, and the 12oclock/6oclock techniques that I am starting to feel better about the RDS as I work these concepts into my range sessions.

As a boomer I think 30' is my comfort range with irons right now, and I know I could expand that with a RDS. But following the common sense of so many here on the forum the best fight is the one you avoid. So I continue my development with the red dot - too early to tell if I will adopt or not, but using the information of the folks here to give it the best opportunity for success.

An observation. People tend to search out, self validate, confirmation bias, backing for their decisions.

Currently don't have a dot on my carry gun. Had too many personal experiences where they failed. Things I've been told are one in a million, never an issues, internet lore, what have you. The scale has not been tipped in favor.

Steel Challenge rimfire = dot,
    2-Gun = prism or LPVO, and irons.
    Carry = irons

Watched solid, match winning shooters, lose because they had some type of dot failure. That is my reality and observations, and also confirmation bias.

I don't go around and trash dots and try to convince others not to use them. My experience, isn't always someone else's wisdom.

I've also got about 1/4 million rounds of iron experience, and recognize that dots are the future, as well as the present. Do you, get better, however that is accomplished.
    Taking a break from social media.

The student/instructor thing is very interesting. When people post on PF, and elsewhere, are they wearing the shoes of instructor or student?
    I would like to think of myself as an "experienced student". I am an instructor(teacher), but strive to keep learning. Sometimes I post to report on a drill/eval, other times it's because I believe I can contribute. I've been working a bit on support hand and freestyle distance shooting the last week or two during lunch. It's been enlightening.
    I can say I sincerely appreciate the depth and breadth of experience here at PF.

Site Supporter
    Did somebody say "Fudd". That reminds me of a story. I was sitting next to Byron in a bar in Auburn, Ala. I was drinking draft beer and bought him a martini. He was depressed and said, "You know, nobody loves an old queer." Byron had danced on Broadway before the war where he made three jumps with the 82nd. He came home with one leg.

Being an old queer then might be like being an old Fudd today. Get that label and lose credibility. The guys at my lgs think that only Fudds buy revolvers. They associate reloading with Fudds. And so on.

Yes, Hack has upset many and disturbed their world view.

If I were mischievous, I'd pay a troll to call @Trooper224 a Fudd. Hell I might do it anyway.😁

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Did somebody say "Fudd". That reminds me of a story. I was sitting next to Byron in a bar in Auburn, Ala. I was drinking draft beer and bought him a martini. He was depressed and said, "You know, nobody loves an old queer." Byron had danced on Broadway before the war where he made three jumps with the 82nd. He came home with one leg.

Being an old queer then might be like being an old Fudd today. Get that label and lose credibility. The guys at my lgs think that only Fudds buy revolvers. They associate reloading with Fudds. And so on.

Yes, Hack has upset many and disturbed their world view.

If I were mischievous, I'd pay a troll to call @Trooper224 a Fudd. Hell I might do it anyway.😁
    Just do it with a reach around and a smile. 😉

I can think of nothing better than to spend an afternoon with Ken talking firearms history. As for his opinion on RDS, he's welcome to it. Like us all, he makes his choices and takes his chances.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It’s a common thread with all good instructors – their knowledge is always evolving.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    good example of this is kyle defoor
    Another good example was Pat Rogers.

I’d put Tom Givens in that category as well.

You can be intellectually honest about something even if you decide it’s not for you.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-02-2024 at 04:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    I once heard the phrase “you’re either green and growing or ripe and rotting”.

I think it’s important to be confident and project strong confidence in certain situations. But I think those situations are not as frequent as often is forced. You can’t ask questions if you know everything. You can’t be helped if you don’t need anyone. I think it’s a whole paradigm some guys get stuck in that honestly just means they lose out on experiences, relationships, or learning because they can’t.

I’d recommend maintaining humility and objectivity where possible.

I was listening to a podcast with the humble marksman and I believe Tim Herron where he talks about aiming with the rear sight being sufficient with close shots, etc. I thought about it and that’s a sentiment I hadn’t heard anywhere else.

I dunno - perhaps we could shift some of this into aiming with the entire window at close ranges. But then are you for focused or target focused. It’s interesting to ponder.

ETA: I just thought of it. Some guys endorse aiming with the entire frame/shape of the gun and for super close shots at speed that may be sufficient, but that kind of stuff is highly subjective to how close the target is and the context (is it a USPSA match or is it defensive situation, etc.).
    God Bless,

Brandon

Reloaders are FUDDS?!?!? Even if I compete in those cops and robbers gun games? Does the ability to set up matches in Practiscore kinda negate the FUDD factor?
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List