Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Maybe someone finally convinced them to stay in their lane.
    I would guess they got tired of being roasted. I have a feeling it was this thread + Reddit + YouTube comments that may have served as an impetus for it.

One way I think they could salvage this situation and improve on it is to simply acknowledge and embrace the issues. For one, with a number of their reps being 70-something, age-related issues shouldn't be ignored, they should be embraced. Of course, there has to be a willingness by the contributors to recognize their role and relevance might now be different than it was 20yrs ago. Rather than advice being given on what seems to be a somewhat one-size-fits-all basis that's 20yrs behind the curve, maybe they should be more nuanced. For example, combined videos with some of their older contributors as well as some younger ones. If recommending a TTP, piece of gear, etc, instead of making blanket recommendations, offering a range depending on age, physical restraints, capabilities, etc. If I'm 75, have a few ailments that limit my carry ability and performance potential, what are my options? If I'm 25, just getting started, and I need something aspirational to push myself, what are those options as well? This isn't rocket surgery.

I can roast with the best of them but, trying to be constructive here. WC clearly has the capability and most of the components to do this well. Video production quality is high. They make some great products. They've also had younger guests, some of which are highly accomplished competitive shooters. All the nuts and bolts are there, in my opinion. They simply need to combine them in a more effective and nuanced way while increasing the variety of their contributors. Just my opinion.

It looks like they simply switched many of those videos to "unlisted" status. If you have the links, they still seem to be there.

Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I would guess they got tired of being roasted. I have a feeling it was this thread + Reddit + YouTube comments that may have served as an impetus for it.

One way I think they could salvage this situation and improve on it is to simply acknowledge and embrace the issues. For one, with a number of their reps being 70-something, age-related issues shouldn't be ignored, they should be embraced. Of course, there has to be a willingness by the contributors to recognize their role and relevance might now be different than it was 20yrs ago. Rather than advice being given on what seems to be a somewhat one-size-fits-all basis that's 20yrs behind the curve, maybe they should be more nuanced. For example, combined videos with some of their older contributors as well as some younger ones. If recommending a TTP, piece of gear, etc, instead of making blanket recommendations, offering a range depending on age, physical restraints, capabilities, etc. If I'm 75, have a few ailments that limit my carry ability and performance potential, what are my options? If I'm 25, just getting started, and I need something aspirational to push myself, what are those options as well? This isn't rocket surgery.

I can roast with the best of them but, trying to be constructive here. WC clearly has the capability and most of the components to do this well. Video production quality is high. They make some great products. They've also had younger guests, some of which are highly accomplished competitive shooters. All the nuts and bolts are there, in my opinion. They simply need to combine them in a more effective and nuanced way while increasing the variety of their contributors. Just my opinion.

It looks like they simply switched many of those videos to "unlisted" status. If you have the links, they still seem to be there.

I have much respect for both of them and their contributions. But, it's obvious they're no longer abreast of current developments and techniques. Enough to where they're really showing their ass to the community. Ken is a wealth of knowledge on firearms evolution and history. Bill is the same when it comes to the evolution of the 1911. They could do nothing but produce videos that play to these strengths and make it a success. I'm sure there are younger people at Wilson who are more tuned into the current zeitgeist than either one of them. We all reach a point where we need to acknowledge that we no longer have a finger on the communities pulse, and hand it off to the youngsters.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have much respect for both of them and their contributions. But, it's obvious they're no longer abreast of current developments and techniques. Enough to where they're really showing their ass to the community. Ken is a wealth of knowledge on firearms evolution and history. Bill is the same when it comes to the evolution of the 1911. They could do nothing but produce videos that play to these strengths and make it a success. I'm sure there are younger people at Wilson who are more tuned into the current zeitgeist than either one of them. We all reach a point where we need to acknowledge that we no longer have a finger on the communities pulse, and hand it off to the youngsters.
    While you may be right, my dark horse theory is that Bill and Ken have actually learned quite a bit from the youngsters: they learned that outrage = clicks, and clicks = a whole lot of eyeballs on a video whose entire background (and often the foreground) is a Wilson Combat product placement buffet.

I could listen them talk about history all day long though.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Humor at my own expense and gallows humor is my second language.
    Yep. Marine through and through. 👍
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    While you may be right, my dark horse theory is that Bill and Ken have actually learned quite a bit from the youngsters: they learned that outrage = clicks, and clicks = a whole lot of eyeballs on a video whose entire background (and often the foreground) is a Wilson Combat product placement buffet.

I could listen them talk about history all day long though.
    Me too! And the average guy I just helped install and zero an EPS is lost using his dotted Glock. It’s ok. He keeps a Redhawk .44 magnum for home defense. That’s Ken’s context.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Either/or thinking is rarely correct. I find that 20-somethings have no concept of how we have arrived at this point in history, or how we arrived at this point in firearms history. It's as though humans existed, then a miracle occurred and it was suddenly 2024. They need a link to the world before that, just as older people need to understand current technology. We learn from each other, but for the most part, shooting is about the same old stuff (get the muzzle where it will put metal into meat), not current developments.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    They probably got more views from these videos than from Bill's excellent explanation about mag spring relationship to bullet weight/slide velocity and pistol function. So yeah, they've learned a thing or two about how to monetize YouTube.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Either/or thinking is rarely correct. I find that 20-somethings have no concept of how we have arrived at this point in history, or how we arrived at this point in firearms history. It's as though humans existed, then a miracle occurred and it was suddenly 2024. They need a link to the world before that, just as older people need to understand current technology. We learn from each other, but for the most part, shooting is about the same old stuff (get the muzzle where it will put metal into meat), not current developments.

They probably got more views from these videos than from Bill's excellent explanation about mag spring relationship to bullet weight/slide velocity and pistol function. So yeah, they've learned a thing or two about how to monetize YouTube.

You’re right that the current status did not appear out of thin air and we must remember the history that got us to our current place, but we must also keep continual ongoing evolution in sight. Just as the pioneers of modern shooting techniques (starting around Weaver and continuing through the gentlemen at hand) made significant strides in “putting metal into meat” so does evolution continue beyond them. These videos do no favors to both for securing their rightfully earned legacy as professors emeritus. Instead of embracing their historical role in progressing the community and industry, this comes across as if they believe things cannot/should not continue evolving beyond them.

While I agree with the YouTube monetization angle, I question the end goal of these videos. If maximizing youtube revenue is the goal, they’re on the right track. If the goal is marketing Wilson Combat products/services, I think they’re doing more harm than good as they’re alienating a significant portion of potential customers.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I suspect the vast majority of Wilson Combat customers enjoy the videos, and self identify with the persona Ken projects. I view the videos as entertainment, and sometimes I find different points of view more refreshing than group think, even if my take on things may be different.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    While I agree with the YouTube monetization angle, I question the end goal of these videos. If maximizing youtube revenue is the goal, they’re on the right track. If the goal is marketing Wilson Combat products/services, I think they’re doing more harm than good as they’re alienating a significant portion of potential customers.
    I agree, only that I think neither of them would be doing it for money, because I am sure they both have plenty. BW with his obvious success, and Ken has started to sell off his guns, soooo...
    And that the target market for Wilson stuff probably consists of people that are at a point in life where they have disposable income but maybe not enough lifespan left that they are interested in learning new tricks, like RDOs.
    Whatever the motivation, it must not have been having the desired effect if they pulled them down or otherwise limited the visibility of them.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Humor at my own expense and gallows humor is my second language.
    You’re singing the song of my people…😁

Name:  IMG_0116.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  80.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List