Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathon's Crystal Ball Predictions

Back to red dots, JHC and I were just having a discussion on his way home from the range. As to iron sights vs a dot, I feel there are three phases or zones.

Phase one is when you are committed to iron sights, and see a red dot as inferior.

Phase two is when you are in between -- shooting a red dot and irons, but still trying to sort out which is better. I was in this phase for three or four years. Someone in this phase might go to the range wearing a pistol with iron sights and, based on their session, go home wearing a dot (or vice versa).

Phase three is when you are fully a dot shooter.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It’s a common thread with all good instructors – their knowledge is always evolving.
    good example of this is kyle defoor

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The student/instructor thing is very interesting. When people post on PF, and elsewhere, are they wearing the shoes of instructor or student?
    Student- if I give my opinion on a principle or technique or gear, I want to see what more experienced people have to say about it.

A lot of PF is developing conversations about new techniques, practice and training methodologies, etc and new equipment. In isolation, a single post might be teaching, but in a broader context, a thread is mostly made up of people being students in the sense they are open to change.

Except for the nostalgic revolver picture threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Student- if I give my opinion on a principle or technique or gear, I want to see what more experienced people have to say about it.

A lot of PF is developing conversations about new techniques, practice and training methodologies, etc and new equipment. In isolation, a single post might be teaching, but in a broader context, a thread is mostly made up of people being students in the sense they are open to change.

Except for the nostalgic revolver picture threads.
    You probably know the joke about how you can tell if there is a pilot in a room of eight people, with the answer being, he will tell you for sure. When someone tells you in every other post they are an instructor, that is a clue.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Phase three is when you are fully a dot shooter.
    And I am not sure I wanna make it to Phase Three, because of cost and batteries. It is bad enough when tritium fades...

TurboBoomers gonna' turboboom.

Not much use in getting worked up about it, or trying to get all deep with whatever they said to try and rationalize their turboboomin'.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    So as an interesting aside for a completely different gun topic, this very issue was my argument against below eye-line, FAS style point shooting with all those weirdos in the 2000s, who insisted that there was zero visual referencing of the gun in what they were doing, particularly the 1/4 and 1/2 hip positions. I always wanted to do an experiment with those guys where they wore something like a doggy chew cone around their neck that completely obscured their vision from the chin down, shoot those same positions and see if the results changed.

Even Bill Jordan allegedly glanced down at his revolver for a split second according to some old timers.

Super interesting to see this manifest in a completely different training topic.
    So we’ve been having the exact same argument in the archery community between guys who shoot bows without sights. The “Instinctive shooters” claim they never see the arrow or bow. The other side is guys who use any one of a few different methods to reliably reference the arrow, bow, or both in relation to the target. Not surprisingly the guys who have an aiming system consistently out score the “instinctive archers” in 3D and target archery competitions.

I started archery as an “instinctive” shooter as a teen and when I got back into archery a few years ago I sucked badly, did some research, switched to an aiming system and was shooting the equivalent (in percentage of points vs the best guys in the country) of what would be a master class shooter in USPSA within a year.

Eta:Me and other folks have also argued for years now that if we blocked off their view of the arrow/bow they wouldn’t be able to hit anything.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 02-02-2024 at 01:13 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

The student/instructor thing is very interesting. When people post on PF, and elsewhere, are they wearing the shoes of instructor or student?
    Speaking only for myself, I'd describe myself as a participant or a collaborator. I'm old enough to realize that no one's interested in what I have to say, yet also old enough to not subscribe to the cult of personality.

I think it's interesting that the red dot comments are the sole fixation regarding this video. As for the topic of the RDS, I'm enough of a tyro to recognize the future but also realize I don't yet know enough about it to have an opinion.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    At my lgs, new shooters, casual shooters, and people who never shoot buy gadgets to hang on their pistols. Some cops buy cheap shit which makes me think there's no dept oversight. The folks cited here make up part of that universe that Hack refers to. Certainly a few do reach mastery and maintain it.

I was texting with a friend from pf this morning and something occurred to me. There seems to be more push back with some shooters not because they think red dots are bad but maybe just not for them, right now. when rds shooters hear this the reaction seems to be to treat those people as fudds or like they are now somehow unarmed/not prepared because they are using irons. Others have said it before but group think is a hell of a thing.

before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand rds is the future, yada yada

User Tag List