Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W CSX

Site Supporter
    These could work.

http://tractiongrips.com/catalog/i420.html

Edited to add video:

Site Supporter
    Just looking at it, I’m not too worried about the lack texture on the aluminum. I feel like my support hand would mainly index on the extended “side wings” of the backstrap—which kinda seem palm-swell-ish. Then of course you’ve got texture on the front and backstrap. So… seems like you’ve got traction where you need it?

But then again… I haven’t held the thing. And everyone’s hands are different.

Handled one yesterday. Ergo's seemed nice, safety was positive, although I would wish for a wider ledge, like my Staccato.
    Trigger was heavy, I guessed around 6-6.5#'s, although I'm sure it will getter better after some use.
    All in all, I liked it.
    I think the tag price was $549.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Handled one today. I can't say it does much for me. The grip with full backstrap was decent enough and although the safety was positive on and off it was not the best positioning and overly stiff while new at least. The trigger was heavy and a bit gritty. That trigger face safety is all but useless as it is almost the same width as the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    That trigger face safety is all but useless as it is almost the same width as the trigger.
    My guess would be it’s a drop safety and not intended to do anything about NDs. The hinged M&P trigger safety is similar in that regard, and there are other striker triggers that would be the same. So is the trigger safety on the Hudson 9, which this is reminiscent of (though the H9 was straight back instead of pivot).

Looks like lots of aftermarket opportunities for the grip....CT etc.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I got to fingerbang one of these this week at a PSA store in Columbia. I was really in the "going to get" category until I handled it.

The safety on the version I handled was small, soft, and not positive. As a dedicated 1911 guy, I could definitely imagine "missing" that safety under stress, especially with gloves.

The trigger was OK enough - I don't want a 2# trigger on a tiny carry gun. And, it's not a 1911, so I think there's only so much you can accomplish with the hinged trigger. I'd put it on par with some of the old HiPower clones I've shot in the past - short, but not crisp.

The grip felt OK, but again, nothing to write home about. The grip was JUST too short for my not immense hands with the 10-round magazine, and the salesman didn't have the 12 rounder handy to compare. I'm in violent agreement with the reviewer who said S&W missed the mark with the length of the grip with the flush-fit 10-round mag.

Sights were similarly only OK - but aftermarket will almost certainly take care of that

At this point, I'm firmly in the wait awhile camp. If this gun gets any traction, I'm sure there will be a 2.0 - maybe with a 507K footprint direct mount? And, S&W is going to have to do something about that stupid "floating sleeve" on the 12 round magazines - I can't imagine running one of those on my hip in a mag pouch, grabbing it, and finding the sleeve flopping in the wind.

On a TOTALLY unimportant note, it's also butt fugly. There's nothing about the appearance of the pistol in person that makes my heart flutter. I'm used to that (I have a lot of Glocks, after all), but in something that's being discussed like a subcompact hi cap 1911, it's a let down. If only S&W made a 1911, and knew what one looked like, and how the safety worked...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Looks like the Star PD, resurrected in plastic.

I love the 1911, and, if this was truly a 1911 subcompact with a polymer frame, I'd be on it like white on rice. But this? I'll let someone else buy it, shoot it, and sell it to me cheap.
    Maybe more like a resurrected Star Firestar Plus. Same here; if I see a used one cheap in a couple years I may have to check it out.

Has anybody come up with a reason to get this gun over one of the P365 variants, other than "SAO is for cool guys?"
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List