Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger swap for M&P 9 Shield?

Trigger swap for M&P 9 Shield?

I was looking at an Apex upgrade kit but a friend mentioned that a Smith-Wesson "Factory Trigger" for about $25 is available and that it's better than what came with the gun. The latter is more digestible than Apex at $150-plus. He's away on a trip and I've had no success finding it online. This is a basic Shield not a 2.0. Any thoughts?

I believe the triggers for the 1.0 and 2.0/Plus are compatible, and the general consensus is that the factory 2.0/Plus trigger isn't all that bad.
    I've got the Apex in my 1.0, but am planning on leaving my Plus stock.

For $25, I'd probably give it a go.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I think the big question might be if you are desiring the flat trigger? Not sure those are as common.
    Do we know the sear blocks are compatible between 1.0/2.0?
    We had some Shield Plus Discussion here, and @crosseyedshooter seems to have the knowledge.

It’s been years since I sold my Shield 1.0. From memory, the 1.0 has a different sear than the 2.0. It’s a higher pull weight and more abrupt wall (“crisp break”). The 2.0 changed the sear and lowered the trigger break weight as well as introducing a more rolling break. The Shield Plus has essentially the same break characteristics as the 2.0 with the added flat trigger.

Depending on preference in a trigger, I think they’re all different answers to the trigger pull question and you can also mix a match (Apex sear w/hinges trigger, 1.0 sear with flat trigger, etc.)

Shield 1.0 - heavy crisp break, hinged trigger
    Shield 2.0 - medium rolling break, hinged trigger; most people say this much improved from 1.0
    Shield Plus - medium rolling break, flat trigger with dingus; similar to 2.0 but longer trigger reach
    Apex kit - light crisp break, flat or semi-curved trigger (aluminum or polymer) with dingus, ultimate striker block; kit includes everything you can also get piece meal for a bit more $.

I’m guessing your friend meant the Shield Plus “flat” trigger which won’t change the 1.0’s “heavy crisp break”. It’s similar to Apex’s polymer semi-curved trigger and will increase trigger reach slightly and move the break point slightly forward.

I haven’t mentioned the typical gritty trigger pre-travel. That’s mostly due to the striker safety plunger and if you want to smooth that out, either polish it or find a Performance Center version from the factory or the Apex one will do. Keep in mind the Apex ultimate striker block also includes a lighter spring that *may* reduce drop safety for a carry gun.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 10-19-2023 at 09:38 AM.

I sent a message to S&W a couple of days ago inquiring about getting the new trigger for the M&P9 2.0 (not Shield) that came with the older type of hinged trigger. No response yet!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino on INGO View Post
    I sent a message to S&W a couple of days ago inquiring about getting the new trigger for the M&P9 2.0 (not Shield) that came with the older type of hinged trigger. No response yet!
    I called them up myself and was told the Plus will work in my 1.0 but they don't sell triggers separately and that putting in an Apex or other aftermarket voids the warranty. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I called them up myself and was told the Plus will work in my 1.0 but they don't sell triggers separately and that putting in an Apex or other aftermarket voids the warranty. Ugh.
    Easist souurce is getting one from the fleabay dude from dude from Colorado. This combined with a stipple job and an extended safety from @UNK (assuming it has a manual safety) nakes a big difference in usability IMO
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

putting in an Apex or other aftermarket voids the warranty. Ugh.
    This has always been the case. But realistically unless something is flawed out of the box any expectation of needing a warranty is low probability, IMO.

But, if all a person wants is a new trigger and you are less willing to leave factory support, the math probably works in favor of trading pistols. Also putting much cash and effort into a Shield is something I would rethink, especially when the Shield Plus has all of the 2.0 features you might be seeking.

This might vary depending on state, here in Ohio selling a second hand pistol is pretty simple.

Ugh, indeed!

If the Apex voids the warranty and they won't sell the trigger separately . . . the choices are:

1. Live with the stock trigger (the one I have sucks).
    2. Buy a new gun with the better trigger to replace the brand new gun with the crappy trigger.
    3. Go with the Apex and live with no warranty on a new gun.
    4. Cut losses and sell the new gun, mags, and base pads, then use the money to get a Canik or something similar or maybe ammo.

I'm leaning toward #4.

How would they know? If you send it in for warranty work you put the stock parts back in.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List