Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First competition gun. What do I get ?

First competition gun. What do I get ?

Just entering In the world of competition shooting. Currently using a xdm .40. I've only shot two matches,and I believe the .40 might be a bit much. I like and shoot ok with it. But I noticed most everyone uses a 9mm. I will probably put a trigger kit in the .40 just to see. But, is the glock hype real? I will say the sig p320 x5 legion really caught my eye,but seems like might be over kill for a rookie shooter like my self.

So, what suggestions should I look at. Will all stock pistols need a light weight trigger at some point? These are idpa type matches and looking for speed and accuracy combo.

Can't go wrong with a CZ SP01. Only draw back is youd need to send it out to get a RDS cut. Or just get a glock I suppose.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    What is your goal and what is your budget?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnframe View Post
    I will say the sig p320 x5 legion really caught my eye,but seems like might be over kill for a rookie shooter like my self.
    Get one of those. It’s versatile and won’t be wasted on you nor hold you back. It’ll grow with you as you improve.

They’re very popular for a reason and you don’t have to have any sort of competence to show up with that gun and be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What is your goal and what is your budget?
    Goal is to work on being competitive. I dont be expect to become some national champion,but I want to work hard on trying to work on becoming competitive when I go to a match .

I'd say budget is open. With that being said I'm not going to drop 3k on a pistol,as that will be spent on a scar.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Get one of those. It’s versatile and won’t be wasted on you nor hold you back. It’ll grow with you as you improve.

They’re very popular for a reason and you don’t have to have any sort of competence to show up with that gun and be accepted.
    You have one?

If you have the budget get what’s the most popular. Not because you’ll be a “cool kid” but because you won’t ever wonder if the gun is holding you back. It takes a special kind of person to run a stock Glock or whatever they own and run it for awhile. Maybe you can do that but there’s a reason why the most popular guns are the most popular.

Are you shooting with irons or an optic.

My journey started with a beretta 92 and now I have a p320 legion. I like it so much I bought a backup and am pretty committed to it at this point. It’s an incredible platform and the most popular in USPSA CO. There’s a large aftermarket support.

The FCU and the ability to swap frames is like legos.

Name:  5652D37F-7E27-4069-B3F7-4E736C9FEDB9.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  50.9 KB

Depending upon your timeframe and your club, you may have the opportunity to try a couple of your fellow competitor's guns out, and determine what you like.

As has been said, popular guns are popular for a reason. Also, if you get and shoot a popular gun, and after a while, you want something different, the popular gun will be easier to sell.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Before you buy anything decide what events you want to compete in (IDPA , USPSA , steel challenge, or some "outlaw" matches) . It doesn't make sense to buy a competition specific firearm without becoming familiar with the rules first, it can save you $ and headaches...

Once you decide on what sports you want to compete in and ina what division you want to compete, then a discussion on total budget (ancillary gear, ammo both practice and match, and match fees) is appropriate, then you are ready to pick firearms without getting the horse before the cart.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    Before you buy anything decide what events you want to compete in (IDPA , USPSA , steel challenge, or some "outlaw" matches) . It doesn't make sense to buy a competition specific firearm without becoming familiar with the rules first, it can save you $ and headaches...

Once you decide on what sports you want to compete in and ina what division you want to compete, then a discussion on total budget (ancillary gear, ammo both practice and match, and match fees) is appropriate, then you are ready to pick firearms without getting the horse before the cart.
    Most likely will be idpa matches. As they the closest to me and have indoor matches. As Most our summer time is spent traveling all over to race tracks as my 10yr old son road races motorcycles.

User Tag List