Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First competition gun. What do I get ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    Before you buy anything decide what events you want to compete in (IDPA , USPSA , steel challenge, or some "outlaw" matches) . It doesn't make sense to buy a competition specific firearm without becoming familiar with the rules first, it can save you $ and headaches...

Once you decide on what sports you want to compete in and ina what division you want to compete, then a discussion on total budget (ancillary gear, ammo both practice and match, and match fees) is appropriate, then you are ready to pick firearms without getting the horse before the cart.
    ^^^^^^ this. You mentioned you are interested in IDPA. Next step is to decide which division.. CCP, SSP, ESP, CDP, or Revolver. For CCP, SSP, and ESP 9mm is the best bet. CDP requires a 45. Striker fired guns can be used in any of the semiauto divisions depending on size. 1911s can be used in CCP, ESP, and CDP (again depending on size).

Best bet is to shoot your XDM in a few matches and look around at the different divisions and decide which division strikes your fancy. Talk to the better shooters about what is the best gamer gun for your chosen division.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Below are my gun choices for the following divisions:

CCP - Langdon Glock 19 Gen 5 with TTI carry magwell, Stacatto C2 with trimmed safeties to fit in box or 4" Infinity 2011.

SSP - Langdon Glock 34, Langdon 92, or CZ (be careful with weight requirements)

ESP - the guns listed above for SSP or any quality reliable 9mm 1911/2011 with magwell. The 2011 do have an advantage with the mag tapered on reloads.

CDP - Quality 1911/2011 with magwell (although it is a blast to beat the custom 1911 with a $500 Strike fired or Da/Sa gun. I preferred the M&P 45). 2011 do have the advantage on reloads with tapered mags.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Well,I went ahead and picked up the X5 Legion. Really like trigger it comes with and felt great in my hand. Looking forward to shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnframe View Post
    Just entering In the world of competition shooting. Currently using a xdm .40. I've only shot two matches,and I believe the .40 might be a bit much. I like and shoot ok with it. But I noticed most everyone uses a 9mm. I will probably put a trigger kit in the .40 just to see. But, is the glock hype real? I will say the sig p320 x5 legion really caught my eye,but seems like might be over kill for a rookie shooter like my self.

So, what suggestions should I look at. Will all stock pistols need a light weight trigger at some point? These are idpa type matches and looking for speed and accuracy combo.
    I will say this. The good thing about Glocks is that they are relatively cheap, and have proven to be competitive by many users who have reached high levels with them. They are the easiest gun to take down and clean thoroughly that I know of (can anyone mention an easier gun?). If you want to become competitive, then that means you'll have to train, which means you'll have to do a lot of shooting along with dry fire. That means cleaning and servicing often. Severely underrated aspect of a firearm is the ease of maintenance, but keeping them clean, well oiled, and changing parts as need be is part of ownership. A stock Glock can be had for 500 to 600 bucks, and throw in a Timney trigger for another 150 and you have a competition grade gun for 650 to 750 bucks that is easy to get magazines and spare parts for. I'd be lying to you if I said I use a glock, I moved on to Berettas, but you're saying you don't want to spend more than 3k so I suggest you stick with Glock because it all adds up when you consider holsters, mag holders, belts, red dots, optic cuts, etc.

Well,I went ahead and picked up the X5 Legion. Really like trigger it comes with and felt great in my hand. Looking forward to shooting it.
    Oh I didnt see this. You did alright there. Good luck with competition.

Did you get an optic?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Did you get an optic?
    Not yet. Gonna shoot ssp for alittle bit. While I decide which optic to go to. I believe only certain ones fit on the gun correct?

Great choice with the Legion.

Not yet. Gonna shoot ssp for alittle bit. While I decide which optic to go to. I believe only certain ones fit on the gun correct?
    If you pull your rear sight you can see which of the 1,532 hole patterns they used. If it’s like mine which was hatched in early 2021, RMR, SRO and Romeo1 Pro all direct mount. I put a R1P on mine, it was the easy button for a range gun. I still need to determine a replacement front sight height.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Pick the brain of everyone you see at a match w/ an optic. I don't have one but talk w/ people about them often. Besides reliability I get comments that A has a larger glass area than B. The frame around the glass is thinner on C than D. I really like E but you have to take it off the gun to put in a new battery. F has auto light level but it is always a bit too dark for me so I have to adjust it manually. It's nice to find out things from real users that are not apparent when looking at specs etc.

User Tag List