Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to defend yourself against a striker fired weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You can get him to make you a personalized video on Cameo …

https://www.cameo.com/detroit_dust

He’s under “D.U.S.T. Commander Brown”
    Commander Brown (D.U.S.T.) = Master Ken (Ameri-Do-Te). Separated at birth. Vest. 'Stache. Truth.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've worked a metric shit ton of robberies and don't recall a single instance of someone pinning the victim to a wall via gun in the chest. This dude is fucktarded.
    Well if you’re going to get all serious about it:
    https://youtu.be/l2bkgbGFtmg

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Well if you’re going to get all serious about it:
    https://youtu.be/l2bkgbGFtmg
    Disclaimer: No I haven't disarmed an real assailant nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I've seen that video before and watching it again brought up the same thought as before. Perhaps Craig & John should have mentioned the likelihood of a loud noise occurring. Going in knowing what likely will happen is better prepared. When I've worked disarms with Airsoft & Sims it was common for launch switch to activate.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Disclaimer: No I haven't disarmed an real assailant nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I've seen that video before and watching it again brought up the same thought as before. Perhaps Craig & John should have mentioned the likelihood of a loud noise occurring. Going in knowing what likely will happen is better prepared. When I've worked disarms with Airsoft & Sims it was common for launch switch to activate.
    My recollection from ECQC is that at least in the class, Craig is pretty clear about this technique being both difficult and dangerous even if done right, and basically presents it as "if you absolutely have to do a disarm, this is the best way we know of to make it work." In other parts of the class, especially evolution reviews, I remember him specifically making the point that sometimes you're screwed and need to just comply and hope for the best. My takeaway was that the disarm is a last ditch option for if you're pretty sure the trigger is getting pulled at some point, or maybe if there's someone else you absolutely have to help and getting away from the guy holding you at gunpoint is a requirement.

Obviously I stand to be corrected by someone with better memory or one of the members here who actually teach the material.

And yeah, this D.U.S.K. stuff is so completely awful it gives Voda a run for his money.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    My recollection from ECQC is that at least in the class, Craig is pretty clear about this technique being both difficult and dangerous even if done right, and basically presents it as "if you absolutely have to do a disarm, this is the best way we know of to make it work." In other parts of the class, especially evolution reviews, I remember him specifically making the point that sometimes you're screwed and need to just comply and hope for the best. My takeaway was that the disarm is a last ditch option for if you're pretty sure the trigger is getting pulled at some point, or maybe if there's someone else you absolutely have to help and getting away from the guy holding you at gunpoint is a requirement.

Obviously I stand to be corrected by someone with better memory or one of the members here who actually teach the material.

And yeah, this D.U.S.K. stuff is so completely awful it gives Voda a run for his money.
    Roger that. A video can't cover every aspect and nuance. I just felt compelled to comment about the possibility that there may be a bang. Prepare for it!

And that bang could occur with the muzzle still on you.

Yes! The video made me think of the jackwagon you mentioned, Voda.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    My recollection from ECQC is that at least in the class, Craig is pretty clear about this technique being both difficult and dangerous even if done right, and basically presents it as "if you absolutely have to do a disarm, this is the best way we know of to make it work."
    That’s pretty much my memory too. Being a musician, I asked Craig about what looked to me like almost certain hearing loss. His response, roughly, “Oh, you’re going to lose some hearing, most likely. That’s just part of a bad situation…”. No equivocation on that idea at all.

Better partially deaf in one ear than all the way dead, if that’s the hand that’s been dealt. Craig would know, having been there and done that himself.

His disarms are awesome; probably only outstripped (see what I did there?) by his weapon retention techniques. There’s weapon retention technique BC (before Craig) and weapon retention technique AD (after his demo). It’s literally red pill/blue pill level stuff, IMHO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I'll just add that while I have gotten half decent at a lot of what Craig teaches, after whatever it's been, half a dozen courses or more...I still find the disarm very difficult to get right. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just really hard to do that.

And I have had more training on that than...man, any normal person is ever going to get.

Taking a gun away from someone who is prepared to fight to hang on to it is really, really difficult. They're built to be hung on to, and one end murders you.

AND, although I am not going to detail the whole back story here, I have taken a gun off someone who was in the process of threatening me with it, and while it worked out, it was one of the moments in my life where I can replay about 5 seconds in slow motion, over and over, and probably still get my heart rate up around 175 just by thinking about it for a while.

It was before I had ever done an ECQC, and I think I was successful mainly because I had a lot of size on the guy, but he still didn't seem to expect any resistance, so I was basically able to drag him to the ground and get both my hands on the gun and a leg between us. Zero technique, 100% brute force. He also ate a really hard right, right at the beginning when I made the grab, and was working through probably reduced consciousness, and it still was really hard to get that thing out of his hand.

Anyway not intended to be a criticism of Craig's technique; it's probably as good as it gets. I'm just saying that it's hard for me and I have legitimate reasons to think that if it's hard for me, it's pretty freaking hard, in general.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I'll just add that while I have gotten half decent at a lot of what Craig teaches, after whatever it's been, half a dozen courses or more...I still find the disarm very difficult to get right. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just really hard to do that.

And I have had more training on that than...man, any normal person is ever going to get.

Taking a gun away from someone who is prepared to fight to hang on to it is really, really difficult. They're built to be hung on to, and one end murders you.

AND, although I am not going to detail the whole back story here, I have taken a gun off someone who was in the process of threatening me with it, and while it worked out, it was one of the moments in my life where I can replay about 5 seconds in slow motion, over and over, and probably still get my heart rate up around 175 just by thinking about it for a while.

It was before I had ever done an ECQC, and I think I was successful mainly because I had a lot of size on the guy, but he still didn't seem to expect any resistance, so I was basically able to drag him to the ground and get both my hands on the gun and a leg between us. Zero technique, 100% brute force. He also ate a really hard right, right at the beginning when I made the grab, and was working through probably reduced consciousness, and it still was really hard to get that thing out of his hand.

Anyway not intended to be a criticism of Craig's technique; it's probably as good as it gets. I'm just saying that it's hard for me and I have legitimate reasons to think that if it's hard for me, it's pretty freaking hard, in general.
    Overwhelming strength, seizing initiative, head trauma and 3 limbs vs 1 or 2...

Sounds like the right technique to me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

https://youtube.com/shorts/dY3nTLEeHgM?feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    He's beyond Tacticool... He's Tactitard...
    What an Idiot.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List