Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I’ve been on a shotgun binge, TAC-14 edition

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I was looking at that one last night. No issues w it?
    Working well, with two range outings thus far. Function is smooth with the spring & follower that came with the Wilson +1 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Working well, with two range outings thus far. Function is smooth with the spring & follower that came with the Wilson +1 kit.
    Ordered one.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    When I set up my tac-14 recently, I was disappointed to find that the Wilson +1 I already had in my shotgun parts box didn't fit the new mag tube threads -- they've changed the threads.
    Hmmm...
    That would be a seriously bad move with regard to interchangeability across various 870 eras.

WRT the Wilson/Scattergun followers, I have seen some that were getting along in years and had started to distort a bit; maybe the material degrades over time or various oils/cleaners attack them. I consider it something worth checking now and then- it's cheap insurance.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 12-31-2021 at 08:03 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Hmmm...
    That would be a seriously bad move with regard to interchangeability across various 870 eras.

WRT the Wilson/Scattergun followers, I have seen some that were getting along in years and had started to distort a bit; maybe the material degrades over time or various oils/cleaners attack them. I consider it something worth checking now and then- it's cheap insurance.
    We used them for many years at work; I don't recall any of them distorting, but the little nipple in the center eventually breaks off, and isn't needed anyway. I have several of them knocking around my shotgun kit, along with some Remington springs and followers.

When I set up my tac-14 recently, I was disappointed to find that the Wilson +1 I already had in my shotgun parts box didn't fit the new mag tube threads -- they've changed the threads.

I ended up using this one, with a Wilson spring and follower -- works fine.

https://www.briley.com/p-62048-remin...auge-only.aspx
    Hmmm...

I am 99.9% sure I put a Wilson on my Tac14 with no problems. I’d have to see if I kept the packaging. If the threading was changed I’m sure the internet would be awash in conspiracy or pro-Shockwave threads.

Pun only slightly intended…

After learning that the Remington Model 11 was equipped with a steel magazine follower, I replaced my plastic followers with steel followers, originally Model 11 parts and later the Vang Comp part sold by Brownells at https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod22732.aspx .

The three reported negatives with metal followers are 1) can corrode, 2) can stick on two-piece magazine tubes or extensions, and 3) can batter the receiver when the last round is fired. My experience is 1) maintenance and/or a good coating solve this, 2) not experienced this yet but none of my guns have dimples in the magazine tube, and 3) I would need to fire a lot of rounds to batter the receiver. I have coated the followers with orange Rust-Oleum left over from spraying my metal targets or NP3 with no issues. I need to try Cerakote on the next build, but the Rust-Oleum has been the easy button for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I am 99.9% sure I put a Wilson on my Tac14 with no problems. I’d have to see if I kept the packaging. If the threading was changed I’m sure the internet would be awash in conspiracy or pro-Shockwave threads.

Guys, I must apologize for the Russian Disinformation I just put out! When I got the tac-14 several months ago, that Wilson/SGT +1 absolutely would not thread onto the tube... I went to Wilson's site and misinterpreted this line with a hasty reading:

"Follower is not grooved to fit newer 870 magazine tubes. The detent in the magazine tube may be filed down for follower fitting."

I focused on 'not grooved to fit newer magazine tubes' (OF COURSE the detent has to be swaged), went in search of an extension marketed for the tac-14, bought the Briley, and it worked -- thus, I figured the threads had changed with the 'newer' mag tubes.

Well, I just revisited the issue, and now the bloody Wilson threads on without a fuss. I'm baffled. I swear I wasn't drinking when I tried it before!

Anyway...comparing the two just now, the Briley does actually work better for two reasons: the knurling on the end (rather than on the coupling) makes it easier to grab and tighten, and it allows for just a bit more spring compression, making the 5th round load more smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post

For what it’s worth… zero issues with the Wilson +1 I installed on mine. Just needed to deal with the detents, which the XS swage was quick/easy.

Once I get my suppressors out of ATF jail, I’ll probably Form 1 my TAC-14.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The three reported negatives with metal followers are 1) can corrode, 2) can stick on two-piece magazine tubes or extensions, and 3) can batter the receiver when the last round is fired. My experience is 1) maintenance and/or a good coating solve this, 2) not experienced this yet but none of my guns have dimples in the magazine tube, and 3) I would need to fire a lot of rounds to batter the receiver. I have coated the followers with orange Rust-Oleum left over from spraying my metal targets or NP3 with no issues. I need to try Cerakote on the next build, but the Rust-Oleum has been the easy button for this.
    A shotgun that had rusted away in an outbuilding gave me another lesson - as if I needed one - in corrosion being a dandy binding agent. The steel magazine follower in the mag tube had to be persuaded rather smartly to budge. I remember as a kid seeing sheet-steel "cup" followers that low/no maintenance owners would allow to get a bit crusty... then things would get a little slow.* Heaven forbid anyone ever maintain the inside of the magazine tube, the follower and the spring! For some reason, I seem to remember the receivers battering the follower rather than the other way around, but I may be mistaken on that point.

Anyway, while cultivating OCD on my 870 project(s), I amassed quite a collection of magazine extensions and followers, and found that the vast majority of them would work, but not all of those would necessarily stand a whole lot of guff. In time, I just standardized on the Scattergun (Wilson) follower. At some point in time, I probably had over a half dozen of the green things laying loose around the place, and at least two of them developed a slight "bend" of the tail (another one started to sort of crumble/disintegrate, but to be fair, I exposed that one to a pretty nasty cleaning agent from work). One mod I did make on them may have been unnecessary but was cheap insurance: I slightly radiused the sharp rear edge of the larger-diameter portion to make sure it did not hang up on any annular joint caused by a given magazine extension.

Eventually, I got S&J Hardware orange type 1 delrin followers for all the 870s and was quite happy with their performance/durability; I believe the type 1 could get hammered through the side of my house and still work.

For no reasons other than:

1. I pick up the color better
    2. it could be a bit more easily distinguished from a shell by feel,

the only remaining 870 here wound up with an S&J Hardware safety green type 2 delrin follower, with which I am now perfectly content.

*"A Brillo pad will fix that right up," said the proud owner.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

A shotgun that had rusted away in an outbuilding gave me another lesson - as if I needed one - in corrosion being a dandy binding agent.
    I just got the same lesson with a Lodge cast iron charcoal camp grill used very sporadically in the last fifteen years. Left it in the outbuilding only to discover before the move that I have some orange rust on a portion of the cooking surface. So far I have just stopped the damage by using CLP as we are still in the pack/unpack part of our move. It looks like I will need something a bit more aggressive to resurface the grill.

User Tag List