Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plate Racks

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    With a rack, the targets will be up higher where I want them. I have some individual targets now, set on t-posts. I'm shooting in
    front of a barbed wire fence and want my targets up above the fence line. I'm not training for competition, just occasional
    practice with friends. I have a .22 rack on the way also.
    Auto reset plate rack here:

https://innovativetargets.net/produc...set-plate-rack

You could use taller T-posts too. They go up to 10' or so.

Having to reset my own plate racks after every run for practice would drive me nuts.

This is what auto reset can look like if you start the video at 1:19

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Auto reset plate rack here:

https://innovativetargets.net/produc...set-plate-rack

You could use taller T-posts too. They go up to 10' or so.

Having to reset my own plate racks after every run for practice would drive me nuts.

This is what auto reset can look like if you start the video at 1:19

I have some nice stands for paper targets, but the wind up here on the hill keeps knocking
    them down.
    The plate racks I'm looking at have a rope to reset the targets, but the auto reset
    looks interesting.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    I have some nice stands for paper targets, but the wind up here on the hill keeps knocking
    them down.
    The plate racks I'm looking at have a rope to reset the targets, but the auto reset
    looks interesting.
    So I have a home range that looks like this:

And I just had some berms put in that look like this:

Name:  A5786D1C-F5E9-4A84-B032-DFCD46B06D89.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  100.0 KB

If it’s for just yourself, you really want to make it as versatile and EASY as possible IMO.

Plate racks are so limited in what you can do with them that I don’t find them worthwhile for the cost.

There’s a company that makes individual knock down auto reset plates too. I can try and remember who that was.

Even for my practice poppers, I just want them to wobble and ring but I don’t want to have to reset them haha.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    So I have a home range that looks like this:

And I just had some berms put in that look like this:

Name:  A5786D1C-F5E9-4A84-B032-DFCD46B06D89.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  100.0 KB

If it’s for just yourself, you really want to make it as versatile and EASY as possible IMO.

Plate racks are so limited in what you can do with them that I don’t find them worthwhile for the cost.

There’s a company that makes individual knock down auto reset plates too. I can try and remember who that was.

Even for my practice poppers, I just want them to wobble and ring but I don’t want to have to reset them haha.
    Pretty jealous right now. Most of our land is in hay, so I can’t put in a cool playground like yours. Half the time
    I have to chase away the horse and goats to shoot. One in the ground and they run to the barn!
    We just had 7 deer up at the back fence grazing away. I let our mutt out and you should have seen them run.
    When I walk down to the neighbors field the deer just stare at me until I get close. Really should start hunting,
    but I like my dry aged steaks too much.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

I've got two of these that I love to use for various things. For the price they are probably the best thing. I've used them to support several classes as well. If you don't suck then your 2x4's will last for quite a while as well...

https://mgmtargets.com/product/steel...ge-plate-rack/
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

If you have the ability to fab or pay for fabrication-Magnum Target in Bauxite,AR has "tabbed" 8" plates that are great for building plate racks.

They also have the cheapest price I could find for AR 500 2/3 USPSA targets and T post hangers. I have 3 of the 2/3 USPSA targets and 2 plate racks worth of plates from them and am very happy
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC;[URL="tel:1302659"
    1302659[/URL]]If you have the ability to fab or pay for fabrication-Magnum Target in Bauxite,AR has "tabbed" 8" plates that are great for building plate racks.

They also have the cheapest price I could find for AR 500 2/3 USPSA targets and T post hangers. I have 3 of the 2/3 USPSA targets and 2 plate racks worth of plates from them and am very happy
    Thanks for this. Bauxite is a little more than 2 hours away.

Charles de Gaulle

My club is local to MGM, so suffice to say the majority of our steel is MGM. We have four of their regular plate racks and also spec’d them with the rifle shield to the protect the base. The membership really likes them and they get a lot of use from .22 to shotgun. Fortunately we’ve only had a few instances of somebody dumping a rifle round into them but the club prez is a machinist and has the means to repair them and the club also ponies up the $$ each year to buy replacement plates and hinges for when they break from all the use. If I was into casting, I could probably collect a year’s worth of lead from all the splatter that each plate rack has on it.

However I rarely shoot them outside of a match. For practice I much prefer static plates or something that auto-resets. A few mags into on a plate rack, having to stop and reset each time after 6 shots (if I’m on), gets a little boring after a while. But with a couple static plates, such as 8” hex or a A/C zone, and a couple-three target stands, I can set up some fun (and productive) live-fire drills.

It would be awesome to have my own private range out my back door.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    My club is local to MGM, so suffice to say the majority of our steel is MGM. We have four of their regular plate racks and also spec’d them with the rifle shield to the protect the base. The membership really likes them and they get a lot of use from .22 to shotgun. Fortunately we’ve only had a few instances of somebody dumping a rifle round into them but the club prez is a machinist and has the means to repair them and the club also ponies up the $$ each year to buy replacement plates and hinges for when they break from all the use. If I was into casting, I could probably collect a year’s worth of lead from all the splatter that each plate rack has on it.

However I rarely shoot them outside of a match. For practice I much prefer static plates or something that auto-resets. A few mags into on a plate rack, having to stop and reset each time after 6 shots (if I’m on), gets a little boring after a while. But with a couple static plates, such as 8” hex or a A/C zone, and a couple-three target stands, I can set up some fun (and productive) live-fire drills.

It would be awesome to have my own private range out my back door.
    The staked mini poppers are A-zone sized and if access to a berm or someplace where you can mount them chest level they’re great.

Name:  B6C9DF3C-3D25-4696-86C2-0BE0F3D40D0D.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  94.0 KB

They’re also light and portable. I think they’re $40 or so each.

I have two MGM targets: A simple auto-popper that is spring loaded so it resets, and a Steel Challenge stand & hanger with a 10” and 6” plate. Everything is AR500 and .223 friendly provided I don’t shoot them too close.

https://mgmtargets.com/product/auto-...ch-hex-target/

https://mgmtargets.com/product-categ...eel-challenge/

User Tag List