Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plate Racks

Plate Racks

I plan to purchase my own plate rack in 2022. I want to buy once, cry once, but have no idea
    which rack to choose. The rack would be used for 9mm with some other pistol calibers on occasion.
    I’d like to hear which racks to choose, and especially which to avoid.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

For a plate rack, I like MGM for a "buy once, cry once" option. If you don't want to spend that much money, I've bought the Action Target plate racks for work and they seem to be at the sweet spot for price/quality.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    https://shootsteel.com/speed-rack/

I've got this, and it's been fine with 9mm and frangible 5.56. Don't really have much to add...it's just a bunch of steel plates.

I have three of the shoot Steel racks made from conduit and am very happy.
    They say not to make them this tall, but it works great.
    Does it need to be portable? This stuff packs down into the truck and we set up three of them every Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If it is not getting moved around and you can afford it, the MGM. Got three at our club and they stand the test of time as long as nobody attacks one with a rifle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    If it is not getting moved around and you can afford it, the MGM. Got three at our club and they stand the test of time as long as nobody attacks one with a rifle.
    That is the key. The range I attend has some nice racks but it never fails someone will show up and shoot them with a rifle.

I bought the sportsman’s plate rack from MGM for my agency several years ago. It gets used at most quarterly by 20 +/- officers and it’s held up well. The higher grade MGM rack is around twice the price but probably worth it for a gun club or an agency that would use it more heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    I plan to purchase my own plate rack in 2022. I want to buy once, cry once, but have no idea
    which rack to choose. The rack would be used for 9mm with some other pistol calibers on occasion.
    I’d like to hear which racks to choose, and especially which to avoid.
    Question for you: it sounds like it's for your own personal use and not for a club or a competition.

Is there any reason you want a plate rack in particular? It makes sense if you're training for a plate rack competition, but for general marksmanship and practice with transitions I prefer:

Self-resetting targets: more time shooting, less time resetting.
    Individual targets: I can change the spacing and distances to vary the marksmanship challenge.

Depending on what your range surface is, I like the budget mini-staked poppers for $50 with a hinge and spring. The absolute cheapest way is to buy ebay 8" rounds and put them on gardening shepherd crooks. I have video and pictures of what that looks like if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Question for you: it sounds like it's for your own personal use and not for a club or a competition.

Is there any reason you want a plate rack in particular? It makes sense if you're training for a plate rack competition, but for general marksmanship and practice with transitions I prefer:

Self-resetting targets: more time shooting, less time resetting.
    Individual targets: I can change the spacing and distances to vary the marksmanship challenge.

Depending on what your range surface is, I like the budget mini-staked poppers for $50 with a hinge and spring. The absolute cheapest way is to buy ebay 8" rounds and put them on gardening shepherd crooks. I have video and pictures of what that looks like if you're interested.
    With a rack, the targets will be up higher where I want them. I have some individual targets now, set on t-posts. I'm shooting in
    front of a barbed wire fence and want my targets up above the fence line. I'm not training for competition, just occasional
    practice with friends. I have a .22 rack on the way also.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    This is a home range, so no one shoots without my permission. MGM is buy once, cry a few times!!
    Although they aren't that much more than Action Targets.
    I have a 10% coupon, and I'm leaning towards MGM.

Charles de Gaulle

User Tag List