Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA revolver for self-defense. Liability concern?

As I recall there was a guy down in Texas who shot his revolver. A double action .357, using it single action and hit a gunman who was shooting at a police officer. I want to say he was around 50 yards way. The gunman had killed someone somewhere. The citizen saw things unfolding and shot the bad guy in single action mode.

10 year ago or more. 15 maybe? I vaguely remember reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Hey I'm simply having a conversation. Doesn't necessarily mean I have to parrot or agree with everything you say or do.

Or do you need reassurance? In that case good job, I agree! Best thought ever!! Bravo!

Someone says I disable the SA feature. Someone else says you can just not use the SA feature. The first someone looses his shit over it!

But anyway good job!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Where's the someone who lost his shit? Tag his user name for me so I can find him.
    Thanks.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    As I recall there was a guy down in Texas who shot his revolver. A double action .357, using it single action and hit a gunman who was shooting at a police officer. I want to say he was around 50 yards way. The gunman had killed someone somewhere. The citizen saw things unfolding and shot the bad guy in single action mode.

I think I saw a video of that. He had an AR in his living room, but stepped outside to see what was going on with just his revolver, and took care of business with it.

It's been several years ago now - but we discussed it here on P-F; where a DA, unsuccessfully, attempted to argue the opposite of the light trigger. That the gun in question had an (IIRC) 8-pound trigger and the defendant had fired 15-rounds. The DA argued the defendant had committed murder, because it took 120-pounds of force for the defendant to shoot all the rounds in his gun.

It wasn't successful as an argument, but the point for me was: A prosecutor can and, often, will try to find anything to support their narrative. If you carry a firearm for self defense, have the contact information for a good self defense attorney on your person. Consider insurance to cover the cost of a legal defense.

Worry more about avoiding the situation and being able to articulate your use of lethal force than trigger pull weight. Make sure the gun(s) you carry are safe, accurate, and well maintained. Be prepared to hire expert witnesses for your defense.

I was in court earlier this year for a murder trial in which the prosecutor argued that a seven pound trigger pull eliminated the possibility of a negligent discharge. We all know it doesn't; I'm simply reported what the prosecutor argued. The point is that something doesn't have to be factually correct for a trial lawyer to argue it in court.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Hey I'm simply having a conversation. Doesn't necessarily mean I have to parrot or agree with everything you say or do.

Or do you need reassurance? In that case good job, I agree! Best thought ever!! Bravo!

Someone says I disable the SA feature. Someone else says you can just not use the SA feature. The first someone looses his shit over it!

But anyway good job!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    You're being a dick for no reason. Add to the conversation or move along.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Vic Stacy, 2012. In Chris Bird's account in Surviving a Mass Killer Rampage, it is said that Stacy cocked his revolver and made hits at 57 yards. Bird does not say whether Stacy had an AR in his home, but he does say Governor Perry gave him an AR10 afterwards.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I frequently carry a DA/SA revolver that still has its hammer spur. I solve this by not cocking the fucking hammer like an asshole and shooting the gun DA as god intended.

How is this thread four pages long?

Ahh thanks for the finding the incident. I guess my fuzzy memory was pretty close (actually undersold the guy 7 yards). I never knew about the after incident part of the governor giving the gentleman a rifle. That is extremely cool.

There is also something extremely satisfying about when a shooter meets his demise at the hands of a citizen like this. The shooter thinks he Billy Bad Ass, shooting police/citizens, whomever, and then runs into a "Good Old Boy" who may not know who what instagram is or who is on TV most the time, but has been shooting their whole life, and popping squirrels out of trees, hogs, coyotes, deer ect. They see the shooting happening and say "NOPE!" and the rest is history.

I know I have mentioned this before but when I was brand new to LE, I was working in a tiny town, though big farming community with a huge migrant farm worker population/labor camp. Tons of multi-generational farmers that I got to know. Long story short, I got a call to deal with a bum that was constantly at one building. I had parked my car but had left the door open for whatever reason (stupid rookie move) and walked around the back of the building.

One of the farmers drove by on his way to get a sandwich at the local gas station sandwich shop. He saw my car/door. On his way back 5-10 minutes later he saw the car in the same condition. He stopped, grabbed his (literally) sawed off 12 gauge that he kept in his truck and came to check on me. I look up to see the farmer come around the corner checking on me, making sure I was OK. Gotta love that.

The farmer was the very definition of a good old boy. Never paid much attention to the laws. Never caused any trouble, just farmed and did his own thing. He was truly a great guy. Around the holidays, knowing I made crap for pay, he would drop of boxes of stuff like hams (or whatever the butchered) and home made foods on my porch.

Of course these same guys on the fourth of July, when drunk as hell would shoot sugar beets at my patrol car from a sugar beet gun (a sugar beet gun is like a potato gun, but on steroids)! Your typical sugar beet weighs between 1 or two pounds so they can do some serious damage to a car. One year they knocked the mayors wife from her bike. Fortunately they hit the bike instead of her, as it might have killed her. Their wives were FURIOUS with them as the wives are all friends.

Good times with good old boys!

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I frequently carry a DA/SA revolver that still has its hammer spur. I solve this by not cocking the fucking hammer like an asshole and shooting the gun DA as god intended.

How is this thread four pages long?
    #1. Because we are talking about revolvers, which are cool.

#2. Because it is a forum and we get side tracked with sidebar conversations, as forums naturally do and Squirrel!

User Tag List