Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: DA/SA revolver for self-defense. Liability concern?

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    all I could get out of his post is I'm an asshole for shooting my 57-5 in single action on occasion.
    That is not at all what I'm talking about. What I'm very specifically talking about is how exhausted I am of people referencing the TTPs from 50 years ago as a relevant way to do things in the modern age. We are so much better at performance based shooting now than we were back then.

Plus, GIGN didn't even dirt nap that many people will wheelguns. You know who did? LAPD and LASD, and all their guns were double action. I'd actually bet that during the 70s and 80s, LAPD and LASD killed more people with wheelguns than GIGN killed with wheelguns in its entire existence.

That's all, I'm just sick and tired of people being like "but but muh GIGN." I personally don't give a shit how people want to shoot their privately owned guns, but if we're talking about performance based shooting, don't try to advocate for single action and then bring up how one unit did things a half century ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    That is not at all what I'm talking about. What I'm very specifically talking about is how exhausted I am of people referencing the TTPs from 50 years ago as a relevant way to do things in the modern age. We are so much better at performance based shooting now than we were back then.

Plus, GIGN didn't even dirt nap that many people will wheelguns. You know who did? LAPD and LASD, and all their guns were double action. I'd actually bet that during the 70s and 80s, LAPD and LASD killed more people with wheelguns than GIGN killed with wheelguns in its entire existence.

That's all, I'm just sick and tired of people being like "but but muh GIGN." I personally don't give a shit how people want to shoot their privately owned guns, but if we're talking about performance based shooting, don't try to advocate for single action and then bring up how one unit did things a half century ago.
    Here’s my question, does GIGN still do things the way they did 50 years ago ? I don’t know for sure but it’s a pretty safe bet they don’t. Yes they have still retained revolvers but if you put them in a corner even they would probably admit it is more of a branding, elan / esprit de corps thing.

One doesn’t necessarily need to wait half a century either. In the late 90s some of the tactical training unit staff from my agency went to train tactics with an elite military unit. They then brought this back as inviolate gospel. Fast forward to the mid to late 2000s We are getting feedback From both people who’ve been overseas and people pressure testing these tactics with force on force that they suck. I happened to be in an outside shooting class with a member of that same elite military unit And asked about the issues we were having with the 1990s tactics. The response was essentially we figured out early in the GEOT those tactics sucked and dumped them 5 years ago. As in, “We don’t do any of that anymore.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Here’s my question, does GIGN still do things the way they did 50 years ago ? I don’t know for sure but it’s a pretty safe bet they don’t. Yes they have still retained revolvers
    No, they definitely don't. In fact, revolvers for GIGN occupy the same place that swords do for infantry officers. It's like a badge of office, not a serious duty weapon. They carry (surprise surprise) Glocks.

Which is my point, and I think you're picking up what I'm putting down with the "why do we care what they did a gajillion years ago"

Well, to cause a disturbance in The Force, I will admit that have been doing a bit of dry thumb-cocking, with a GP100, recently. It is not because GIGN, or even because the first three letters of my French-ish* surname are “Gig.” It is because the joints in the fingers on my left hand are suddenly starting to show their age, while my left thumb remains healthy. The day may come, when my long-stroke DA trigger-pulling capability will be diminished. Thumb-cocking a DA revolver is relatively clumsy, compared to the same task with a classic, SAA-pattern single-action revolver, so, it seems necessary to preserve the skill to cock a GP100 hammer, while this old dog is still able to learn new tricks.

Notably, one reason I bought my well-preserved, (not “collector” grade) post-WW2 five-screw pre-Model 10 snub-gun, is because those old-pattern S&W hammers have more-cock-able spurs than the newer and current K-Frame revolvers, such as my pair of Model 64 snubbies. I was already foreseeing, a few years ago, the time when I might want a 2” K-Frame, with a more-cock-able hammer.

Of course, I will continue to train long-stroke DA, as the most-important revolver trigger skill, as long as it remains practicable.

*Arguably, Lorraine is not French, but its own cultural entity. Not so long ago, it was independent. My surname does not actually follow the normal rules of French pronunciation, so may well be transliterated.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, to cause a disturbance in The Force, I will admit that have been doing a bit of dry thumb-cocking, with a GP100, recently. It is not because GIGN, or even because the first three letters of my French-ish* surname are “Gig.” It is because the joints in the fingers on my left hand are suddenly starting to show their age, while my left thumb remains healthy. The day may come, when my long-stroke DA trigger-pulling capability will be diminished. Thumb-cocking a DA revolver is relatively clumsy, compared to the same task with a classic, SAA-pattern single-action revolver, so, it seems necessary to preserve the skill to cock a GP100 hammer, while this old dog is still able to learn new tricks.

Notably, one reason I bought my well-preserved, (not “collector” grade) post-WW2 five-screw pre-Model 10 snub-gun, is because those old-pattern S&W hammers have more-cock-able spurs than the newer and current K-Frame revolvers, such as my pair of Model 64 snubbies. I was already foreseeing, a few years ago, the time when I might want a 2” K-Frame, with a more-cock-able hammer.

Of course, I will continue to train long-stroke DA, as the most-important revolver trigger skill, as long as it remains practicable.

*Arguably, Lorraine is not French, but its own cultural entity. Not so long ago, it was independent. My surname does not actually follow the normal rules of French pronunciation, so may well be transliterated.
    Mention of Alsace-Lorraine always bring to mind Joubert from 3 days of the Condor.

Time for a Carryhawk?

https://ruger.com/products/newModelB...eets/0477.html

Powderpuff .45ACP loads would be mighty nice out of that gun. - Barranti makes a nice hip holster, for Ruger SAs too...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Time for a Carryhawk?

https://ruger.com/products/newModelB...eets/0477.html

Powderpuff .45ACP loads would be mighty nice out of that gun. - Barranti makes a nice hip holster, for Ruger SAs too...
    Well, I did not buy a Carry Hawk, when they were in the pipeline, but, how do you think I know that single-action revolvers have hammers that are easier to manipulate than the hammers we find on DA revolvers? I do better with the original-SAA-pattern grips, anyway, and U.S. Firearms made some VERY nice SAA copies, better than the actual Colt SAA.

Doc Barranti makes nice IWB/AIWB holsters, too.

https://barrantileather.com/shop/ols...summer-classic

And, if one wants to say, “To heck with assessment speed,” there is this software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy4D5n8LQ6U
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-06-2022 at 05:40 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

And, if one wants to say, “To heck with assessment speed,” there is this software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy4D5n8LQ6U
    That's pretty awesome.

I love watching CAS stuff and I often learn from it. I'd shoot it, if you didn't have to play dress up and it had real accuracy requirements.

As it is, I just can't see myself spending time and money playing a shooting game where pageantry is more important than accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    One can also add in 50-60 year+ vintage TTP's from Israel, the SAS, Shanghai, Spetsnaz, ad nauseaum. It's still the firearms version of the Weaboo who thinks his Chinesium katana is a lightsaber.

The honest truth is that when it comes to dirt napping bad guys with the application of bullets, the USA is still the place with the most real experience.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well, I did not buy a Carry Hawk, when they were in the pipeline, but, how do you think I know that single-action revolvers have hammers that are easier to manipulate than the hammers we find on DA revolvers? I do better with the original-SAA-pattern grips, anyway, and U.S. Firearms made some VERY nice SAA copies, better than the actual Colt SAA.
    Ronnie Wells is right in Houston. He enjoys helping people with specific medical-type requirements for their grips.

https://singleactions.proboards.com/...-wells?page=61

Might be an interesting field trip for you to swing by his shop and chat, maybe in combination with your next visit to Collector's.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List