Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Project for the HK P30 Admirers

Unfortunately, most of the links from the archives appear broken. I hope those can be restored, because there is a lot of gold in there.

I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak on getting my P30 machined for an RMR shortly after Mark announced his retirement.

The next best option was Ashbury Precision Ordnance. Their work isn't quite as refined as Mark's, but it seems to work fine, so far.

I also sent my HK 45 in at the same time. The 45 was a hard call for me, it's a very low 200 SN, one of the very first German made guns in the country. But I've owned it since new, and it wont be going anywhere, I figured why not.

The P30 is set up with a 4.1 LEM and a Gray Guns short reset kit. It's still one of my favorite 9mm pistols.

Ashbury's plate is attached to the slide by the two screws on one side only (due to the cavity on the other side inside the slide). The cut for the RMR is tight, rather than using locating pins, and the FPB block spring is now retained by the bottom of the RMR. Probably not a perfectly ideal setup, but it has held up so far to my limited use of the pistol during covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimslow View Post
    I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak on getting my P30 machined for an RMR shortly after Mark announced his retirement.

The next best option was Ashbury Precision Ordnance. Their work isn't quite as refined as Mark's, but it seems to work fine, so far.

I also sent my HK 45 in at the same time. The 45 was a hard call for me, it's a very low 200 SN, one of the very first German made guns in the country. But I've owned it since new, and it wont be going anywhere, I figured why not.

The P30 is set up with a 4.1 LEM and a Gray Guns short reset kit. It's still one of my favorite 9mm pistols.

Ashbury's plate is attached to the slide by the two screws on one side only (due to the cavity on the other side inside the slide). The cut for the RMR is tight, rather than using locating pins, and the FPB block spring is now retained by the bottom of the RMR. Probably not a perfectly ideal setup, but it has held up so far to my limited use of the pistol during covid.

I was procrastinating sending my P30/P30L out for whittling and sadly didn't get anything out before Mark announced his retirement...I've been looking at APO's setup but never could really find many details on how it differed. Thank you for the info. Given how H&K mills these slides...it's probably not the %100 perfect solution but it's a good %95 one, and there's diminishing returns at some point. Since I don't imagine I'll be Spetznaz upside down axe throwing while rappeling off a cliff using my optic as a rope cinching point, I think I'd be ok with how that setup works..

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The P30 is the pistol that I most closely associate with the early days of Pistol Forum. Back then, compared to a Glock, it was more accurate, more reliable and with a hammer, very appendix friendly. Flash forward to today, and a lot has changed.
    What has changed with respect to the P30? Is it just HK not updating it with optics, or have other options surpassed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Is it just HK not updating it with optics, or have other options surpassed it?
    HK has not updated a plastic mold to give the USPs a normal rail. 25 (?) years and going.

I still think they are the best polymer hammer guns in their size categories, if one gives their triggers a massage and sometimes even without that. They just don't have it, it most likely being production capacity, or maybe a will too, to stay in step with market changes.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    I referenced this in the original post but didn’t include a link. Here is the HKPRO thread from member TooSixy with the most detailed instructions for P30 maintenance. High quality contribution and great work from him. An essential guide, and available as PDFs through the link.

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/how-to...-p30ls.196694/

What has changed with respect to the P30? Is it just HK not updating it with optics, or have other options surpassed it?

At the heyday of the P30, the Glock 19, for example, didn't have a very usable stock trigger, was not particularly accurate, didn't have factory optics capability, and sprayed brass everywhere. Now a G5 19 trigger is usable out of the box, has excellent accuracy, throws brass into the next county, and has lots of optic support.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    At the heyday of the P30, the Glock 19, for example, didn't have a very usable stock trigger, was not particularly accurate, didn't have factory optics capability, and sprayed brass everywhere. Now a G5 19 trigger is usable out of the box, has excellent accuracy, throws brass into the next county, and has lots of optic support.
    Definitely - the G5’s and new models brought some solid improvements. Lots to enjoy. I am excited that LTT also has offerings in the area. I would like to try one of his 19s and see what he does with the trigger guard.

Since we may not see a “P4000” anytime in the future, the modded P30s can provide us with some old school cool. With that in mind - and the thread needs more pics - here’s another from the range a few days ago before it was below freezing.

Name:  4B7F2C5C-E8F7-4A9F-A6BF-BE98ECC77E04.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  103.4 KB

GJM is right, and the other thing is that the VP9 has completely supplanted the P30 as HK's favorite child. It's easier for volks to shoot and presumably cheaper to manufacture and easier to sell for a profit at a Glock/Sig/M&P competitive price point.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone here used Ashbury precision ordinance for an optics cut on an HK pistol ?

User Tag List