Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here purchased an FN 502?

Has anyone here purchased an FN 502?

I am wondering if anyone here has purchased an FN 502 (the new .22LR pistol). If so how much have you shot it and what are some of the things you like/don't like based on ownership?

Usually I put purchases like this on the side for a month or two. After that time if it still comes up then it will probably be something I will keep forever. Anyway this one is still on my radar so I might buy myself one for my birthday next month.

On my radar too, but none have surfaced at the LGS yet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I just picked up a black one this morning. Found it at Palmetto State Armory last week. First impression is much better then I expected. More to follow after I spend some time with it.

For those of you in Florida.

Shoot Straight seems to have just gotten a shipment of the black pistols.

I'm considering one but real range reports and not Youtube shill reviews are few and far between.

Name:  IMG_1189.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  95.7 KB

I wanted a red dot platform in .22 to cheaply practice with. The 502 is, of course optics ready and came with 3 extra mounts for the popular formats.

First warning, there are no extra magazines available yet that I have found. Pistol comes with a 10 rd and 15 round magazine.Name:  IMG_1187.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  92.7 KB
    The 15 round is a bit longer and makes my XL sized hands easily obtain a full grip. The 10 rd leaves me with a very little bit of pinky overhang but does not really affect much.

The safety is positive off and on and is well placed. It is too low profile to rest the thumb on it if you prefer to do so.

Reliability (approx 400 rds so far with the optic mounted) has been good with various brands and weights. Definitely prefers CCI Mini-Mags. Feeds various shapes well. Biggest reliability issue appears to be the build up of the gummy lubricant in the chamber some .22s are endowed with. Not perfect but the pistol may still be in a breaking in phase. I suspect a stronger recoil spring might be good assuming high velocity loads are used.

Overall, feels pretty much like a service pistol, not a cheap copy of one. I do wish it had the replaceable back straps of the 509 series.

Recommend.
    My apologies to weasels.

Good news, FN has extra magazines for sale on their website now.
    My apologies to weasels.

Is the FN 502 optics ready?

I received the FN 502 as Christmas present. I had a very good feeling that I would be getting this pistol for Christmas so I had a spare Holosun 507 ready to mount on same. After some initial mounting issues I was able to identify the correct screws to use and so far the optic is sill secured to the slide. The only issue I have seen is the gun shoots very inconsistent with the optic. I did not have any issues with the optic on a full size 9mm handgun so I don't think its the optic. Anyone have any issues like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly21 View Post
    I received the FN 502 as Christmas present. I had a very good feeling that I would be getting this pistol for Christmas so I had a spare Holosun 507 ready to mount on same. After some initial mounting issues I was able to identify the correct screws to use and so far the optic is sill secured to the slide. The only issue I have seen is the gun shoots very inconsistent with the optic. I did not have any issues with the optic on a full size 9mm handgun so I don't think its the optic. Anyone have any issues like this?
    Please describe what you mean by "inconsistent?"
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Please describe what you mean by "inconsistent?"
    Group moves and group grows with each test group of 5 rounds. Fired 5 shot groups from 3/5/7 yards and each group got slightly bigger( gun is not match grade) and each group shifted from POA to POI. May be the nut behind the rear sight but so far gun not as consistent as expected.

My 502/Holosun 407 is as consistent as I am.

Not great news: FN just wrote me that they don't really have any spare mags yet, in spite of what their e-commerce website told me.
    My apologies to weasels.

User Tag List