Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Bullet Feeder - The First 500

Mr. Bullet Feeder - The First 500

My process of getting here includes starting with a 550 about 37 years ago, then life got more cushy and I added a second 550, then I added a case feeder to one of them, then I switched one of them to be a 650, then I added a second 650. Since I have the second 650 I plan to just leave the first one dedicated to 9mm. I enjoy reloading but do not enjoy setup and change over, once something is working and the ammo has been vetted I just like to leave things unmolested for the next time. And I am focused enough on 9mm that I can dedicate the one machine, and use the second one for anything else I want to do on a progressive (though I still have the 550 pushed to the back of the bench).

I have also pretty well standardized on shooting 147g TC Blue Bullets, so I decided I would try the bullet feeder, and after the first batch last night I would say:

Name:  Brass.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  36.3 KB

I had a couple thousand rounds queued up to do, we tend to spend money like shit through a goose this time of year, so I decided no time like the present and just bought the thing. I ordered it from Dillon, perhaps because I wanted to buy the calendar, and I feel like a complete leg humper if I buy the calendar without ordering anything else.

It was in stock and came quickly and after I reviewed the calendar I unboxed the feeder and started figuring things out. As part of my research I had watched several of the Ultimate Reloader videos, this was very helpful in deciding if I wanted to get one, and also being more aware of what I was getting into on the setup. But it still took some screwing around to really figure out what is what on the adjustments on the feed bowl. It is fairly logical, but some of the adjustments just take some tweaking. I plugged it in and just touched the wire clips together so I could watch it run with a few bullets and tried different setups. Eventually I mounted it and continued to do the same thing, letting bullets slide down the spring into a cup so I could watch them flip and make adjustments. The angle of the bowl made a bigger difference than I thought. Also, the truncated cone bullets might be more of a challenge than round nose, there is a ramp that differentiates between the bottom diameter and the top diameter, and that seems to be a somewhat narrow window. Plus if it is running too fast it might not have enough time to drop down the way it needs too.

The only catch was that their supplied drop tube was sketchy, what I would say are plating problems, and would not drop into the powder die. I emailed over the weekend, and on Monday Josh at Alpha Dynamics in PA promptly responded that a new one was on the way and sent tracking info. Since he didn't ask for the sketchy one back I hit it with a scotchbrite wheel and got it to the point it would work. It is not right, and I will swap the new one when it gets here, I have to wash some more brass anyway so NBD.

However this does mean I had to abandon my method of flaring in a separate station. The Alpha Dynamics funnel seems to be better at releasing from the case, and of course there is no powder spilling problem with the bullet now on top of it. I will try the new one, but am still curious about the SSI option that was recommended to me in the other thread.

The drop tube pretty much just ran perfectly out of the box. They probably come set for optimal performance with 9mm.

So I stared loading with it, and so far I am pretty darn happy. It is faster, but more so stress free. The coated bullets get slippery, and the longer you load the more of the Smurf blue got on your fingers, making them even harder to handle, and no more of that. Your speed limit was how quickly you could orientate the bullet, now it is how quickly your brain can process and confirm the bullet is seated right side up. Of the first five hundred I loaded I probably had about seven bullets upside down. This is only a problem if you goof and run the cartridge up into the seating die (the bullet gets stuck). But there really is no excuse for doing that, I did it once and was probably just pushing my luck trying to go too fast. I was worried when a bullet was nose down if it would be a problem, but it is just sitting in the case and can be lifted right out. Also a second bullet following the upside down one tends to drop out. I have been trying to focus on confirming a charge in the case (very unlikely to be a problem loading fine spherical powder like Longshot) and then looking at the bullet in the same station as it come down.

Anyway, this thread is just me reporting in on my latest impulse purchase. I would highly recommend this thing, but caution people that if you are not the kinda mind to twiddle with things to make them working you might be cautious. There are a few adjustments (bowl angle, ramp, speed, shims) that you just have to fart around with until it works, there is no plug and play recipe, since many bullets are different. I was about to say that I would be reluctant to do this if I didn't have a dedicated press, but really you could leave the feeder bowl hanging there and swap out tool heads like before. IMO I would probably not bother adjusting the bowl for alternative bullets, though a person certainly could, but you could get it setup for your high-volume pistol bullets and just leave it hang there when you were loading something else without it (the spring/tube would be easy to disconnect).

Just one guy's experience who is still on the honeymoon.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-28-2021 at 09:58 AM.

New powder drop funnel showed up and it is perfect. Got it installed and all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    New powder drop funnel showed up and it is perfect. Got it installed and all is well.
    So the factory one was just a lemon?

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    So the factory one was just a lemon?
    Yes, the plating was visibly flawed, and it measured about 0.005 bigger on the one end. The new was vissually perfect and slid right in (I didn't bother to measure it).

Name:  Five Thou.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  33.4 KB

I've been using a bullet feeder on a 1050 for well over 100K rounds of 9mm. In the beginning I purchased one of the manual turret units (the "mini" model) but subsequently upgraded to the current model with most of what are considered the upgrades. I haven't changed anything in years but only a small incidence of inverted bullets (1/1000 perhaps) loading everything from 115gr RN through 147gr RN and including 124gr TCG without having to readjust. I do recall that having the collator at a 45 degree angle is fairly important. At one time the 115gr (coated) bullets would tend to stick in the feed tube since they are cocked at a pretty good angle, but this is no longer the case. Never had to replace a part. FWIW mine is mounted on a 1050/Mark VII setup.

Site Supporter
    Do you have a choice of where you mount the bullet feeder die (station 3 vs 4)? I think I would like to maintain separate seating and crimping and use the powder check, but I don’t know if that is an option.

No, pretty sure you don't have enough stations to have all those.

This is from dillions site and for the 750 -

"CONFIGURATION NOTE: the XL750 does not support the combination of our Dillon 3-die set, a low powder check and a Mr. Bullet Feeder."
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-7...8_1_26883.html

I use hornady dies with the seating/crimping combination die but have not had/used a powder check. I just cast my eyes on the case w/powder as it goes into bullet feeder station.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    only a small incidence of inverted bullets (1/1000 perhaps)
    Thanks for that, I will aspire to continue to fine tune it. I got it going pretty well and then was anxious to try it out, before I knew it I was out of clean brass!

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Do you have a choice of where you mount the bullet feeder die (station 3 vs 4)? I think I would like to maintain separate seating and crimping and use the powder check, but I don’t know if that is an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    No, pretty sure you don't have enough stations to have all those.
    I use hornady dies with the seating/crimping combination die but have not had/used a powder check. I just cast my eyes on the case w/powder as it goes into bullet feeder station.
    Yeah, when I went to 650 from 550 I thought about all the handy things I could do with that extra station, now I wish I had another station.
    I am using Lee dies, and bought their taper crimp die, and things have been running so well I am reluctant to change that. If you want to seat/crimp in one station you should be able to move the feeder over to station four.

In my case (I crack myself up...) I have been using the powder check for rifles but not pistols. I can see down into the pistol cases, and between the indexing, positive reset of the powder measure and the fine grain of the Longshot powder I am comfortable not using one.

So I had the same issue with the powder funnel. It didn't drop all the way. It was too large at the top.
    Name:  D5AE9CA3-CDB9-4F69-880F-69FD15C763CD.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  34.4 KB
    They told me to sand it, which I did and it works. That was going to be my solution to fix it but I didn't want to ruin the warranty. They said that they would still keep the warranty and that the plating is a known issue that just needs a little sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JCS; 01-21-2022 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    ]
    They told me to sand it, which I did and it works.
    Mine had some pretty significant plating flaws, more than just the lip and they didn't hesitate to replace it. The new one is perfect and is working great now, but I am still curious about the SSI option, but I tend to chase my tail on stuff like that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List