Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determination of Factory New Ammo

Determination of Factory New Ammo

Hello everyone, recently I've purchased a case lot of supposed Factory New Old Stock of 45 Win Mag ammo. A lot of it is Winchester Super X, the classic silver boxes, but I've noticed something awfully perplexing concerning the ammo. Firstly some boxes have cardboard ammo holders, whereas others have styrofoam inserts, the hard fine grained ones. The second difference is the primers, some have the brass colored primers whereas some have silver with a red ink around them. The third is the casings, some are smooth and some have a detailed belting line.

Immediately I'm under suspicion that some of these are reloads, although I'm wondering if it might be a difference in production batches. I'm not wanting to blow up my LAR Grizzly due to someone else's potential negligence .
    Thank you in advance for any knowledge and insight, I appreciate it.

It's quite a tall-order to try and figure out something like that.

Variances in the component supply chain can/might explain different primers, sealants, and case finish, but in the end, what you are asking is likely near impossible in terms of any degree of certainty.

Where'd you purchase it?
    Was this an online purchase? Or a face-to-face "private" sale with an unknown individual?

I s'pose you could tear down some random samples and compare the differences amongst components and powder, but even then, I doubt you'll get a definitive answer. After all, it's not as if you'll discover a little note in a suspect piece of ammunition that will say, "The high-quality components used to assemble this round have been exchanged for cheaper ones that'll blow up your prized firearm."

If it appears to be suspect, I would err on the side of caution and simply not use it.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 12-31-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    I don't have any ammo boxes handy, but isn't the lot number printed on the inside of the box end flap?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45Grizzly View Post
    Hello everyone, recently I've purchased a case lot of supposed Factory New Old Stock of 45 Win Mag ammo. A lot of it is Winchester Super X, the classic silver boxes, but I've noticed something awfully perplexing concerning the ammo. Firstly some boxes have cardboard ammo holders, whereas others have styrofoam inserts, the hard fine grained ones. The second difference is the primers, some have the brass colored primers whereas some have silver with a red ink around them. The third is the casings, some are smooth and some have a detailed belting line.

Immediately I'm under suspicion that some of these are reloads, although I'm wondering if it might be a difference in production batches. I'm not wanting to blow up my LAR Grizzly due to someone else's potential negligence .
    The packaging is just packaging, not ammo. I wouldn't sweat that.

Primers could vary due to dates of production. Not sure I'd sweat that, either.

Can you post a picture of the "detailed belting line"? This could be a couple of things.

The main thing I'd look for is even vertical striations (or possibly burnishing) all around the case. This happens during sizing and is a definite tell for reloads.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That seems odd to me, I could see one thing varying, but several?

Compare the lot numbers, at least you’ll know the boxes are from the same run, but whether the ammo is might remain a question.

Same lot would have same lot numbers..

Check for extractor marks, ejector marks, and vertical striations on the case indicating it had been run through a die.

Also keep in mind that factory primed brass is a thing, and just because the primers are factory sealed, they could still be handloads.

Also pics might be helpful.
    Taking a break from social media.

When we bought 9mm Winchester duty ammo, it usually came with red primer sealant. We switched to Speer 40 S&W ammo in 2006 so I haven’t bought any since then.

A quick Google Images search shows most factory Winchester 45 Win Mag ammo appearing similar to this

Name:  45winmagnew.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  62.5 KB

Earlier Super X ammo in the white box may have only cardboard packaging

Name:  45winmagold.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  38.4 KB

Further Googling shows various packaging and even gold colored primers in supposedly factory new Winchester ammo

Name:  45winmagmore.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  13.5 KB

Name:  45winmaggold.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  9.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45Grizzly View Post

Are there lot number on the exterior or interior of the boxes ?

If the lot numbers for the different styles are consistent it could all be factory ammo of different vintage.

Winchester has used brass colored primers in some loads including Ranger duty ammo. Re the "red ink" if it's in the crevice between the primer and the primer pocket in the case it's likely primer sealant which is also common on military / LE ammo and some premium hunting ammo.

User Tag List