Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appendix outside the waistband?

Appendix outside the waistband?

I know this topic has come up before but I’ll ask the question again. Are there any viable alternatives for appendix outside the waistband carry? Ideally for a j frame, Glock 26, or subcompact HK like a P2000sk.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Yes. I like the Kramer Crossdraw version of the Vertical Scabbard, made of horsehide. Actually, for the quite short weapons you posted, the Vertical Scabbard should work just fine; it is the larger weapons, such as 4” revolving pistols, that benefit most from that bit of muzzle-forward tilt. Horsehide is nicely quiet.

Kydex? JMCK OWB, of course, with the straight vertical angle.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A while back, @GJM suggested the Mitch Rosen Express "Upper Limit" for my G19.5. It is a high riding, straight draw leather OWB that I wore near the Appendix position.

It worked very well. A minus was that despite being high riding, it could show itself depending on how well my carry garment draped. Otherwise I quite liked it. When I switched to a P30SK LEM, I bought another one.

Name:  26f99e4494ba55e65c51095c2b1dae7e.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  45.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Yes. I like the Kramer Crossdraw version of the Vertical Scabbard, made of horsehide. Actually, for the quite short weapons you posted, the Vertical Scabbard should work just fine; it is the larger weapons, such as 4” revolving pistols, that benefit most from that bit of muzzle-forward tilt. Horsehide is nicely quiet.

Kydex? JMCK OWB, of course, with the straight vertical angle.
    This is probably a dumb question but will this holster work at over the strong side hip? And does it keep the butt of the pistol tucked in?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    A while back, @GJM suggested the Mitch Rosen Express "Upper Limit" for my G19.5. It is a high riding, straight draw leather OWB that I wore near the Appendix position.

It worked very well. A minus was that despite being high riding, it could show itself depending on how well my carry garment draped. Otherwise I quite liked it. When I switched to a P30SK LEM, I bought another one.

Name:  26f99e4494ba55e65c51095c2b1dae7e.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  45.2 KB
    I forgot all about this holster. Thank you for the reminder.

True appendix carry (IWB or OWB) just doesn't work for me. It's not comfortable, nor is it particularly concealable..

I use a kydex holster that is similar to the Rosen Upper Limit.

I carry OWB in the 2-3 o'clock position.

This topic reminds me of why we all end up with a box of unused holsters!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have played with it a bit over the years to include having a purpose designed OWB kydex holster made for it. (No longer in business)

It was quite fast. I was mostly carrying a G34/35 with a bit of G19/17.

For me ( 6' 2-3'', 204 ish 34/36 inch waist/34 inseam/44 l coat) it required me moving toward "oversizing" my cover garment at the expense of style and "greymanness."

If oversized and untucked is your style, it might be a game changer.

A G26 with a pinky extension would be 10+1 (I am not looking for capacity in this application, just a better firing grip. YMMV) of fun.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    This is probably a dumb question but will this holster work at over the strong side hip? And does it keep the butt of the pistol tucked in?
    Well, to answer the last past first, part of what keeps a gun’s butt “tucked in,” on many folks’ bodies, is the forward tilt. So, a straight-vertical holster may not tuck-in the butt, as well. If the holster has a rearward tilt, as would a cross-draw rig, well, that is even less tucked-in.

One thing to keep in mind, is that a boxy gun, like a G26, if carried in a straight-vertical holster, will look much like a boxy mobile communications device. It is socially acceptable to carry a mobile communication device, on one’s belt.

A straight-vertical holster works for me, if carried as far back as 0300, or, if lefty, at 0900. If the holster is tilted at a cross-draw angle, well, that sets-up most people for a clumsy, difficult-to-do draw angle. The nice thing, for me, about a straight-vertical draw angle, is that it works everywhere from right at the belt buckle position, all the way ‘round to the hip.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I have a Kramer Vertical scabbard for a Colt Night Cobra, and being left handed it rides at 10 oclock. It's fast, easy to reach in many daily activities. It positions the butt of the gun for a quick sure grasp and a short draw stroke. You cannot let your coat/shirt tails flap in the breeze. It does require some consciousness as to where the gun is and how the layering garment covers it. Easy on the rotator cuff, which helps me.Name:  IMG_2624 (2).jpg
Views: 756
Size:  65.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I have a Kramer Vertical scabbard for a Colt Night Cobra, and being left handed it rides at 10 oclock. It's fast, easy to reach in many daily activities. It positions the butt of the gun for a quick sure grasp and a short draw stroke. You cannot let your coat/shirt tails flap in the breeze. It does require some consciousness as to where the gun is and how the layering garment covers it. Easy on the rotator cuff, which helps me.Name:  IMG_2624 (2).jpg
Views: 756
Size:  65.5 KB
    Beautiful holster, for a beautiful gun.

And a hearty “amen,” about being easy on the rotator cuff. My right rotator cuff has been on-and-off gimpy, for decades, and a left rotator cuff injury, in 2017, part of what prompted me to retire, from LEO-ing, in early 2018, took about a year to heal. So, I have learned a few things about being easy on one’s shoulders.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List