Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Carry Gun Advice

Haven't read all the other posts but it really comes down to preference. I absolutely love the M&P Shield Plus both in how easy it carries and how well it shoots and that would be my first choice. I rented a Sig P365 and although definitely smaller, I did not prefer the feel of the gun. Others love it.

I had a Glock 19 and it printed quite a bit for me due to the blocky shape. It was odd that even though the Walther PPQ is a bigger gun, it didn't print as much on me because of the shape. However, everyone's body is different and some carry the Glock 19 really well. It was a great gun to shoot and I would always recommend anyone to take a hard look at it as an option. I personally prefer some kind of safety mechanism and would not want to carry a Glock without a Striker Control Device. Others are fine with doing so. Again it is preference.

Really it is going to come down to striker vs hammer, carry capacity, size, price, etc.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned is a gun can look great on paper but be a completely different animal when shooting it. Narrow the options and do whatever you can to shoot those before deciding. If you can't, try to buy used and if you don't like the gun, you probably won't lose much on reselling.

My preferred order:

M&P Shield Plus
    M&P 2.0 Compact/Glock 19 with SCD
    Sig P365
    Glock 26 with SCD
    Glock 43X with SCD
    Glock 43 with SCD

Prioritizing a balance of size and capacity. No experience or opinion on the CZ options.

Out of the OP's list, I own and carry a (Glock) G19gen5, G26gen3, and G43. I have several more handguns than the number on that list, all having holsters of various types allowing me to carry any of the ones I own. I don't think I own any guns when I started getting into firearms/handguns in 1988 which also means the decision doesn't have to be forever.

If the OP wanted to do a poll to see what all respondents have and carry, I suppose that's one way of analyzing the list. The OP really needs to make a decision and give whatever is bought a chance. Nobody really cares what someone else decides to buy and nobody needs to be justifying one's decision to anyone else although I agree with the other folks, every handgun on that list looks to be a good choice (nothing quirky, rare, or just plain bad). With too much analyzing, that will become a problem resulting in nothing being bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Ah, I see. I do the same thing. I thought my thumbs were in a bad way but i can still thumb down my CZs and HKs. Out of interest what pistols suit you best?
    P30 and P2000 series HKs and classic SIGs without beaver tails work the best, and I can do Berettas, both 92 and PX4 series OK. I put flush fit hammers on Berettas and that makes it more challenging. Overall, HKs; I didn't have any issues thumbing down even flush fitting LEM hammer.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I disliked the P365. I also disliked the G43, G43X, G48 and the Shield Plus was...well...meh. I made a regular Shield work for awhile because it sort of did what I wanted it to do.

You owe it to yourself to try a P365XL. It's the gun SIG should have come out with before the P365. It shoots like a much larger gun.
    This is my thought. I get wanting to stay with one platform but if you're considering a 43/48 that's not really the same platform, that's why Glock took so long to make one.

P365XL does a lot of things very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Sounds like you need a G26 and a JMCK IWB#3 holster. Do some work with that, and you’ll probably set.
    This. Now that you’ve fleshed things out a bit for us, the G26 is sort of floating to the top, out of a solid laundry list of good options. Honestly, the G26 is probably an even easier button for generic joe blow CCW than the venerated G19. Given that you have a 17 already, I’d say get a Gen 5 26, the JMCK, and worry about a really good class (eg. ECQC or other vetted coursework in the same tier) and move on to posting in the unarmed and meme threads.

JMO, but hey, everyone has an opinion.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Every time see these threads, I start thinking about the P365. The I shoot the range rental and I’m just meh. Doesn’t help I shoot my 43 freakishly well for its size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Every time see these threads, I start thinking about the P365. The I shoot the range rental and I’m just meh. Doesn’t help I shoot my 43 freakishly well for its size.
    Sometimes what makes the most sense on paper doesn't make the most sense at the range. I understand.

Site Supporter
    @HammerStriker

Before you start looking at other guns, I'd look at your belt and holster first. Those two things make a HUGE difference in your ability to carry comfortably and with minimal printing. The choices are overwhelming, and a lot of it seems well made, but the good stuff is designed with little details that sets it apart. Stick with the brands popular on P-F for now (JM Custom, Dark Star Gear, etc), get a good stiff belt, and you're more likely to hit that "ah hah!" moment. At your size and frame, you shouldn't have much trouble carrying the P-01 or G17. I'm 5'5" with a somewhat athletic frame, and I wear fairly close fitting clothes. I can carry a G19 with RMR at 4 o'clock in a JM Custom IWB 3.0 with all but the most form fitting shirts in the summer, and I a little paranoid about printing. I've fallen asleep for a cat nap with that setup on me quite a few times. I carry a G26 with RMR whenever printing is more of an issue.

If you're going to stick with the P-01, make sure to practice that DA transition instead of being lazy and loading from slide lock at a static range with the hammer already cocked. If you do try out a new gun, I'd highly suggest the G19 if you find the 17 too big for you. There's plenty of reasons that so many on this forum and others suggest it. It's not always the right answer in the end, though it usually is, but IMHO it's probably the best baseline to start off with. Take some classes, compete, and learn to shoot well with it, THEN decide whether or not it works for you. If it doesn't, you'll be better able to articulate why it doesn't. I wish I understood this bit of wisdom back when I first started shooting and carrying, but I hadn't discovered P-F back then. Even if I did, I don't think I would have been ready for what it had to offer.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party.

As you already have a 17 (if I gleaned that correctly from other posts in the thread), I would angle hard toward the G26.

If you wanted to go a different way, the P365 has a lot of fans in the BTDT (LEO/MIL/GOVT/COMP) crowd that would make me take a look.

I concur x100 that a purposed designed belt mated with a purpose designed holster makes all the difference in the world re concealment.
    You mentioned a black leather dress belt-I would gravitate toward something 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick ( 1.5 inch tapering to 1.00- 1.25 inches is optimum if you are a traditional IWB (3-4:30 RH)
    as the belt faces up less bulky out to the world.

Finally, from the legal point of view, concealed means concealed, it does not mean invisible to the trained eye at 1 meter. I fully acknowledge that there may be other drivers other than legal re you not wanting to "print."
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Try the P365XL. It's a different animal.

User Tag List