Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Gun Advice

So, I’m not a huge fan of the slimline guns, and I’ve shot a few. The 365 (not XL) wasn’t fun for me to shoot. The G48 I tried wasn’t either. Right now I like my Shield Plus shooting wise but in about 100 rounds I’ve had a stoppage already. It was with hand loads (my own) so I’m not toooo worried just yet, but I can’t/won’t trust it for carry until I see more.

I vastly prefer the old school double stacks for carry when I can conceal them, which is 99% of the time for me when I’m not at work. If I need something more concealable I’ve normally gone to a snub revolver. I’ve been trying to replace the snubs with semi autos for a while but I’ve never found something else I liked as well in that role as a J Frame or LCR.

But I’m not you. I know why my stuff is as it is. That doesn’t mean it’ll work for you, or that my stuff is all necessarily in one sock either. I’m learning every day and have been for nigh on a decade here.

I do think you answered your own question earlier though. You have a G17 and you like how it shoots. You shoot a G26 almost as well. You’re built fairly slim. Sounds like a G26 is about ideal to me. Hell, I’ve got a Gen 5 G26 and am contemplating a second one. I shoot a G26 better than I shoot any of the slim lines.

I think the answer for you might be the G26 since you've been able to shoot it well. It's a well vetted gun capable of startling accuracy in some people's hands. You could use your G17 for home defense and any classes you go to and have much of that training readily transferrable to the carry gun G26. Unless you just want to experiment with other platforms for the fun of it, it would seem an easy choice!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I don't think anyone has mentioned the CZ PCR, but I really think it should not be overlooked. Every one I have owned and/or shot has been scary accurate and reliable as any pistol I have used. They just aren't popular, and I certainly can't argue with the suggestions already provided.

G26 is what I moved to about 15 years ago. It was a compromise, but mixes shootability with a size only slightly larger than a J Frame revolver. I consider it easier to shoot than revolvers and, despite the small size, subjectively shoots within 75% of a larger pistol.

If I was going to switch, the CZ or SIG would be the options I would choose.

The CZ’s don’t fit my smaller hands as well as Glock. Getting a first class trigger seems to take a trip to Cajun Gun Works or the CZ Pro Shop. I have shot a P07 at some length and was very impressed - good enough trigger, great pointability and nothing to complain about except the near-Uzi size.

Those SIG P365s feel awesome - I have been tempted by the size/capacity witchcraft. However, the safety debacle around the P320s have me very shy of the company. I know there has been positive comments on the P365 across the board, but giving SIG my money… Nah. I say that having owned hammer-fired P-Series pistols… and being pretty positive on their older guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the CZ PCR, but I really think it should not be overlooked. Every one I have owned and/or shot has been scary accurate and reliable as any pistol I have used. They just aren't popular, and I certainly can't argue with the suggestions already provided.
    I owned a couple of P01s that are in the same family. I may be special needs with my thumb but I couldn't reliably get to their hammers because of beavertails. For that matter, on all CZs that I've owned.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

19 first, 365 second.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I owned a couple of P01s that are in the same family. I may be special needs with my thumb but I couldn't reliably get to their hammers because of beavertails. For that matter, on all CZs that I've owned.
    I don't understand your problem with your thumb and hammer. Can you explain what the issue is?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I don't understand your problem with your thumb and hammer. Can you explain what the issue is?
    I want to be able to press down on hammer of DA/SA (or LEM, or revolvers) handguns when handling them, especially when holstering. More so on DA/SA guns than others I mentioned. Depending on grip shape and size of beavertail, on some guns I cannot thumb-trap that hammer easily and reliably. That DQs those guns from carry use for me.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post

I just bought a Milt Sparks VM2 for mine. One of my favorite carry holsters with my now favorite carry gun. I'll post something on it once I have the gun/holster combo all broken in.
    Yes please.

My P365x is the first gun I've ever considered a Milt Sparks, or similar leather holster, for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    So, I’m not a huge fan of the slimline guns, and I’ve shot a few. The 365 (not XL) wasn’t fun for me to shoot. The G48 I tried wasn’t either. Right now I like my Shield Plus shooting wise but in about 100 rounds I’ve had a stoppage already. It was with hand loads (my own) so I’m not toooo worried just yet, but I can’t/won’t trust it for carry until I see more.

I vastly prefer the old school double stacks for carry when I can conceal them, which is 99% of the time for me when I’m not at work. If I need something more concealable I’ve normally gone to a snub revolver. I’ve been trying to replace the snubs with semi autos for a while but I’ve never found something else I liked as well in that role as a J Frame or LCR.

But I’m not you. I know why my stuff is as it is. That doesn’t mean it’ll work for you, or that my stuff is all necessarily in one sock either. I’m learning every day and have been for nigh on a decade here.

I do think you answered your own question earlier though. You have a G17 and you like how it shoots. You shoot a G26 almost as well. You’re built fairly slim. Sounds like a G26 is about ideal to me. Hell, I’ve got a Gen 5 G26 and am contemplating a second one. I shoot a G26 better than I shoot any of the slim lines.
    I disliked the P365. I also disliked the G43, G43X, G48 and the Shield Plus was...well...meh. I made a regular Shield work for awhile because it sort of did what I wanted it to do.

You owe it to yourself to try a P365XL. It's the gun SIG should have come out with before the P365. It shoots like a much larger gun.

User Tag List