Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare magazine or spare gun

@GJM, I believe you're objectively more capable with a BUG vs a reload.

If you find them to be the same encumbrance or the BUG to be even less of an encumbrance, I'd run with that 100%. Personally, I don't find them to be anywhere near the same encumbrance, so I run a spare mag.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Even when off duty I rarely carry a spare mag unless I'm going to specific cities (like Houston, San Antonio, Dallas) or places (the mall, concerts, or any other place that might be the target of an active shooter). Based on the data I've seen 10+ rounds should get me through 99.999% of the defensive situations I would find myself in even as an off duty officer.

No BUG for me....

You can vet a whole other gun or a metal box with a spring in it.

I choose box with a spring in it.

Why is this an "either/or" proposition?

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I believe @Chuck Whitlock carries a BUG on his waistline.
    He does...usually...when out and about on his own time.

TC215 may be referring to this:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1095724

Understand that I am a peace officer in a southern coastal area, where getting "made" being armed has little to no negative consequence. Also, I can...and do...dress like a (beach) bum on my own time, which consists of a T-shirt and unbuttoned cover shirt, paired with shorts and sandals, or jeans and hikers or cowboy boots. This does, in fact, "blend" reasonably here. I am a huge believer in consistency as much as practicable, so haven't used ankle carry in a long time, although there are a couple in the holster bin.

Why a BUG?
    I've been present when a co-worker's Glock 22 broke on the range. Not jammed/malfunctioned...BROKE! Rear frame rails snapped off. Ain't no fixing that in the middle of a fight. As the de facto (certified) agency armorer, I did a little digging. His gun was one of four in our inventory in the affected serial number range....one had been used in an OIS about a month prior, and one was in my holster. So...Why a BUG? Because shit happens.

As the late, great Pat Rogers stated: mission drives the gear train.

If the BUG is on my belt, then I have a spare mag for the primary on the belt, and a spare for the BUG in a pocket. If the BUG is in the pocket, there are usually 2 spares for the primary and none for the BUG. In any event, I'm also toting two lights and, usually, two blades, with one available to either hand. I'm a fat little guy, and wear relaxed-fit Duluth shorts and jeans, and have figured out how to make this work...for ME. YMMV, and, probably, does to a greater or lesser extent.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I don’t see carrying a second gun as necessarily because a person ran out of rounds and wanted to go for a second gun rather than reload the primary, but as options:

DB has written frequently of carrying a semiauto and a pocket revolver, not as a backup but as a second option - draw from the pocket when AIWB or SmartCarry draw isn’t the best option. Mike Pipes, who’s been to every revolver roundup, carries as many as 5 jframes at the same time for right and left hand access from various positions, not necessarily as a plan to use a second or third revolver instead of reloading the first one - he is competent at reloading them, I can attest, from watching him do it at this last Revolver Roundup.

When I carry more than one, it is again, not so much as a “backup” but as a second (or third) gun. One is in my right front pocket, an additional one might be on the belt or in a SmartCarry or shoulder holster, and another might be on the ankle. Walking or standing around with my hand in my pocket is very normal, with the option to go to a belt line draw, and then in a seated or other compromised position for an ankle draw.
    There have been a couple really good threads about this if anyone cares to dig them up.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but occasionally when i carry a BUG, it's actually a LWG (Lazy Wife Gun). Its not glamorous work but it keeps me on the payroll.

I’m gonna butcher this, but in the recent podcast with Bolke et. al., seems like med gear won out for most over even a spare mag. With the lone exception being Mr. Bolke because, if I recall correctly, he is a shit magnet .
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    Since man bags have become acceptable thing to have on your person, I have thought about using one to carry a bug.
    I'm aware of the problem of off body carry, so if I went that route it would have to be a shoulder bag across the body. Something that I wouldn't be inclined to take off when I sit down.

To use an aircraft analogy, a single engine is usually simpler and more efficient. However, the day that single engine fails, the second engine can be a life saver.

Carrying a long gun, it feels normal to carry a second gun, in the form of a handgun. Out and about with my wife, there is a second gun. By myself, depending upon circumstances a second gun is something I ponder.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I carry at least one if not two spare mags. It is more for malfunction issues. Some jams are easier to clear by ripping out a mag. I have seen many mags malfunction with cocked followers or stuck springs. I have seen baseplates break off and have seen glock mags that became inoperable.

Lastly, I have trained/practiced more for malfunction clearance and reloads vs employing a BUG.

Cheers, Steve

User Tag List