Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare magazine or spare gun

Ever since I got back from revolver round up this year I've been carrying a 640 Pro AIWB with two 6 rnd speed strips in my back left pants pocket (I'm left handed) since I guess I am a optimist.... I like to toss the 642 in a simply rugged pocket holster as well, I like the "tactic" of standing around talking to people non threateningly with my left hand nonchalantly in my pants pocket... Working a gun counter for my buddy part time since I retired from active duty makes this useful every so often.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Ever since I got back from revolver round up this year I've been carrying a 640 Pro AIWB with two 6 rnd speed strips in my back left pants pocket (I'm left handed) since I guess I am a optimist.... I like to toss the 642 in a simply rugged pocket holster as well, I like the "tactic" of standing around talking to people non threateningly with my left hand nonchalantly in my pants pocket... Working a gun counter for my buddy part time since I retired from active duty makes this useful every so often.
    Congrats on the retirement, R. Did I miss the official announcement? (I knew you were working up to it.)

Beers / bourbon / single malt on me when you make your way out west to the mountains.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    Ive thought of this several times over the years and for me the reload is preferred to the BUG. I went back to the G19 from a trip down smaller is better because I just don’t shoot the smalls well. I am pretty sure I can reload the G19 as fast or faster then dropping it and pulling a small pistol and when I am done with the reload I have my fighting pistol in my hand not an “ its better then nothing” pistol.
    I do see the bug as a great advantage if you end up with a breakage or out of service malfunction but my experience with the G19 says that’s just to rare of an occurrence to entertain and Ill drive myself bat shit crazy trying to be ready for every possible scenario ….

Stay Safe
    Clay
    Last edited by CHNEAL; 12-25-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    I think it depends on the circumstances of carry. The main reason for a second gun is if your first fails or gets taken away. If the reason for your second gun is a reload what are you going to do with your first gun? Are you going to shoot to slide lock and drop it going for your second gun? Are you going be able to use it partially, re-holster it and get your second full gun into action? Whatever you plan to do you are always bringing a gun to some kind of engagement and you are going to have to be responsible for it, where it goes and whose hands it falls into.

Many moons ago before I retired I carried two handguns. I was more worried about my gun failing or being taken away than a lack of reloads. As a Watch Commander I jumped a lot of calls and I carried a P225 and a second P225 with a total of 6 magazines (One in each gun, four on the belt). I shot the P225 very well and had to ditch them when we went to the P239. But I did the same thing with the P239, I had an issued one and carried one as a backup with 4 additional magazines. I liked the idea of having the same guns as backups for familiarity and using the same magazines. Being in uniform that made sense to me. (We were also issued Sig P226's but I liked the single stacks).

If you can figure out what to do with gun number one while you go for gun number two and it is as fast as a reload then why not.

Site Supporter
    My first thought is given the hundreds of thousands of reps you have burned in for a reload, you would be better served by a reload v. a second gun given who you are and what you do.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I think reload vs BUG is a more viable discussion for the revolver than for a semi-auto. The size, weight, and simplicity of a single magazine fast outruns the merits of a second gun for the typical gun toter.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Reloads suck and having a separate gun accessed a different way from your primary available seems reasonable. For me it is one in pocket and one on belt.
    If you differentiated revo from SA, I missed it. If applicable to SA... Reloads suck for whom, how, and when? When you put your reload vs pocket draw on a timer, what are the results? When a pocket gun is needed from an unconventional position, what then?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I don’t see carrying a second gun as necessarily because a person ran out of rounds and wanted to go for a second gun rather than reload the primary, but as options:

DB has written frequently of carrying a semiauto and a pocket revolver, not as a backup but as a second option - draw from the pocket when AIWB or SmartCarry draw isn’t the best option. Mike Pipes, who’s been to every revolver roundup, carries as many as 5 jframes at the same time for right and left hand access from various positions, not necessarily as a plan to use a second or third revolver instead of reloading the first one - he is competent at reloading them, I can attest, from watching him do it at this last Revolver Roundup.

When I carry more than one, it is again, not so much as a “backup” but as a second (or third) gun. One is in my right front pocket, an additional one might be on the belt or in a SmartCarry or shoulder holster, and another might be on the ankle. Walking or standing around with my hand in my pocket is very normal, with the option to go to a belt line draw, and then in a seated or other compromised position for an ankle draw.

Site Supporter
    I'm a nobody, so what I do is basically "playing". I don't recommend anything I do to anyone. I'm pre-novice.
    I have the Phlster Engima, so my Glock is independent of my jeans and carried appendix. So I've added my j-frame beside my extra magazine IWB on the left side -- to try it out, see how it feels on my belt. It works, I've been able to do my daily job but when I get home, I remove the j-frame and extra magazine. It starts to bug me after nine hours; I think it's the cheap holster for my j-frame. A better holster would increase comfort. Also, losing weight would help. I'm overweight, and either I have to buy new jeans, or get off my ass and start walking my dog. The cheaper solution is walking.
    All my rambling to say the Engima makes it easy to carry a second gun on your belt.
    --Jason--

Spare mag in a spare gun? You do you. I'm not a LEO, if I was a spare gun and spare mags and a rifle would seem appropriate. A sub-compact 9mm with a spare mag is with me on my trip to and from work (14 miles from the burbs to a major city.) Only once I wished I had a spare gun. Getting off work at 2000 (or 8pm if you prefer) in late-Spring 2020 and there were riots? The spare I wanted wasn't a handgun.

I believe @Chuck Whitlock carries a BUG on his waistline.

User Tag List