Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Light That Candle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Made it.
    I forwarded the announcement to a friend who worked on the mirrors. He is very proud but he also has berylliosis.
    That’s a rough dx.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

While aptly named, when I hear that name, I think of another James that inspired a lot of my generation.

James Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Now I want to see it successfully deploy/unfold itself and start sending back images.
    I heard 6 months on the news last week for calibration and systems testing.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Very interesting video about the engineering of the telescope:

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    According to the JWST Blog, they’ve fully tensioned three of the five layers of the sunshield. The observation side is cooling down. Tomorrow, they plan to finish tensioning the sunshield.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Sunshield was fully-tensioned yesterday. The secondary mirror is being deployed. The side with the telescope is down to -323degF.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Sunshield was fully-tensioned yesterday. The secondary mirror is being deployed. The side with the telescope is down to -323degF.
    0 Kelvin (aka "Absolute Zero") is -459.7'F. -323F is some serious cold. Liquid Nitrogen is -320'F

Fun facts... https://education.jlab.org/qa/liquidnitrogen_02.html
    Fluid Boiling temperature
    Celsius
    Boiling temperature
    Fahrenheit
    Oxygen -183° -297°
    Nitrogen -196° -320°
    Neon -246° -411°
    Hydrogen -253° -423°
    Helium -270° -452°
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The secondary mirror is fully deployed. Three major evolutions left, 2/3rds of the way to its L2 orbit.

The telescope’s fully deployed. Now comes sliding into the L2 orbit and calibration/tuning.

User Tag List