Thread: Sharp Shooters in Lorton?

Sharp Shooters in Lorton?

Has anyone been to this range recently? Their website looks...ignored, and says they were getting upgraded hardware in 2009.

Are they membership-only?

Any thoughts on the range?

It's pretty close to work, and I'm looking at it as an option for lunch-hour practice sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

I used to shoot there. Their air filtration is terrible and the lighting isn't great either. They are friendly enough and you can draw from the holster though.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

When I went there, they had an odd rule in which unless you're LE, you cannot concealed carry a loaded weapon. However, they'd let anyone shoot on their range and you would get muzzle flagged constantly. Odd disconnect...... I'd say shoot there but watch those around you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post

It's pretty close to work, and I'm looking at it as an option for lunch-hour practice sessions.
    This might justify it. Probably won't be too many people during the day.

Air filtration is pretty awful. Also the lighting is pretty bad.

They did improve their backstop, so you can now go to this fairly small indoor range and crank away with an AR15. Which must be.. painful
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I've been going there on and off for a few years now. Wait times on the weekends are around 1.5 to 2 hours. Range is hot as sh*t during the summer. Air filtration was horrible, but it has gotten better. The staff is a bunch of idiots. But for convenience, I go there and they let you do what you want and don't bother you. Sometimes it attracts some weird people that don't know how to handle guns. During the day, overall, I think you will be ok.

they are membership only but anyone can get a monthly membership. Cost is 25 dollars which includes monthly membership and first range visit, 10 every visit after. They also have 6 months and 12 month memberships...forgot the costs.

I swore I wouldn't shoot there again after I bought my nra membership. If you have to stand next to someone firing a 22 or cast lead bullets you will feel it when you leave. Like breathing will not be as easy as it was when you came in. I told them that if they fixed the air I would come back, if not I won't. I live very close to the range, but it's just not worth it to me.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I belong to both NRA range and Sharpshooters and I shoot IDPA at Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly. I shoot most frequently at Sharpshooters mainly because I rarely have to wait to get a lane at Sharpshooters and I like the staff there. The NRA range almost always has a wait from 5PM-10PM and all weekend long, sometimes more than 2 hours. I rarely have to wait at Sharpshooters, and only on the weekends.

Sharpshooters did a recent upgrade and the lighting is great. You can also shoot rifle there after the upgrade. Also, they now have lanes with 180 degree turners and they can be programmed for a sequence. (Not all lanes) They do try and keep the rifle and pistol shooters separated, but at busy times you could end up with them right next to you. You can also get guys doing their own smokey reloads there and it can, on occasion, get very smokey. And, I would like to see better ventilation, but I don't think it is as bad as older ranges and Tim, the manager, has told me it meets the NRA range requirements. I use a lead paint dust mask from home depot for those rare occasions when I get concerned about it.

During the day you should get a lane immediately and should not be smokey. Weekends can get busy and smokey, but if you go early or late it is better.

I have never seen a SO give a muzzle to people on the range, and sometimes I wish they did. I have rarely seen them do much policing at all. They are more concerned about carrying a hot gun in/out and not shooting their target clips. (Get over it...IDPA events always start cold) In fact, I have leaned over and asked a person or two to watch their trigger finger while in the lane next to me. You don't have to take any tests or prove proficiency which is both good and bad. It makes it easy to bring along a buddy, but you get newbies on the range that should have received a better safety briefing, if they received one at all.

I really like the staff there. Many of them compete, and some are master shooters with great experience in IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, rimfire, etc. I also like that they sell used and new guns there. They offer discounts to members on many of the guns there. I bought my new Kimber CDP Ultra in 9mm there. I also bought a used CZ2075 from them for a great price. Keep an eye for their used guns and you can find some good deals and rare guns. They also rent guns there for buddy's that might be in town. And you can bring your own ammo, but no steel in the bullets. Their ammo is fair priced for local gun shop, but I never buy there since I order by internet. And, Tim can probably get you Open Class Pistols or competition rifles and NFA stuff that may not be out on display...check with Tim.

It is my favorite place to shoot and talk guns. But you do have to find the right persons to talk to...not all are into competition and some are better at rifles than pistols, 1911's, etc. If I had to ask for any improvements, it would be to improve the ventilation and provide armorer services and host IDPA matches there.

Just to clarify my relationship: I am just a customer and I do know a couple of staff that shoot IDPA and get no benefit to write this recommendation. It comes with my four star recommendation...out of five. I recommend the yearly membership...saves money.

Nothing here should be interpreted as a mark against the NRA range. The staff are very friendly and the range has good ventilation and 180 degree turners, and nice facility. However, it is soooo busy in evenings and weekends that I end up at Sharpshooters much more often. Also they don't sell or rent guns.
    CC
    Last edited by cclaxton; 08-19-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Can anyone speak to the staff here? Friend is in the area and getting her CCW for VA and an M&P, was hoping it wasn't a moron running the show.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List