Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Relatively New Pickups

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If you order one and wait for delivery, it'll almost certainly be cheaper than a 0-3 year old used/new one on the lot today. Unless you've got some secret squirrel hookup.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have been Toyota loyal for years, but lately Toyota has been riding on their reputation with the Tacoma, and especially the 4Runner. 2015 technology crammed into a 2020/2021 build, with nice paint.

Seems like Ram is the truck of choice, although I am curious about the new Tundra TRD Pro.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been Toyota loyal for years, but lately Toyota has been riding on their reputation with the Tacoma, and especially the 4Runner. 2015 technology crammed into a 2020/2021 build, with nice paint.

Seems like Ram is the truck of choice, although I am curious about the new Tundra TRD Pro.
    The trade off with Toyotas is resale and fewer problems. One needs to decide how important a 15" screen is....

Rams have great interiors and nice visuals (talkin 1500s) but as a GM (friend) of a CDJR dealership told me they start driving sloppy at about 30K.

New tundra would give it a year.

Another thing I tend to suggest is that ordering might offer a savings by not getting options you really don't want but dealers specify for inventory units.

For example, if you do not have kids the extended cab is less than crew cab, but has plenty of room for dogs and occasional passengers.

Since you are not worried about trading you could order and wait.

Also, if the choice is Taco and F-150, might the Ranger be an option? I spent three days with one and I think they are nice, and tge size might be a sweet spot. And you can probably get one eaiser than either a Taco or an F-150, two of the most desired choices in a tight market.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I own 3 tundras, 2 Ram 2500’s, 4-F350’s (2 diesel, 2 7.3l gas)

Every truck sees between 3,000mi to 4,000mi a month.

If you do not care about creature comfort’s and have no need for a HD truck….Tundra hands down. If you’re looking at Ram, stay away from the high end tech packages

I’m on my 2nd F-350, coming from Rams and Tundras. Ford is the best balance of creature comforts, power, and interior. My 2022 King Ranch below, tows 22k pounds like a champ all the while massaging my back driving down the road [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The trade off with Toyotas is resale and fewer problems. One needs to decide how important a 15" screen is....

Rams have great interiors and nice visuals (talkin 1500s) but as a GM (friend) of a CDJR dealership told me they start driving sloppy at about 30K.

New tundra would give it a year.
    Amazing resale, like no depreciation for the last two Toyotas we sold. The flip side is crappy gas mileage, crappy power, and minimal tech. Our 21 4 Runner TRD Pro doesn’t have blind spot monitoring or a heated steering wheel.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm not sure I could pay todays prices for vehicles. I've been focused on taking really good care of what I currently have, hoping this madness ends. I have a tractor and a mini ex to haul so a new 1 ton dually is on my list of wants, I'm just not spending 100k for one.
    Last edited by andre3k; 12-25-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Vastly different rigs....different capabilities.....

What is the application?

How long do you keep a vehicle? (be realistic most people aren't)

Do you need a different vehicle now? The market is f'd up.

In a normal market there is no savings on a used 1-3 yo Taco. probably worse now.

Used F150 much better deal.

Do to pricing on used buying today puts one in a bad position for trade or sale for the next 2-4 years.

The market is the market.
    It will be a daily driver. I work from home, so there's no commute to speak of except for driving from Tacoma to Seattle a couple of times a month. Beyond that, it will get a fair amount of time on logging roads for scouting and during hunting season. I managed to get a bull elk home in a Volvo sedan a few years ago, but I wasn't hunting far from home and I don't care to repeat that experience. Occasionally, I'll haul furniture, plants/mulch for yard work, and whatever else Ms. Okie doesn't want in the back of her Lexus. I probably won't tow anything with it.

I tend to drive cars until they fall apart, get stolen, or get wrecked--I kept a Jeep Wrangler for about 150k miles.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It will be a daily driver. I work from home, so there's no commute to speak of except for driving from Tacoma to Seattle a couple of times a month. Beyond that, it will get a fair amount of time on logging roads for scouting and during hunting season. I managed to get a bull elk home in a Volvo sedan a few years ago, but I wasn't hunting far from home and I don't care to repeat that experience. Occasionally, I'll haul furniture, plants/mulch for yard work, and whatever else Ms. Okie doesn't want in the back of her Lexus. I probably won't tow anything with it.

I tend to drive cars until they fall apart, get stolen, or get wrecked--I kept a Jeep Wrangler for about 150k miles.

Okie John
    I feel your use case is were a Tacoma or similar sized truck shines. Gas mileage may be about the same as a full-size but lighter weight and somewhat smaller package can make it more maneuverable and off-road capable then a full-size with sufficient payload for gear and game. It town the same smaller package that makes it more maneuverable on the trail can have the same benefits in traffic and parking.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I'm not sure I could pay todays prices for vehicles. I've been focused on taking really good care of what I currently have, hoping this madness ends. I have a tractor and a mini ex to haul so a new 1 ton dually is on my list of wants, I'm just not spending 100k for one.
    The market is insane, I don’t think it will return to normal for a few years.

I ordered both of my 2022’s, paid MSRP, took 4 months to get in. Both were mid 80’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List