Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Relatively New Pickups

RFI: Relatively New Pickups

I currently drive a 2018 VW Jetta. I'm looking to buy either a Ford F150 or a Toyota Tacoma by the end of the year. Model year would be 2020 or 2021.

The Jetta is paid for so I'll sell it privately and apply proceeds to the truck loan.

I'm already pre-approved for financing well above my budget ceiling through USAA at 1.89% APR.

Thoughts? Things to avoid?

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I bought a 2021 F150 in September and was able to get 0% through Ford Credit but it had to be a 72 month loan for that.

Everyone I know with a new Taco had had buyers remorse. Only a sample of 3. Strange, but everyone else I know with a compact pickup loves it (Colorado, Gladiator, Pilot, Ranger).

Everyone I know with an F150 loves it. Sample of 5.

Toyota has a good reputation and I have a 4R now, but if you want a full size PU you want to look at Dodge or Ford. Ford has the lock on the v6 turbo and Dodge has a lock on the V8. Personally, I would buy a Dodge today if I wanted a 1/2 ton PU.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I currently drive a 2018 VW Jetta. I'm looking to buy either a Ford F150 or a Toyota Tacoma by the end of the year. Model year would be 2020 or 2021.

The Jetta is paid for so I'll sell it privately and apply proceeds to the truck loan.

I'm already pre-approved for financing well above my budget ceiling through USAA at 1.89% APR.

Thoughts? Things to avoid?

thanks,

Okie John
    Vastly different rigs....different capabilities.....

What is the application?

How long do you keep a vehicle? (be realistic most people aren't)

Do you need a different vehicle now? The market is f'd up.

In a normal market there is no savings on a used 1-3 yo Taco. probably worse now.

Used F150 much better deal.

Do to pricing on used buying today puts one in a bad position for trade or sale for the next 2-4 years.

The market is the market.

We have an 2020 F150 squad. Crew cab 4x4 with eco boost. I like it enough that I looked into buying one for myself. I just can’t spend that much on a truck, but if I had the extra scratch I’d definitely do it.

I may be biased though.
    I’ve had 2001 F150 Super Crew, 2011 Super crew Platinum and currently driving an 02 F150 I inherited.

Site Supporter
    I have a 2014 Taco and am very pleased with it. I wanted reliability and so far have seen it in spades and the resale is terrific. That said for space reasons my next truck will be a full size.

If you haul or tow much full size is the way to go.

Reg highway gas mileage on a non-turbo is prob pretty close on either.

My thoughts are to 1) not buy anything unless you have no other choice as you will overpay, and 2) buy nothing made anytime after 01-MAR-2020 as the parts and/or assembly are suspect.

The Tacoma will never ever loose it's value! Ever!

Ok but seriously, take a look at what used Tacomas go for!! Even before this crazy 18 months. You could buy it, put 10 years and 100k miles and sell it for $5k less than you bought it for

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Toyota has a good reputation and I have a 4R now, but if you want a full size PU you want to look at Dodge or Ford. Ford has the lock on the v6 turbo and Dodge has a lock on the V8. Personally, I would buy a Dodge today if I wanted a 1/2 ton PU.
    I've got a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic (the "cheap" version) that I bought new in August 2020 and have since put 30k miles on. I bought it because I wanted a full-size car with a pickup bed, so I got it with the V6 and the tallest rear end (3.21) available. It's been solid, no problems. The only towing I've done with it was a U-Haul from home to Las Vegas and it did fine.

User Tag List