Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Relatively New Pickups

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    it's one of the things that keeps me away from an F150 hybrid... no large tank option.

Just using Ford's numbers... Ford 2021 tech specs pdf

3.5 Ecoboost, 20mpg combined x 36 gal tank = 720 mile range
    3.5 powerboost, 24mpg combined, x 30.6 gal tank = 735 mile range.

If you're a "half a tank" guy you're going to be trying to fill up around 350 miles in, either way.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Just using Ford's numbers... Ford 2021 tech specs pdf

3.5 Ecoboost, 20mpg combined x 36 gal tank = 720 mile range
    3.5 powerboost, 24mpg combined, x 30.6 gal tank = 735 mile range.

If you're a "half a tank" guy you're going to be trying to fill up around 350 miles in, either way.
    I have a hard time believing the powerboost mpg. IIRC I had seen some testing that wasn't so favorable, but I could be remembering it wrong.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

F 150 hybrid has issues at this point

Tundra (wait a year or so) should be 23-ish legit. (19 combined on standard listed)

Hybrids don't help heavy vehicles much on the highway as the ICE motor is needed. I know a dude who had a Tahoe Hybrid and it got 19-20 in town and 19-20 on the road.

The biggest difference is going to be in town driving (and that's a good thing)

Toyota is pushing the "diesel like torque" of the hybrid not the milage. Half ton diesels have been a disaster (think emissions) (yes HD'S have lots of issues also). The Toyota motor PM for the Tundra is a diesel guy but he knows there is no interest for a 1500.
    Last edited by Navin Johnson; 12-27-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Received word this morning that Toyota has paused custom ordering currently. No word on when it will resume.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have a hard time believing the powerboost mpg. IIRC I had seen some testing that wasn't so favorable, but I could be remembering it wrong.
    I’m not saying I believe either of them - but it’s a starting point. Driving style and usage patterns can swing those numbers dramatically downward. I don’t have direct experience with the F150 hybrid system, but Ecoboosts in general all seem to be way thirstier than advertised unless you’re extremely deliberate on driving style and the onboard meter will lie nearly 8-10% high vs reality, too, at least in all the ones I’ve owned/driven/measured.

But as a starting point, the mpg differential could easily make up for the gas tank size diff, especially if your usage patterns benefit from a hybrid. They both have significant enough range that I see that being a really really minor factor in the big picture compared to the other long lists of pros/cons/benefits/concerns.

For example, wife minivan school pickup duty - Moving from gas Sienna to Hybrid Sienna has no shit doubled the tank-average fuel economy for my wife. But we’ve got 3 kids in 3 school buildings for drop-off/pickup and she’s ferrying them around and running to activities around town which suits the hybrid really well. On a hilly, high-speed turnpike trip it’s closer to a wash, and I have hunch that driving aggressively in big city freeway traffic would make me miss the ol V6.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Was in the Ford and Ram dealers this morning. No Raptors left for 2022, and they are selling their 2022 deliveries for $15k over sticker. TRX available at sticker, 14 weeks out from order. Used late model Raptors selling in the 70k's-80k's.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Received word this morning that Toyota has paused custom ordering currently. No word on when it will resume.
    There maybe several reasons for that. Dealers are taking peoples down payment, promising a fair KBB trade and then holding them hostage with a low trade. Kind of a bait and switch scheme. That's unethical and I don't think Toyota wants that reputation.

Or it could be that production is grinding to a halt due to parts availability. That would be my guess. I read that new Tundra is a 9-18 month wait.

https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-art...-1-5-year-wait
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Was in the Ford and Ram dealers this morning. No Raptors left for 2022, and they are selling their 2022 deliveries for $15k over sticker. TRX available at sticker, 14 weeks out from order. Used late model Raptors selling in the 70k's-80k's.
    It really surprises me that the TRX is going for sticker.

As far as Toyota not doing custom orders, thats been the case for a while now. One dealer near me for the 4runners is doing a waiting list for their allotments, $500 deposit to be on the list and they charge msrp and don't do the stupid dealer add on crap like tint and door frame protectors and whatnot. Another dealer is charging $6k over sticker on them and forcing their stupid dealer crap on you even though you're waiting God knows how long for the thing in the 1st place.

The math of a used vehicle doesnt make sense to me right now. The market will correct and when that happens, it seems to me that the depreciation of an inflated price used vehicle will be worse than the depreciation of a new one. My son's car got totaled. A used 2018 Subaru with 60k was 25k! We just went new AWD Camry for 35 @ 2% loan. Im betting the value will hold better on the new Camry vs the used Subaru and a market correction. As for trucks, I got rid of my 2019 Tundra TRD Off road limited and went back to Ram. Got a Rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    The math of a used vehicle doesnt make sense to me right now. The market will correct and when that happens, it seems to me that the depreciation of an inflated price used vehicle will be worse than the depreciation of a new one. My son's car got totaled. A used 2018 Subaru with 60k was 25k! We just went new AWD Camry for 35 @ 2% loan. Im betting the value will hold better on the new Camry vs the used Subaru and a market correction. As for trucks, I got rid of my 2019 Tundra TRD Off road limited and went back to Ram. Got a Rebel.
    As someone who has a keen interest in the Rebel can I ask what brought you back to that from the Tundra?

User Tag List