Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Relatively New Pickups

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That’s a feature not a bug. Actively broadcasting remotes are easier for thieves to spoof and steal.

A bunch of people had their trucks and guns stolen at the Sporting Clays Nationals in San Antonio with spoofing tech that amplifies he signal from your key fob.

Thread from a victim over at Shotgunworld:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads.../#post-4599752

Here’s a news story out of SanDiego. The video in the link gives a basic breakdown of how these attacks work, but there are YouTube videos that show you what to buy and how to do it.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/cr...a-054b7741eefb

Edited to tag @rob_s since he posted while I was posting. And @HCM since it’s in his area and he might be able to comment how common this is.
    There are a very limited number of car thieves that are technically proficient enough to steal cars by mimicking remote start and unlock features.

Ford trucks, particularly older F250/350 are both exceptionally easy to steal and are targeted in San Antonio for use in border smuggling operations.

Vehicle burglaries at hotels are also common here. If you were leaving guns in your car overnight at a hotel or even at an Airbnb you are wrong.

That said…..

I call bull shit on the mass theft in San Antonio. Variations of that same story about competitors being targeted at the NSSC have been going around for years. The prior versions claimed that while at the National shooting sports center competitors vehicles were physically marked and they were followed to homes /hotels where their vehicles were broken into in hopes of stealing guns. The first time this came up several years ago not only was it not in the local news but I checked with the local auto theft task force and they claimed it never happened.

Unless homeboy can come up with a police report number I called b******t. And even if he has a police report number It will not involve being targeted via the NSSC.

Final tip from my colleagues on the auto theft task force. LoJack is still the best option for getting your vehicle back. The professional thieves routinely disable factory systems such as OnStar.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-26-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My thoughts are to 1) not buy anything unless you have no other choice as you will overpay, and 2) buy nothing made anytime after 01-MAR-2020 as the parts and/or assembly are suspect.
    Suspect parts for sure. I know a guy working in a facility that supplies directly to automotive production lines. The stories are horrific. Im in the market for new kitchen appliances and the reliability reviews on refrigerators at Consumer Reports are terrible. Not sure if thats related to covid.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I guess there isn’t many Chevy guys on PF. I was in the market to upgrade my truck a few months ago, wasn’t looking for new and never traded in, always sold privately. The dealership offered me $5k more than I paid 5 years ago for my 2009 Silverado 2500HD and new prices haven’t changed like the used market so the price gap between them is smaller than ever. As a bonus side of the chip shortage no more auto stop and DFM in the new GM trucks. I ended up with a brand new LT Trail Boss, for the same price I was looking 2-3 year old trucks with 40,000 miles. I absolutely love this truck!!! Only 1,700 miles so far. I would definitely take a look at these if I were you.

Name:  9FC2E5F4-521B-4419-8738-D8C9AB52A74E.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  100.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    I guess there isn’t many Chevy guys on PF. ... I ended up with a brand new LT Trail Boss,
    Trail Boss is the best looking pickup out there, bar none. My next favorite is the Tacoma just based on looks.

When I was seriously shopping for a half ton I was down to TRD PRO Tundra, Trail Boss, and Power Wagon. All three trucks thread a great needle for enhanced 4wd combined with decent towing and payload without black-out levels of sticker shock.

Now that Tundra is on 3rd gen and the TRD PRO is likely going to be north of 65K, I'd be looking hard at the Trail Boss if you needed a half ton with enhanced 4wd capability.

I'm seeing alot of contractors in the oil field moving to these Trail Boss trucks.

All this said as a super fan of Toyotas going on 40+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    33 gallon fuel tank.
    The big fuel tank is extremely useful for us.
    My friends say I have a fetish about this. We transitioned from a 2003 Suburban with a 37gal tank to the 2014 F-150 with the 36gal tank, and range is one of the key features I look at with trucks (cars and motorcycles as well). I might stop every 2-300mi, but I sure hate having to stop, it never happens at a good time. If there is no crowd at the pumps we top off when we pee and snack, if it is a goat rodeo we fuel up the next stop. We might start full in the morning, or get 100mi down the road and get gas when we might stop for breakfast. Our F-150 is only six-speed, and the heavier steel body, and has 3.73 gears with the big mirrors so it only gets 16-18mpg on road trips (depending on speed) but is still nice to not have to start to wonder about it until 500mi.

One Sunday morning we headed home from a snowmobile trip in the Suburban (~400mi from home, not towing). My friend (who had a half ton Chevy with a small tank) asked me when I would need to stop for gas, I told him Tuesday or Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    My friends say I have a fetish about this. We transitioned from a 2003 Suburban with a 37gal tank to the 2014 F-150 with the 36gal tank, and range is one of the key features I look at with trucks (cars and motorcycles as well). I might stop every 2-300mi, but I sure hate having to stop, it never happens at a good time. If there is no crowd at the pumps we top off when we pee and snack, if it is a goat rodeo we fuel up the next stop. We might start full in the morning, or get 100mi down the road and get gas when we might stop for breakfast. Our F-150 is only six-speed, and the heavier steel body, and has 3.73 gears with the big mirrors so it only gets 16-18mpg on road trips (depending on speed) but is still nice to not have to start to wonder about it until 500mi.

One Sunday morning we headed home from a snowmobile trip in the Suburban (~400mi from home, not towing). My friend (who had a half ton Chevy with a small tank) asked me when I would need to stop for gas, I told him Tuesday or Wednesday.
    I'm a little OCD about always having "half a tank", and so I'm also a little obsessed with the larger tanks. I'm not saying all of my logic on this stands up to scrutiny, but it makes sense to me.

it's one of the things that keeps me away from an F150 hybrid... no large tank option.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    I guess there isn’t many Chevy guys on PF. I was in the market to upgrade my truck a few months ago, wasn’t looking for new and never traded in, always sold privately. The dealership offered me $5k more than I paid 5 years ago for my 2009 Silverado 2500HD and new prices haven’t changed like the used market so the price gap between them is smaller than ever. As a bonus side of the chip shortage no more auto stop and DFM in the new GM trucks. I ended up with a brand new LT Trail Boss, for the same price I was looking 2-3 year old trucks with 40,000 miles. I absolutely love this truck!!! Only 1,700 miles so far. I would definitely take a look at these if I were you.

Name:  9FC2E5F4-521B-4419-8738-D8C9AB52A74E.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  100.5 KB
    I just put almost $1000 in brakes and tires on my car, and to be honest I regret it a little. The trade in value is so stupid high, and new prices haven’t gone up the same amount. Part of me wishes I would have pulled the trigger, but my vehicle is paid off and I hate having a payment.

That all being said, you brought something up I hadn’t even thought of. I almost want to start a new thread on it. What undesirable “features” are currently missing because of the chip shortage? Is this just a one off thing with GM or is there more out there?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm a little OCD about always having "half a tank", and so I'm also a little obsessed with the larger tanks. I'm not saying all of my logic on this stands up to scrutiny, but it makes sense to me.
    My quirk is to be within range of the destination whenever possible. My little car can start full in the Chicago suburbs, make one sales visit on a Friday morning, and then make it home for a beer with my wife without farting around with a fuel stop. I watch the GPS for remaining mileage and will postpone a coffee/food/pee stop until that pending tankful of gas will get me where I am going.

Motorcycles are the tough one, I do not want one that will not go 200mi (current bike, FZ-1, just barely). I want one that will flirt with 300mi, but that either means giving up power (CBR500X?) or picking up weight to get a bigger bike (FJR?) that carries more. These days I am probably more willing to give up power.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    it's one of the things that keeps me away from an F150 hybrid... no large tank option.
    Hmmmmmm.... The F-150 hybrid is one thing that has me thinking emotionally. All the power of my current 3.5EB (plenty fast) truck, plus the power of the electric system, with an onboard genset. But I like our extended cab and that is not available, and now you tell me I would give up my big tank. Not like I would "actually" trade my 2014 with less than 100k, but this helps me not "want" to.

Both should be solid choices. For me it would boil down to how long I was planning on keeping it. If you only plan on driving it a short time (for me that's up to 4-5 years) I'd go with the Toyota for resale value towards getting a newer one. If I were keeping it long term I'd just go with the Ford and drive the wheels off of it. They are generally slightly more capable if hauling. If that's not a factor, just get the one you prefer more. The market is completely schitzo right now so bear that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    The market is completely schitzo right now so bear that in mind.
    That's my main concern. Prices have spiked compared to pre-COVID and parts quality has probably tanked but nobody knows when any of that will correct IF it corrects at all. Also, the cell carriers are dropping 3G support, so a lot of tech-enabled features are going away.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List