Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: P226, best DA/SA ever?

While not a P226, I have a 90’s P220 that is the first handgun I bought after turning 21. It’s been to Sig in years past for a trigger job, they essentially made a SRT before such thing was offered by name. I don’t carry it anymore due to size, weight, and capacity, but it is the one pistol I own that I can legitimately say has never had a malfunction. Everyone that I’ve let shoot it loves it and wants it, but it’s not for sale, ever. My old partner erroneously insists that it’s going to her when I kick the bucket, but I hope one of my kids eventually wants it. Good guns.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    No. S&W 3rd gen were hot garbage. I did my FI class, in 2005, next to a Chippy class where armorers would bring BOXES of guns to replace broken guns. None of the cadets at my academy in 1993 that carried S&W autos finished the academy with the guns they started with.
    I disagree.

My department issued the 659 starting in about 1984 followed by the 5906/6906 up until 2004. While I don't think anyone would argue with the fact the 5906 is a boat anchor, they were (and in the case of folks that kept there's) extremely reliable. CCCSO issued the 5906 all the way up until 2006 and had the same experience. We had a few guys that were 4506-1 holdouts that just recently retired. Same story...no problems with reliability.

They are certainly more complex inside than the Beretta or SIG. I think a lot of it has to do with how the guns are maintained. With the S&W autos proper lubrication and simple preventative maintenance goes a really long way. Keeping on top of small parts like the trigger play spring helps.

I'd have no problem carrying one again, although I dare say, it wouldn't be my first choice.

I like DA/SA handguns, I carried a 4506-1 as a duty weapon for a number of years. It was accurate and utterly reliable. Did the Glock/M&P thing for a few years but never warmed up to them. Fondled a 226 Legion in LGS a couple of years back and really liked the undercut trigger guard, checkering and the beaver tail. I purchased one, liked it enough to get a 229. Both have trigger work by the SIG Armorer and have become my primary handguns. Old eyes pretty much mandated a red dot, one wears a RMR the other a Holosun 508T. (I'm really liking that circle dot option)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It looks like the P226 factory milled slides (so called "Rx" slides) come with the Romeo 1 Pro. Is that optic footprint compatible with any other common dots?
    Delta Point Pro from what I understand.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I disagree.

My department issued the 659 starting in about 1984 followed by the 5906/6906 up until 2004. While I don't think anyone would argue with the fact the 5906 is a boat anchor, they were (and in the case of folks that kept there's) extremely reliable. CCCSO issued the 5906 all the way up until 2006 and had the same experience. We had a few guys that were 4506-1 holdouts that just recently retired. Same story...no problems with reliability.

They are certainly more complex inside than the Beretta or SIG. I think a lot of it has to do with how the guns are maintained. With the S&W autos proper lubrication and simple preventative maintenance goes a really long way. Keeping on top of small parts like the trigger play spring helps.

I'd have no problem carrying one again, although I dare say, it wouldn't be my first choice.
    The S&W third Gens had an incredibly short trigger reset. I like the ones I had.

My two CHP4006TSW, my 4506-1, and my 5903/3913 franken'smith are all works of art in machining. Heavy? A little over complicated? Oh hell yes. But reliable, accurate, smooth shooting, and with a factory TDA that eats SIG and Beretta's lunch? You bet.

The issue now is support. That said, I am one of those people with a bunch of spare parts for all my blasters, and I'm not afraid to get elbows deep in any of my S&Ws or my P228.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It looks like the P226 factory milled slides (so called "Rx" slides) come with the Romeo 1 Pro. Is that optic footprint compatible with any other common dots?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Delta Point Pro from what I understand.
    Maybe. Seguin has offered six different Optics cuts from the factory.

Speaking of which if someone has an older slide cut for the original Sigg Romeo/Romeo one proprietary footprint those can be recut to an RMR footprint

The “Pro” slides for the 226 and 320 are cut for the Romeo 1 Pro/DeltaPoint Pro, and also have RMR holes. I have heard that the support for the RMR footprint optics is not ideal on these, but CHPWS makes a plate that goes on those slides and mounts the RMR/SRO/Holosun. Apex makes a plate that mounts the Acro on these slides.

If that doesn’t give you the flexibility you want, Springer Precision will cut the Pro slides so they accept their Legion plates.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Reference the 226 grip, the 320 AXG grip seems to be 226 like in feel, and allows you to get higher on the grip than with a Legion Tungsten lower. This is a 320 I am shooting with the AXG grip, Lok heavy grips, and the 4.7 Pro slide with a 6 moa DP Pro.

Name:  024A2029-FD2D-4A8B-AA3C-79AA0AC2CD6F.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  70.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    But reliable, accurate, smooth shooting, and with a factory TDA that eats SIG and Beretta's lunch? You bet.
    I have owned a total of nine S&W 3rd gens in 9mm. With the dempanic pricing, I have cleared that out to just a pair of 3953s. Not a one of them came/comes close to the smoothness of a moderately worked over classic Sig. My best Sig is way better than the average. Haven't gotten into my 92D yet, but I expect it to be at least close to the average of the Sigs. In addition, the press on the 3953s is well above 10 lb, making it pretty difficult to put in the reps. Talked with Frank Glenn for awhile about doing something with them, and he said he'd tried everything back in the day, just couldn't get reliable ignition on the modified-DAO 3rd-gens if he lightened the trigger enough to make a difference.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List