Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: P226, best DA/SA ever?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I have owned a total of nine S&W 3rd gens in 9mm. With the dempanic pricing, I have cleared that out to just a pair of 3953s. Not a one of them came/comes close to the smoothness of a moderately worked over classic Sig. My best Sig is way better than the average. Haven't gotten into my 92D yet, but I expect it to be at least close to the average of the Sigs. In addition, the press on the 3953s is well above 10 lb, making it pretty difficult to put in the reps. Talked with Frank Glenn for awhile about doing something with them, and he said he'd tried everything back in the day, just couldn't get reliable ignition on the modified-DAO 3rd-gens if he lightened the trigger enough to make a difference.
    IME it is easier to get a good / really good trigger pull on a Beretta 92 and I prefer the "straight back" recoil impulse of the 92's lock up.

The downsides are the 92 grip is best suited to those (like myself) with larger hands, unless you get a Vertec frame and optics are a challenge vs the SIG.

I prefer either to the S&W 3rd gen guns. The S&W aren't bad but just don't do anything for me and the current scarcity of the spare parts needed to keep them running makes them a non starter.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I have owned a total of nine S&W 3rd gens in 9mm. With the dempanic pricing, I have cleared that out to just a pair of 3953s. Not a one of them came/comes close to the smoothness of a moderately worked over classic Sig. My best Sig is way better than the average. Haven't gotten into my 92D yet, but I expect it to be at least close to the average of the Sigs. In addition, the press on the 3953s is well above 10 lb, making it pretty difficult to put in the reps. Talked with Frank Glenn for awhile about doing something with them, and he said he'd tried everything back in the day, just couldn't get reliable ignition on the modified-DAO 3rd-gens if he lightened the trigger enough to make a difference.
    So a factory S&W 3rd gen doesnt come close to a "moderately worked over classic Sig"? Uh... no doubt. A friend has a SIG custom shop tuned P228 that is beautiful, both in in trigger quality and appearance. Much better than my CHP4006TSWs, my 3913, or my wannabe SSV (5903/3913 frankensmith). But they are stock triggers.

3953s arent traditional DAO, they are "pre-loaded" DA hence you dont have second strike capability. There are some 3913s out there, weirdly enough in model number that are DAO. My 3953 is bone stock and is right around 10l-12b pull mark, but it is smooth 10-12#'ish pull. There are things that can be done to lighten and further smooth out all 3rd Gens. Wolff now has spring kits for almost all S&W 3rd Gens. The kits will include mainsprings and trigger return springs of various weights. ETA: Apparently you can also call and ask about some sub-17 hammer springs/mainsprings.
    Without cutting sear engagements, another thing you can do is clean up, or polish, the trigger bow and the points on the frame the bow contacts. I have done these two U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-Ds to my 4506-1 and am VERY happy with the DA and SA pulls, both of which are lighter and smoother with that super short factory reset the S&Ws are known for.

There are fewer S&W 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen knowledgable 'smiths every year it seems. Novaks still does S&W metal frame work. I *think* Sokol does as well. There is a guy on smith-wessonforum.com that goes by BMCM who does work on S&W 3rd gens and people are raving about. I am sending 3 slides to him when his schedules clears up to have them converted to decocker only (aint nuthin but a G thang). I may send my 3913 frame and have him do a his "PC" trigger job on it.
    Last edited by Brian T; 12-25-2021 at 03:08 PM.

This thread caused me to take a peek on gunbroker and third gen Smith and Wesson prices are insane. I have a tub of them, mostly 10mm and 3913/Ladysmiths that I should probably send to new homes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This thread caused me to take a peek on gunbroker and third gen Smith and Wesson prices are insane. I have a tub of them, mostly 10mm and 3913/Ladysmiths that I should probably send to new homes.
    Hi. I represent a group that rehomes lost and unwanted 3rd Generation S&Ws. We are currently very short on 39xx series. We would be happy to take several off your hands....

Lol....

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    PF has gone to hell.

No love for the P30 in here?
    Lots of love. The P226 sits in the safe while I carry a P30 LEM. Purely preference
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    There are fewer S&W 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen knowledgable 'smiths every year it seems. Novaks still does S&W metal frame work. I *think* Sokol does as well. There is a guy on smith-wessonforum.com that goes by BMCM who does work on S&W 3rd gens and people are raving about. I am sending 3 slides to him when his schedules clears up to have them converted to decocker only (aint nuthin but a G thang). I may send my 3913 frame and have him do a his "PC" trigger job on it.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/custome...on-gunsmithing

The factory still has 3rd gen action work listed as an option on their website. I don't know if that's an oversight or if they still have someone in Springfield who happened to be around during the metal-framed auto era. Or was trained by someone who was. I kinda get the impression that's the only reason Colt is still cataloging the SAA. Two or three guys could get hit by a bus tomorrow and that factory option would go away.

PF has gone to hell.

I EDC a P30sk LEM daily. Massive love for all HK line here.

I'm pretty sure that @GJM hit the Christmas eggnog a little too early as evidenced by this thread. That said, I swore that Sig would never see another dollar from me after they killed off the P225, P225-A1 and P239. I loved my P series Sigs and miss the ones I owned so recently have started thinking about get the P226 DA/SA Legion. The one I test fired at my local range was like old home week and shot far better that anything I have used in the last 20+ years. The smaller controls never mattered to me as I'm a lefty and can decock with my forefinger and work the slide with an overhand grip.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I still have a 3913 and a 4516-1 that aren’t looking for new homes. Two of my favorite guns I don’t carry much. But I would in a heartbeat - they are reliable and accurate little guns.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I disagree.

My department issued the 659 starting in about 1984 followed by the 5906/6906 up until 2004. While I don't think anyone would argue with the fact the 5906 is a boat anchor, they were (and in the case of folks that kept there's) extremely reliable. CCCSO issued the 5906 all the way up until 2006 and had the same experience. We had a few guys that were 4506-1 holdouts that just recently retired. Same story...no problems with reliability.

They are certainly more complex inside than the Beretta or SIG. I think a lot of it has to do with how the guns are maintained. With the S&W autos proper lubrication and simple preventative maintenance goes a really long way. Keeping on top of small parts like the trigger play spring helps.

I'd have no problem carrying one again, although I dare say, it wouldn't be my first choice.
    I agree with KevH. I had a 4003 and 5906 that were both police trade ins. I shot them quite a bit and the only failure was a double feed in the 4003 with the crappy WWB.

Would’ve got another to carry at work, but the discontinuation of parts made me choose the Beretta instead. I never needed parts in my other ones, but with my luck, once parts are harder to find, I’d need them. Lol.

Site Supporter
    PF has gone to hell.

HK/P30 love here was always based on the LEM. The poor DA/SA triggers of the USP/P30/HK45 series have always been their Achilles heel.

User Tag List