Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: P226, best DA/SA ever?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I would be inclined to agree with you on all counts except that damn slide release and my thumb have never fully seen eye to eye despite years and thousands of rounds of trying.

That said it certainly is in the top running for finest combat handgun ever made. In the end though - I just shoot the 92 series better.

Site Supporter
    Not a lot of experience with the 226. I had a M11 which was nice but I wanted a rail to mount a light if I felt the need too. Got my 229 E2 recently after seeing Breakingtime91 posts about his and I'm very pleased with mine. Stippled the E2 grip and installed Gray Guns Master Spring Kit and new sights. I just ordered the SIG 229 RXP Romeo 1 Pro Slide to try out a MRDS on it.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I really like 226s. But I prefer Beretta. I traded a 88 west German 226 for my m9a1 compact. While I do miss it I don't regret the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I would be inclined to agree with you on all counts except that damn slide release and my thumb have never fully seen eye to eye despite years and thousands of rounds of trying.

That said it certainly is in the top running for finest combat handgun ever made. In the end though - I just shoot the 92 series better.
    I trimmed the factory slide release down which fixed that problem. Add in g10 grips, a SRT, and Heine straight 8s I had mine set up perfect.

This wasn't intended to be a 226 vs 92 thread, but the comparison is probably inevitable.

As long as I can remember, it has been established that the 92 is superior, and I have a few dozen 92 pistols, including some very special ones.

Despite that, the 226 has always been easier to do iron sights and red dots on, and easier to reload because of the profile of the magazines and mag wells. G capability was also standard on the 226.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I have several hammer fired pistols and I rank the 226 near the bottom of the list. I shoot mostly Glocks and buy other pistols out of curiosity. I have less than 200 rounds through my 226. It feels too big for my hands, and it frequently fails to ignite rounds on the first trigger pull. I think the ignition problem is from my thumb riding the decocker. Without really trying to learn the pistol, every else I own has better ergos for me and the Berettas have better trigger pulls. That said, I think my problems with the 226 are my problems and it's a great pistol. I'd really like to get a 229 at some point.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I ended up trading a Langdon Beretta for an older production P226. Despite the sig having a heavier trigger and worse sights, I found myself shooting it better. They carry about the same for me, and I like the shorter beaver tail on the sig.

In the end, a red dot really important for my shooting and my vision, so a MOS Glock is a better shooter for me than any iron sighted gun I’ve tried so far. I really need to get the sig cut for a dot though.

Site Supporter
    I wrote the proposal for my former agency to transition from revolvers to the SIG P226 so you can imagine my feelings on this issue. I later wrote the proposal to transition to the .40 226. I was already somewhat dubious about the need for the .40 even then, but I was the junior firearms instructor and the best writer. The department was well served by the 226, complemented by a couple 228's for officers with smaller hands, 230's for detectives, and later 239's for detectives and some with smaller hands.

Some years after adopting the .40 226, we sustained multiple cracks in the frames. We never determined the cause of the problem. SigSauer treated us right, but could not identify the problem (so they told us). This led to the adoptation of the FNS-9, a disaster I recounted here before. At least one officer retained his retired 9mm 226 as an off-duty weapon.

My stable includes my retired 9mm 226, my retired .40, a 228, a 239, and a 229. My .40's are holding up, but if I were carrying a DA/SA, I'm opt for a 9mm 226.

I prefer DA/SA and very much like the P226 especially the MK25 with a SRT installed.I personally don't care for the smaller decoking lever and slide release on the Legions.I'm sorry Sig discontinued the P225 and P239.I'm also sorry they discontinued the P226ST/P226 Elite(sorry I think that was the model for the all stainless P226).In lieu of Beretta's all stainless X92 Performance,Sig might want to consider reintroducing the all stainless pistol similar to their discontinued X5.
    Last edited by RONK; 12-24-2021 at 09:33 PM.

I have faaaaaaar more rounds through the SIG Sauer P-series, and I owned waaaaaaay too damned many of them over the years. I now only own a P228 which will get GGI parts and APW nickeled.

I have been stockpiling Beretta mags for my eventual 92LTT that will eventually get doped up with LTT parts.

I would love to shoot a B92 with LTT parts side-by-side with a 226 with GG1 parts...

---------------

But there's this voice, whispering to me, telling me "You already have the P228, get a P226 and forget them pizza guns." It has a kraut accent.

And then there's this other voice whispering "You know damned good and well S&W made the better TDA, you just didnt know it until it was too late. Get yourself 5906 to go with your other 3rd gens. You're a S&W man."

----------------

So I am just gonna keep shooting this damned Staccato P and like it!

User Tag List