Thread: Pistol comparison

Pistol comparison

I currently carry a glock 17 gen 5 mos with a holosun 407c and a tlr1 in a phlster floodlight. It carries fine but occasionally I think about getting something smaller. I thought about picking up a Glock 43x mos or a Glock 48 mos and putting a dot on. But I have recently started thinking about getting a Glock 19 instead. I’ve had a 26 in the past and while I liked it, I didn’t really like how small the grip was top to bottom. So how much smaller is the 43x or 48? I know the 48 is basically a Glock 19 in singleish stack and the 43x has a shorter slide. I’m more curious about the thickness, on paper it doesn’t seem like a huge difference and I know that can be subjective I’m just curious if the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak as I would have to get different mags, mag pouches, holster is a wash as I would get a new holster either way. Only interested in glocks as I carry a Glock on duty and prefer to stay with one platform. This will be carried aiwb as well if it matters.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Note. I've not (yet) converted to or even have tried the MOS stuff yet (only rifle red dot sights so far for me).

I'm a Glock-guy going back to my academy days, although I'm now retired.
    As I still own several Glocks (used to have even more) it's just nice to have a selection with the various sizes from which to choose, either based on my mood; what I'm wearing; or the mission (where I might be going nowadays).

Try to plan on buying whichever Glock you'll want to try next. Don't plan on selling it. Devise your personal budget and even determine if there's some type of IRS Schedule A tax write-off (although I doubt there will be unless you're spending a whole heck of a lot on work/business-related expenses). I suspect most folks on a cop's salary can at least afford & budget one handgun/year. I've come across some who have more disposable income than others and some might even be buying ~5 firearms/year.

Do try to use your "Blue Label" Glock pricing which can be $100+ savings per Glock.

I currently have a G34gen4, G17gen5, G19gen5, G26gen3, G43, two other Glocks and some other brands of handguns from which to choose. With those first five Glocks I always had more than enough for my wants/needs. The Glocks with the additional backstraps I'll use the medium size. I might even put some tape around the grip just for a little bit more circumference & feel. The G43 has a Hogue rubber grip sleeve on it, but those are my hands and preferred grip feel.

When I was working, I mainly carried an issued G17gen4 and the personally-owned G43 or G26 as a backup gun. While some other agencies in my area allowed a G34 sized Glock, I had to carry the issued G17. When I first started, it was a .40S&W world, so I first had the G22 and G27 in earlier generations, but the sizes were the same.

I actually like the G19 size very much and I'll mostly be carrying either the G26 or G19 in my retired personal life. I seldom carry the G43 anymore as I'd bought it mainly as a BUG, yet I know others who really prefer the smaller G43 for off-duty or retired life.

Overall, I don't find a big difference between the G17 and G19 when out & about town, yet the G19 size is just that little bit smaller which I admit I do like.

Again, plan on buying them all and have that personal flexibility allowing you to choose whatever you want to wear for whatever you might be doing or where you're going. You don't have to over-think it. Just carry something (and handcuffs, cell-phone, spare mag, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    I currently carry a glock 17 gen 5 mos with a holosun 407c and a tlr1 in a phlster floodlight. It carries fine but occasionally I think about getting something smaller. I thought about picking up a Glock 43x mos or a Glock 48 mos and putting a dot on. ....
    A G17 gen with a holosun 407c and a tlr1 is a lot of gun. If you want something a bit smaller, a G19 with a TL7 would be a more compact package, yet it still retains a lot of capacity and performance.

I can't speak to the G43X or G48, but I recall seeing some discussion on P-F indicating they're a little more finicky than the double stack glocks.

Site Supporter
    I just bought 2 Glocks on Gunbroker for my kids for Christmas. With the proper support equipment guns are pretty easy to move on if they are not the right ones for you. You might lose a little in the transaction-if you are not happy consider difference between purchase and selling price as a rental or try-out fee.

I very firmly agree that for most guns you need to think about a system of belts, holsters, mag carriers, mags.....

pat

I would recommend giving the g26 another shot. A pinky extension or 12 round mag helps me a lot on the draw. You’ll be able to use the same holsters and mags. You won’t give up as much shooting performance compared to the smaller single stacks.

I used to carry a G17 aiwb but I just felt the butt of the gun was little too much from a printing perspective. I switched to a g19 and it prints less but I don't **feel** a difference from a size or weight perspective.

Every once in awhile I'll carry a G43 AIWB and its a night an day difference on my belt. The numbers may seem small on paper but on my belt, it looks and feels so much lighter and thinner. Sorry don't have a g43x/48 but I hope this is a data point that can help you.

Site Supporter
    What about a grip chop on your 17 to 19 length?
    --Jason--

Glock 19 is the sweet spot for me. I
    shoot it better than a 43 or 48, and it’s still easy to conceal.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'd stay w/ a double stack model so all your 17 mags would work in the new gun too. While it is just one carry gun for me. My M&P compact has mags ranging from the OE 12 rounder through 14, 15, and 17. I had been carrying w/ the 15 but the end of the grip was always digging into the side bolsters in the car seats. I just switched to the 14 (a 12 w/ a plus2 base) from the 15 and the 3/8" shorter grip definitely helps. Whatever is in the gun, my spare is always a 17 w/ a sleeve. My wife's G19 carry gun is carried w/ the stock 15 but her spare is a 17 w/ a sleeve.

Simplicity's sake says the G19 is the right answer - same holsters, same mag pouches, you can use your G17 mags in the G19, etc, etc.

The G43X and G48 are significantly slimmer for IWB carry, but I've sold off all my slimline Glocks except for the G42. The factory grip "texture" in the small glocks is so slick, and the grips are so slim, that I simply cannot hold onto them in recoil worth a poop, especially when compared to the grips on a Shield Plus or 365 family pistol. The 43 in particular was truly obnoxious in terms or felt recoil and "snappiness" for me, though I'm closer to 60 than 50 and my grip strength isn't what it used to be, so many others might not notice it.

The question YOU need to answer is: do you want a pistol that's significantly easier to carry and conceal, but also significantly harder to shoot well; or a pistol that's slightly easier to conceal, but every bit as shootable as your G17?

If you do decide to go the slimline route, if you're going to AIWB, you'll be doing so in a G48-length holster anyway, so I don't see where the G43X really saves you anything (except some minimal weight savings).

Seriously, though, I know you want to stay Glock for familiarity's sake, but that argument really only holds water if you go to the G19. If you're going down to the 43, 43X/48 pistols, they're different enough that it'll be like a whole new platform. At which point I'd seriously urge you to consider the Shield Plus or the P365X/XL. I'm a primary GLOCK duty guy for the last 20+ years and I've dumped all my mini Glocks for those two pistols. Haven't decided yet which is the ultimate small off-duty gun, but they're both light years ahead of Glock's offerings, IMHO. For me, the rankings are as follows:

Grip size/shape/texturing: Shield Plus, 365XL/X, 365, 43X/48, 43
    Trigger: Shield Plus, 365 curved trigger, 365 straight trigger, anything Glock
    Accuracy: 365XL, Shield Plus, pretty much everything else noticeably behind
    Recoil: Tie Shield Plus and 365XL, 365X, G48, 365, 43X/43
    Factory Sights: 365 family, Shield Plus, Glocks

It's important to note that while the MOS pistols and Shield Plus are "optics ready" from the factory, that is only with the optic direct milled from the factory. Anything else is going to need after market plates - which are slow in coming for the Shield Plus. In that light, the 365X/XL are the "easy button" for tiny optics on tiny pistols.

User Tag List