Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will optics and sights for handguns go next?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    Frame mount that puts the dot over the back of the slide: https://www.evergladesammo.com/eg-rt...pe-mounts.html
    There is a reason they call it the "way back" mount and not just the dot position. That's how dots were mounted "way back" in the day.

Like the ALG, Agency and carver mounts they solve one problem but create another. Too bulky for practical use.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is a reason they call it the "way back" mount and not just the dot position. That's how dots were mounted "way back" in the day.

Like the ALG, Agency and carver mounts they solve one problem but create another. Too bulky for practical use.
    Yeah, it’s just one step forwards (and backwards). I kinda want to get one and play with kydex for it, but it would be hard to do retention holsters with the way back mount.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What makes you think some some Gov/military group hasn't asked for such a thing ?

Just like they have asked for RDS optics which direct mount to the original MOS cut and allow use of standard height sights.
    I'd imagine some of them probably have, but it's going to take a seriously LARGE contract order to make any manufacturer willing to spend the R&D it would require.
    It's probably bound to happen eventually, one way or another, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    4 Romeo 1s (and a RMR on a G19).
    What was that about “fool me once?”

What does it mean when you go “fool me four times?”

I broke 5 Romeo 3M.

Have not broken any SROs by shooting.

So instead of extrapolating your experience to PMOs…

It’s really just limited mainly to Sigs being proportionately junk.

And yes, kick your friend in the nuts again for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    Yeah, it’s just one step forwards (and backwards). I kinda want to get one and play with kydex for it, but it would be hard to do retention holsters with the way back mount.
    If just experimenting I’d probably go with something like the Carver, AL G or agency mount just because it doesn’t require a permanent modification.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I'd imagine some of them probably have, but it's going to take a seriously LARGE contract order to make any manufacturer willing to spend the R&D it would require.
    It's probably bound to happen eventually, one way or another, but I'm not holding my breath.
    The request for the optic that mounts directly to the MOS cut is from an agency with 45,000 armed LEO Which means the agency would probably buy at least 50,000.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post

@JCS Besides drizzle the closed emitter means you don't have to clean lint off your optic every other day. With the Acro (both P-1 and P-2) I don't get the double dot effect in low sunlight. ... It's just an all around superior design except for being bigger.
    On occasion, down at Gunsite (in the summer, later in the afternoon), I'll get a second dot. A very slight lateral tightening of, pressure on my grip identifies the false dot as it's the one that doesn't move.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    @GJM mentioned this within the last few months - just get every man'f to mill their slides for the Acro footprint. That would fix (a lot) of the mounting issues.

'19 SHOT Holosun had a prototype open emitter optic that sat real low on the slide. The Brit Shield sights / 507K (don't know about the RMRcc) currently sit low enough to use factory irons with them. Repeating this would rugged, quality optics would be great.

Both of the above would nicely integrate the Atei Shim sight concept with a move far away from suppressor height sights.
    When I saw "-just get every man'f to mill their slides..," I read it as "just get every mofo to mill their slides..." and thought that it might work but seems harsh! 😁

My first exposure to a CO was about 25 years ago.
    A shooter here had a Glock 24 with an optic sunk deep into the slide, as low as possible without breaking into the striker channel.
    I don't recall the brand, likely Tasco, maybe Firepoint or JP, but all those were the same profile anyhow.

The current crop of dots have brighter pippers, longer battery life, and less inconvenient adjustments, but they are no better, if quite as good for actually aiming the gun because they are not as low and because the window these days is usually cluttered with vestigial iron sights.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    On occasion, down at Gunsite (in the summer, later in the afternoon), I'll get a second dot. A very slight lateral tightening of, pressure on my grip identifies the false dot as it's the one that doesn't move.
    What dot is this with? My knowledge of dots is pretty much limited to competition stuff and the SRO is known for that. I'm curious if it happens with all the open emmitter dots.

Try drawing your gun in the PNW in the rainy season. Which is pretty much 12 months a year.
    Makes sense. We haven't had rain in like 50 something days where I live so I forget all the world is not like the Midwest. That does seem to be a major drawback for people in your style of climate.

I agree. Reliability, durability, and standardization are my priorities. However, while the high-end of PMOs will almost certainly please us in P-F, I have a different prediction about the broader market. PMOs will become ubiquitous, but will be like High Points not Glocks. New buyers will want a PMO, but won't want to pay an extra $400. The result: a sock-drawer gun with a Yeet-Dot that won't hold zero, or will go dark after 2 shots.

Timmy thoughts:
    Bizarrely, my vision is still really good and I have no problem shooting irons. And even it weren't, I prefer target focus with blurry iron sights. I may carry my new P-07/509t2 when I'm in the backcountry--because why not? But for 95% of my CCW needs, I have no plans to add the bulk and complexity of a PMO. If that makes me a unicorn or a dinosaur, so be it.

CO:
    I promised my USPSA mentor that I would shoot CO for the off season. I agree with @cheby that it's fun. As my former coach predicted, I've learned a lot by shooting CO. And it is fun. But, it's also been a total pain in the ass: 4 broken or malfunctioning PMOs, rain in the emitter, having to check zero all the effing time, mag extensions that barely fit 23, etc. The SRO I have now seems to be solid, so far. But, I am not planning on buying a backup gun. I hate equipment that's on the bleeding edge, and CO still feels that way.
    Are you running it on Shadow 2s? People have theorized that the metal framed guns are harder on dots. Durability made me hesitate on switching to CO because I don't have alot of money to spend testing dots and guns. I wanted something that would work and pretty much the only one that's reliable is the SRO. I think Hwansik has something like 75,000 through one of his. I wanted to like the Sig Romeo line but they are notorious for being junk. Competition is going to help develop durable red dots I think. But I suppose that competition and duty dots will always be two different animals. Because of the reduced window size the closed emitters probably won't ever be popular in USPSA.

User Tag List